Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overcrowding and the death of dancing

But... in those Boiler Room vids, everyone's still facing the DJ, just facing his back rather than each other :confused: - still wank. The only redeeming feature, as previously mentioned, is that they're on the same level as the dancefloor, not elevated somewhere high-up and "god-like" in the rafters.

That Ben Klock vid made me chukkle :D though.

i dont have a problem with dancing in rows facing the same direction - partly its so youre facing the speaker stack and getting the sound thrown at you equally - but the key thing is interaction with each other on the dancefloor, letting go, and having the room to move, and i have seen a couple of boilerooms where it has gone off like a normal dance (such as the aba shanti/jah tubbys/channel one gig - which on the footage was dark and you cant really see the crowd) - but with the vast majority i think people are very conscious of the camera and react to it in some way, and i think thats what gives boiler room that weird/self-conscious/awkward vibe.

I remember getting really put off if a camera ever showed up at a rave back in the day - for me it completely took me out of the moment. Its great that we have a little footage that captured that era, but if im dancing freely and next things a camera is pointed at me i'll stop (and hide) - some people can carry on and maybe even play up for the camera. knowing that a camera is on you from the start would definitely modify my behaviour.

I rarely dance anyway but a camera would totally throw me. Can't really remember there being any at the parties I used to go to when I used to be in a warehouse every weekend.

I rarely dance anyway but a camera wwould totally throw me. Can't really remember there being any at the parties I used to go to when I used to be in a warehouse every weekend.
every once in a while theyre'd be a white light making its way thought the crowd and a massive vhs on the shoulder jobby - ive always hated cameras tbh, only just learning to pose in the odd friends and family shot, but it still feels very forced

I always used to prefer parties with lots of rooms, when I'd get to a rave and it was just one big room it was a bit of a disappointment. Parties were about lots of things. The music, yes, obviously. But I can appreciate music without dancing to it. Looking around the building- inside and out, trying to get on the roof, tagging, even a bit of vandalism sometimes. The people, the drugs, buying and selling, doing deals, they were what going out was all about for me. Not to mention finding out where the party was and trying to get to it! Some amazing buildings from massive office blocks to a school with a swimming pool which had changing rooms sized for primary school aged children. Squatted nightclubs, warehouse complexes. Etc.

Just like I don't go to football solely for what happens on the pitch, I don't go out raving for what happens on the dancefloor.

Apologies if this has been done but I can't really remember what's been said on the thread.

That's fine as long as you stay off the dancefloor.
But I personally find it impossible not to dance if I'm enjoying the music.

It kills the vibe and you get in the way.
All that stuff you described, I find tiresome, which is why I prefer proper small clubs - one room, one DJ, tiny bar, minimal lights and decor, just loud music, darkness and dancing
Sounds like we just disagree, tbf. I don't see one view/preference being better or more important than the other.

Besides, if someone simply not dancing kills your vibe it doesn't sound like there's much of a vibe to start with! :D

Im kind of with OU on this - to me a dancefloor is like an eco-system, and every littlest thing that happens on it feeds back in to making it work - thats where little bits of eye contact, mind melding and non verbal communication make all the difference -people giving off a vibe that they're not into it, or looking at it critically can spoil things. i dont mind someone standing on the side and nodding, but standing in the middle of the floor and not taking part blocks the vibes, man!

A good atmosphere on the floor has a life of its own...it needs a bit of nurturing and protecting....

Theres a difference though to standing and being in to it and standing and not

It kills the vibe and you get in the way.
All that stuff you described, I find tiresome, which is why I prefer proper small clubs - one room, one DJ, tiny bar, minimal lights and decor, just loud music, darkness and dancing

Sounds like we just disagree, tbf. I don't see one view/preference being better or more important than the other.

Besides, if someone simply not dancing kills your vibe it doesn't sound like there's much of a vibe to start with! :D

There is everyone is dancing!

images.jpg

"Not really surprised you don't dance - not sure you really get this "dance music" thing in the first place.
You certainly don't understand underground UK rave music like dnb, with all your utter breeze about "Chase and Status" and "the SU bar". All the sniffy mentions of "joggies" and "bail hearings" which make you sound like a total middle class wanker, to be honest. If these are your prejudices and that's the limit of your understanding of the music, I'm pretty glad you don't write about it. Stick to your joyless "appreciation" of tedious 4/4 dance music and unconvincing love of dusty old disco tracks. You're no Clive Martin. You're a try-hard. At best."

hard to argue with that

Back
Top Bottom