Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opening up a fireplace

Yes hopefully the landlord won't have an insurance clause banning open fires. Lord Falmouth blocked up a chimney in a rental house down the road from me, I presume for insurance purposes.

Yes hopefully the landlord won't have an insurance clause banning open fires. Lord Falmouth blocked up a chimney in a rental house down the road from me, I presume for insurance purposes.
Would be worse if You have an open fire in the middle of your front room. :eek: :(

Yep my friend was excited about her housing association property in a Victorian terrace precisely because it had an open fire.When she arrived with her furniture it was like it had never been there.They had even dismantled the stack on the roof .

yep same with the rental house down the road. Fucking vandalism really, house I think's from the 1850s and proper old chimney.

Your fireplace may also leak smoke into next door. Mine did before lining it. If you think you don't get on with your neighbour now...

That's reminded me that my brother had that problem too, had to stop using the wood burner until a new flue was installed

I’ve thought about this too. I moved to a flat in 2019. It’s a converted townhouse divided up into flats. I’ve no idea where the fireplace might have been. There’s no clues. So like a lot of people we rely only on central heating. ☹️

neighbours also had a chimney fire with fire brigade out, they said the joists were almost glowing :eek:

so another vote for chimney sweep to come round and examine chimney - preferably with a camera tbh

they might not have bothered sweeping it if they were going to block it up

I am in the Topcat camp and about to rip out the ancient gasfire. We are broke but we have free wood! 2 year old poplar so good enough. Poplar has recently been upgraded too. Obviously, the fireplace is going to be used. I have cleaned my own chimneys (you have to seal up the entire fireplace). I still have my brushes somewhere.

I am in the Topcat camp and about to rip out the ancient gasfire. We are broke but we have free wood! 2 year old poplar so good enough. Poplar has recently been upgraded too. Obviously, the fireplace is going to be used. I have cleaned my own chimneys (you have to seal up the entire fireplace). I still have my brushes somewhere.

So not just a Henry hoover up the flue and hope for best? :hmm:

we have an open fireplace (ex-council, built in 1955) but I wouldn't dream of using it, not allowed in our borough - but also, very polluting.

True, although they only seem to be comparing with traffic exhaust fumes, particulates from brakes and tyres are larger than them. And wood is at least carbon neutral if it's coming from managed woodland.

Open fires also release particulates into the house while burners only do when the door's open.

Quite a few people aren't going to have much of a choice with the price of energy, particularly in rural areas like mine where there's no gas.

I don't see that woodburning stoves are really going to be a money saving strategy for anyone who doesn't have access to their own supply of firewood, especially in urban areas. Surely if there's even a modest increase in the number of people doing it, the prices of wood are going to go up massively.

I've heard wood prices will be going up - particularly with the requirement only to sell dry wood.

I'd have paid good money to see a peer of the realm doing some real work
I have done albeit a fairly minor peer. I helped him fix a recalcitrant lawnmower.

He was wearing a pair of old flannels and a jersey that was as much hole as jersey, with a fag perpetually hanging out of his mouth.

The next day, at the event we were helping out at, he was in morning dress, the fag was still the same. :)

I don't see that woodburning stoves are really going to be a money saving strategy for anyone who doesn't have access to their own supply of firewood, especially in urban areas. Surely if there's even a modest increase in the number of people doing it, the prices of wood are going to go up massively.
Run through your reasoning. Or at least walk through it. Because there are assumptions there that may not when you actually look at them be well founded

Back
Top Bottom