Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oh dear... Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson sacked over Huawei leak.

Maybe for you it's a little like the aftermath of a blood clot on the retina.
The spot you don't see is exactly where the damage is.

Either that or you are one of those people who carries every perceived wrong for all your days. The past is gone, and is unchangeable.

Kids don't get belted/caned now, rejoice and move on.

Effective at controlling your bad behaviour, then.

Thinking back, this happened a lot. Probably some of what we'd now call ADHD, sometimes ODD.
More often, there were kids who seemed to positively welcome it because they were so starved of any kind of attention at home.

Effective at controlling your bad behaviour, then.

Pretty much, until the next time I got bored. Once I had 'got' something, I wanted to move on, not wait whilst the slowest caught up.

I couldn't complain that punishment was undeserved, and would have taken the belt over 500 lines anytime.

We had a metalwork teacher that didn't belt, he used lines. The first talker in his class of the term got 100, the next got 200 and so on. I got 500.

The 'line' verbatim:

The work of a class cannot continue under conditions of constant noise, and I must realise this.

50 years later, still remembered. :) I actually liked that teacher, he really knew his stuff, and got the best out of you. Someone didn't like him though, he cycled home along the riverbank path, someone strung a wire across a dip in the path and nearly killed him. He was so badly injured he had to retire. :(

Not in the slightest. It is not something I think about, unless something in conversation brings it up.

Why on earth would it affect me? It was something that happened 50 years ago, and was generally well deserved.

I can remember classmates getting hit for dropping a pencil or running in the corridors...was that well deserved? I also remember a child not getting hit across the hands with a ruler because the teacher told the rest of us that they smelt; do you think that was abusive and may have stuck with kid concerned?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Pretty much, until the next time I got bored. Once I had 'got' something, I wanted to move on, not wait whilst the slowest caught up.

I couldn't complain that punishment was undeserved, and would have taken the belt over 500 lines anytime.

We had a metalwork teacher that didn't belt, he used lines. The first talker in his class of the term got 100, the next got 200 and so on. I got 500.

The 'line' verbatim:

The work of a class cannot continue under conditions of constant noise, and I must realise this.

50 years later, still remembered. :) I actually liked that teacher, he really knew his stuff, and got the best out of you. Someone didn't like him though, he cycled home along the riverbank path, someone strung a wire across a dip in the path and nearly killed him. He was so badly injured he had to retire. :(

I am guessing that you were not the only guttersnipe getting the belt in your class? Surely a better situation for the kids who did want to learn would have been a course of action taken by the school that stopped, or greatly reduced your messing about whilst in school?

Last edited:
I am guessing that you were not the only guttersnipe getting the belt in your class? Surely a better situation for the kids who did want to learn would have been a course of action taken by the school that stopped, or greatly reduced your messing about whilst in school?
There was. It was manufactured in Lochgelly.

Meh, why not. He needs to sit in a quiet, pastel shaded room and think about his words and how they hurt others. :D

Lochgelly as in the place with the plant that produces microwave antennae? :confused:

This thread just gets weirder. :hmm:

yX0A0az.jpg

Belittling victims of abuse and calling them soft if its affected them. Something like that I'd guess.
Seems to be acceptable behaviour here according to some posters. Anyway, I'm out. If anyone else wants to moan and complain about a mod trying his best, kindly take it to the feedback forum as this thread is already miles off topic.

Lochgelly as in the place with the plant that produces microwave antennae? :confused:

This thread just gets weirder. :hmm:
yX0A0az.jpg

Lochgelly was famous for making belts. An industry that died (I would assume) when the ban came in.

Right, I'm off for a kip, as I'l be sitting up for the bloodbath later. The Conservatives are toast, but I'll be interested to see how Labour fares.

Back
Top Bottom