Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Orbital Glasto set

Tooter

Oh my word....my ears are still recoiling in terror. I've been a huge Orbital fan my whole life and seen them live multiple times.

Wtf happened at the end of their Glasto set....the spice girls? Really?

I'm trying not to be a mortally offended purist but whyyyyyyyyy?!?!?!?

😭

Oh my word....my ears are still recoiling in terror. I've been a huge Orbital fan my whole life and seen them live multiple times.

😭

Such a huge fan you missed the part where they have played this live for the last 3-4 years., and also they have always dropped some cheesy shit in a track here and there for 30 years.

I didn't realise the Spice Girls were so triggering for people of a certain age.

Orbital spent quarter of a century dropping Belinda Carlisle and Bon Jovi into Halcyon, met with such delight it became an expectation. But when they do it with Wannabe it's met with oldies getting the vapours. Last night (slumped on the sofa rather than the acid addled state i used to watch Orbital in) I had the same WTF?LOL reaction as the first time they did it with HIAPOE and YGLABN (coz I iz old and I've seen Orbital more times than I can remember and was there the first tours they did it with both of those), with an added actual laugh when Mel C turned up and started jumping around.

Orbital are enough of a nostalgia act, playing a set of 30 year old tunes. Have the OAP ravers got so set in their ways that when something slightly different different happens its met with incomprehension and grumbling?
It started with Belinda's Heaven Is A Place on Earth right? The thing about that is thats not some wacky random song to use, Heaven Is A Place on Earth is the kind of philosophical realisation you get to when high enough. GOd is dead, there is no afterlife, heaven is a place on earth....this is it. So throwing that in towards the peak of a set has a sense to it.

Bon Jovi and Spice Girls though? It doesnt make any sense!! Id be annoyed.

It started with Belinda's Heaven Is A Place on Earth right? The thing about that is thats not some wacky random song to use, Heaven Is A Place on Earth is the kind of philosophical realisation you get to when high enough. GOd is dead, there is no afterlife, heaven is a place on earth....this is it. So throwing that in towards the peak of a set has a sense to it.

Bon Jovi .....

Livin on a Prayer shares a bit of its bassline with Heaven in a place on Earth, I've often wondered if that's where the hartnolls got the idea to mix them together.

Only being doing this one over 20 years.

Think I heard it first about 2000’s cos I lived in that London

Livin on a Prayer shares a bit of its bassline with Heaven in a place on Earth, I've often wondered if that's where the hartnolls got the idea to mix them together.
Lyrics for Living on a prayer makes sense in that context tbf...I thought Spandex said they play You Give Love a Bad Name :D That would be naff.
i really need to get out of bed !

Lyrics for Living on a prayer makes sense in that context tbf...I thought Spandex said they play You Give Love a Bad Name :D That would be naff.
i really need to get out of bed !

Oh no, I think it is You Give Love... actually :facepalm: I have a minidisc recording I took of them in ... 2002? doing that mix but I'd remembered it as Livin on a Prayer.

Anyway, the one with the melodic rise-fall dum de dum de de dum de de dum dum bass run. That's the bit I mean and it's in HiaPoE too.

Long time since I've heard it!

Bon Jovi and Spice Girls though? It doesnt make any sense!! Id be annoyed.
It was a stonking Orbitalesque piano house tune that samples and messes about with the chorus ("if you want be my lover, you better get with my friends, make it last forever, friendship never ends"), with added Mel C jumping around in an oversized tracksuit and Orbital glasses singing her line, having a clearly excellent time. It was fun, not annoying.

It was a stonking Orbitalesque piano house tune that samples and messes about with the chorus ("if you want be my lover, you better get with my friends, make it last forever, friendship never ends"), with added Mel C jumping around in an oversized tracksuit and Orbital glasses singing her line, having a clearly excellent time. It was fun, not annoying.
I do not believe in the basic premise that to love someone means having to get on with all their friends. Especially when one of them is Geri Halliwell.
I do believe that heaven is a place on earth and that we can make heaven a place on earth.

I believe you may be overthinking this...
In fact its that kind of FRIEND FASCISM that holds people back in their relationship choices. The tyranny of the peer group. It's through intimate relationships that we grow and become better people, especially so when those partners challenge us by being different people, with different experiences than our usually very similar friend circles. Its a song of conformism. It belongs nowhere near an Orbital set. In all honesty it really bugs me so I'll say goodbye

In fact its that kind of FRIEND FASCISM that holds people back in their relationship choices. The tyranny of the peer group. It's through intimate relationships that we grow and become better people, especially so when those partners challenge us by being different people, with different experiences than our usually very similar friend circles. Its a song of conformism. It belongs nowhere near an Orbital set. In all honesty it really bugs me so I'll say goodbye
Liking the post, not the saying goodbye, just to be clear

😭
Heard some of that on the Wireless. Whilst driving.

Hmmmmm was my main reaction.

Even lil'Angel who isn't really aware of Orbital said wtf is that?

Ive seen Orbital live across three decades. I'm a real fan.

The Mel C bit for me as an Orbital fan and someone who didn't like the Spicegirls much...

Joyous.
Mel C's Bez dancing was pure Manchester. Awesome. Her enjoyment shone through and radiated out.
Phil wearing a wig! :D

The ten minutes of Tilda Swinton however. I'd like that time back please.

Finally who schedules Orbital to start in sunlight?
Sunlight robs them of their powers.
Gig didn't really warm up properly until the sun started setting.
Cross posting my comment from the other thread

I do not believe in the basic premise that to love someone means having to get on with all their friends. Especially when one of them is Geri Halliwell.
I do believe that heaven is a place on earth and that we can make heaven a place on earth.
You know narcissistic abusers often try to isolate their partners from their friends.
The Spicegirls are actually suggesting a very sensible safe guarding policy.

Also they didn't sing with every single friend without exception. It was generalised 'friends'.

Such a huge fan you missed the part where they have played this live for the last 3-4 years., and also they have always dropped some cheesy shit in a track here and there for 30 years.
Yea well I've seen them play multiple times over the last 20 years and they have never done a horrific spice girls track. each to their own, I just found it a bit gimmicky....

You know narcissistic abusers often try to isolate their partners from their friends.
The Spicegirls are actually suggesting a very sensible safe guarding policy.
It's an interesting theory, and I've given it some consideration, but I think you are reaching. They list their friends (Easy V She's a real lady etc) and are adamant that to get with one means having to get along with the rest.

It's this dynamic that plays a major part of recreating the class system ...oh it didn't work out, they didn't get on with my friends/family etc. depressing values

Back
Top Bottom