Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overcrowding and the death of dancing

Well this looks interesting and I hope it's a sign of things to come. Soulwax and LCD Soundsystem putting on nights where sound quality and dancing is emphasized over DJ worship and gadget wankery.

Here's a timelapse of the set up.

An interview where they discuss what they were aiming for - includes talk on the death of dancing and the concert feel of modern clubs.

Links to the transscript etc are at the bottom of this page

I prefer the semi-legal warehouse raves these days, despite invariably rubbish bogs. Would consider going to squat parties again if they didn't play rubbish d'n'b and tekno and weren't full of nobheads.
A club I go to has a 'keine foto' policy and cos the crowd are pretty loyal and cohesive and value the clubnight, they pretty much respect it, so enforcement is not needed.

It really does. The DJs were partly obscured by screens, too. Everyone facing whichever way they want and having a good boogie :cool:
i cracked up at Moodymann talking about his djing behind a sheet, and having a bed there too :D respect where hes coming from on pretty much every count.

Well this looks interesting and I hope it's a sign of things to come. Soulwax and LCD Soundsystem putting on nights where sound quality and dancing is emphasized over DJ worship and gadget wankery.

Looked a bit dull tbh. Needs some podiums. :D

Links to the transscript etc are at the bottom of this page

snuck in a cheeky watch of it - looks absolutely spot on. Play some good tunes and Im sure it would be a great night. I wonder if a visit to London will follow. Their problem is now theyve moved in to soundboy business is finding a lock up and someone to drive it around and set it up everytime - not easy, and lot harder (and more expensive) work than just turning up!

The old Brixton Fridge had a great circular soundsystem like this I thought

snuck in a cheeky watch of it - looks absolutely spot on. Play some good tunes and Im sure it would be a great night. I wonder if a visit to London will follow. Their problem is now theyve moved in to soundboy business is finding a lock up and someone to drive it around and set it up everytime - not easy, and lot harder (and more expensive) work than just turning up!

The old Brixton Fridge had a great circular soundsystem like this I thought

I like that there's no bar at one side of the dancefloor, nor a real "front" for people to push past you to get to. It's a nightmare when you feel like you're in traffic on the dancefloor. Especially when it's overcrowded.

I know a few people who went to Despacio (I was at a 50th bbq:rolleyes:). Everyone said it was amazing, brilliant sound, very loud apparently.

On the ground I see a lot of young uns who are getting into house music after previously listening to dubstep. I said it would come, the availability of good MDMA and pills, people must start dancing again.

Bit of a feature on ch4 News just now about the house revival.

Not one mention of the return of proper dance drugs.:hmm:

Is this anything new? Concerts were always super crowded, especially back in the day when it was only festival seating.

Clubs? Starting in the 80s, people would form lines, strangers, and grind and grope each other while gyrating to the music. Nobody seemed to care.

There is no way near enough room to form a conga in a busy club

This wasn't really a conga. It was a raised flat surface in this one club: four or five people would get on it, stationary dancing, groping, rubbing etc. Maybe it was an exhibitionist kind of thing. Other places, three or four people would 'get together' stationary on the dance floor.

That Despecio night and set up is coming to London on the 19th and 20th of December,

Here's some more blurb about the sound system and he's my favourite bit of the article:
"If you are in a restaurant, the chef isn't at the front of the room throwing food at you. He's in the kitchen and when the food comes out you are with the food and not with the chef." Despacio is about immersing yourself in the music, not fawning over and fuelling the ego of the person behind the decks.
They're saying all the right things! I'd love to see Andy Weatherall on this, rather than 2ManyDJs but I'd settle for the latter anyway.

what do 2manydjs play like fez?

They play absolutely all sorts, but often electroclash remixes of whatever they happen to be playing. Student music, IMO. Although I think the stuff they played for this even in Manc was a bit more disco/funk/house based than normal.

You must have heard one of the Radio Soulwax mixes? #2 has got to be one of the most famous DJ mixes of all time, I'd have thought. Maybe not, though!

You must have heard one of the Radio Soulwax mixes? #2 has got to be one of the most famous DJ mixes of all time, I'd have thought. Maybe not, though!
nope. seen the name about but im not even sure what genre they are associated with. ill have a look at the soulwax thing
either way im not going to pay £30 to go and hear this amazing soundsystem-especially so if its sold out, whichll mean its packed

nope. seen the name about but im not even sure what genre they are associated with. ill have a look at the soulwax thing
either way im not going to pay £30 to go and hear this amazing soundsystem-especially so if its sold out, whichll mean its packed

No it won't be packed. Have a look at the video above! Part of the reason for doing this was to make dancing a thing again, and I'm sure the Manc one sold out. Busy yes, but not packed.

But £30 though :eek: Fuck that!

There is no way near enough room to form a conga in a busy club

You can be in a sold-out gig for a band with a decent following, and there'll still be room for some kind of dancing. A motorhead gig I went to springs to mind; not a massive fan, went mainly for the experience of motorhead - fucking rammed, but still managed to squeeze in spin pits, stomping etc... People from about 16-60 dancing like idiots for 2 hours... Patched bikers and teens together. On the other hand I've been to gigs with devout followings where every fucker has stood there and tried to look like they're appreciating the music. Really don't think it has anything to do with packed dancefloors, more something where people having no pride in dancing, or no knowledge of how to get stuck in.

Back
Top Bottom