Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overcrowding and the death of dancing

did you miss the mdma drought of the late 00s? no fucker would have touched meph if they could have gotten mandy.
I didn't notice a drought... I don't do mdma that often and i'm lucky to have a very well connected (though expensive) dealer who never seems to run out of anything.

Bit of a feature on ch4 News just now about the house revival.
Not one mention of the return of proper dance drugs.:hmm:

Not just the return of proper drugs, but an increase in purity, too.
At around 4am, an hour before the club closes, Measham goes into the men's toilets with a big syringe and siphons off urine to see whether what clubbers think they've taken tallies with what they actually have. Results will not be published until next year, but she says early indications are that drugs are becoming purer, from a nadir in 2009-10 when she was testing pills and powders that contained not a grain of what they purported to be.
Source

After a very succesfull dance work out till dawn on NYE despite it being a sold out venue I have some faith restored - to add to the positive perspective this article makes for good reading - we should be thankful for what we've got:

You’re too Young to Remember the Eighties – Dancing in a different time

It’s easy to forget in this age of all night parties, after hour’s clubs and late licensing that there was once a time when all venues were shut by 2am. The early Eighties were a grim time for going out to party. Most discos were overpriced watering holes where entrance meant being scrutinized by door staff checking you looked respectable. For some reason white shoes were de rigueur. The first album I owned in the late Seventies, which I had listened to religiously on cassette tape, was the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. It introduced me to the concept of a glamorous nightlife where DJ’s mixed the beat and beautiful people danced the night away, this was something strictly lacking in the nightclubs of South East London at that time. There music was strictly soul boy jazz funk and sophisticated meant getting down on to the floor to do the rowing boat dance. Going out dancing in Woolwich on a Saturday night was more a case of surviving the beer boys and avoiding handbags strewn on the dance floor.
Lots more http://datacide.c8.com/you’re-too-young-to-remember-the-eighties-–-dancing-in-a-different-time/

too right!
never mind SE London, imagine a west Wales town 50 miles from Cardiff!, shudder :(

I was dancing all night in a warehouse in Deptford on NYE with 200 other folks. Death of dancing my arse.
Bring back poppers on the dance floor!

Luke Vibert turns things on its head: we've now got the crowd facing the DJ and the DJ facing away :D

Is that a pre-warm-up set or what?
yawn.gif

Luke Vibert turns things on its head: we've now got the crowd facing the DJ and the DJ facing away :D

Thats standard for boiler room sets, they almost always have the crowd behind them, filmings are normally all guestlist only, so they're not paying to get in...... People from the crowd often just walk up to the dj etc.

There's some boiler room sets that are blatantly just in someones sitting room :D

Boiler room isn't a great example tbh, they're just promo sets filmed to look good online.......

Thats standard for boiler room sets, they almost always have the crowd behind them, filmings are normally all guestlist only, so they're not paying to get in...... People from the crowd often just walk up to the dj etc.

There's some boiler room sets that are blatantly just in someones sitting room :D

Boiler room isn't a great example tbh, they're just promo sets filmed to look good online.......
Now you mention it, they are all like that, eh? :facepalm:

Sorry guys, nothing new here :oops:

I watched most of Objeckt's night on Boiler room the other night - very enjoyable. The girl doing the kick drum orientated techno was playing very hypnotic sounds that seemed to be mainly kick drums with effects... Also listened to some of the recent gabba night which was ok, though the comments in the chat were tearing apart some of the earlier DJ's ...

I watched most of Objeckt's night on Boiler room the other night - very enjoyable. The girl doing the kick drum orientated techno was playing very hypnotic sounds that seemed to be mainly kick drums with effects... Also listened to some of the recent gabba night which was ok, though the comments in the chat were tearing apart some of the earlier DJ's ...

Recent gabber night?

Do tell......

I know they've had panacea, limewax and someone else (i cant remember), but thats more heavy heavy dnb.... I didn't know BR had gone full gabber.

Otto Von Schirach is probably on of my favourites, there's costume changes and everything.

Who.was 'the girl'?

and what was the gabba one?

Back
Top Bottom