Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opening up a fireplace

I'm not sure this is actually going to save you any money, you know. Also potentially killing your neighbours isn't really justifiable even if they so evil that they have a wood burner and strong shoulders.

I'm not sure this is actually going to save you any money, you know. Also potentially killing your neighbours isn't really justifiable even if they so evil that they have a wood burner and strong shoulders.
I am sure your uncertainty has no bearing on the matter at hand

We're going to be using the open fire more this year too. Just bought 400 quids worth of logs and coal that I hope should see us through the Winter. The alternative was 2 tanks of oil at 700 quid a pop. Idea is to just use oil for hot water, keep the central heating to a bare minimum and heat most of the house with the fire. Not great for the environment but the alternative is freeze. Needs must. :(

Chimney fires are quite frightening because extinguishing the fire in the grate makes no difference at all.You really need the fire brigade to get up on the roof with a hose.Its bloody embarrassing and not recommended at all.Sweeping is a must.
I will obtain a big carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. These are really effective at putting out chimney fires (and hearth fires, kitchen fires) you apparently squirt it up and poof it’s out. Save water too in these difficult times.

It’s not getting swept. It’s fine. :)

I will obtain a big carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. These are really effective at putting out chimney fires (and hearth fires, kitchen fires) you apparently squirt it up and poof it’s out. Save water too in these difficult times.

It’s not getting swept. It’s fine. :)
When using a co2 fire extinguisher NEVER hold the bit the gas comes out of.

Long term BNP member. Former NF member. Purchased EDL badges.

But, saved my neck from a recent fire. I might stick the Henry hoover up again with some brush thing. Compromise

Last edited:
Was idly wondering whether wood could be transported in one of those cycle trailers for twins that they do in Halfords.Its 150 quid new but eBay probably have them for less than that.
I’m thinking it may well pay to buy a welding machine and make the surround trim and a cycle trailer. Make two of the latter and sell one.

Well, I am sorted for my lunar landing the cold winter nights, this has just be delivered. :D

View attachment 340474

I will NOT answer the front door if anyone comes knocking when I am wearing it!
chico enrico told me once of an Edinburgh junkie flat. They had no money and barely heated one room. They obtained discarded duvets and cut a head hole, like a poncho out of a gutter Tomorrows People.

They then clumped around the flat, never discarding their innovative onesie.

The sound of them coming up the hall to answer the door was said to be something.

Not looking forward to climbing trees with a chainsaw at my age but needs must.

I’d avoid attempting to burn green wood. Head around the back of the big shops and collect pallets. Breaking them up will keep you warm to start with. Pine spits so, a fire guard would be a good idea.

Do get a carbon monoxide detector. Be aware not all chimneys draw equally.

I’d avoid attempting to burn green wood. Head around the back of the big shops and collect pallets. Breaking them up will keep you warm to start with. Pine spits so, a fire guard would be a good idea.

Do get a carbon monoxide detector. Be aware not all chimneys draw equally.
No green wood! Seize now and season.

We're going to be using the open fire more this year too. Just bought 400 quids worth of logs and coal that I hope should see us through the Winter. The alternative was 2 tanks of oil at 700 quid a pop. Idea is to just use oil for hot water, keep the central heating to a bare minimum and heat most of the house with the fire. Not great for the environment but the alternative is freeze. Needs must. :(

Back
Top Bottom