Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Non-crime could show on a DBS check

1%er

The results of a judicial review into police training guidance should be published soon (it was meant to have been published in January, but I can't find it anywhere, so I guess it hasn't been published yet). It could make interesting reading and have a massive effect on what you can and can't post on social media without having the police keep a file on you. A file that is currently disclosed in a DBS check even if you have committed no crime (according to the online harms white paper, public discussion forums, such as Urban75 are classed as "Social Media" like Twitter, Facebook, along with other social media platforms, file hosting sites, messaging services, and search engines.

Why is this important to YOU! Well if someone doesn't like something you have posted they can report it to the police as a "hate crime" and according to the Hate Crime Operational Guidance issued by the College Of Policing, it must be recorded irrespective of whether there is any evidence to identify the hate element. Since this catch-all guidance was released, police forces have recorded at least 87,000 non-crime hate incidents, none of which break the law.

What you have posted doesn't need to be aimed at an individual for someone to make the complaint, anyone who reads its can complain to their local "hate crime unit" and say they think it is hateful, even if they are unable to identify the hate element to the police. If the police decide to investigate their compliant and visit you or send a different police force to visit you if you live in a different area you could find yourself the subject of a Non-crime report for a hate incident.

What will happen if the police decide to take no legal action against you, they will record the visit as a Non-crime hate incident and it could well show up on a standard DBS check as "Crime Non-Crime" followed by the words Hate incident, if you are going for a job that needs an enhanced DBS check, such as teacher, nurse, doctor or any jobs where you could be in contact with children or venerable people etc. this record will 100% show up.

Under the current system, the "victim" of this Non-Crime has the legal right to remain anonymous and doesn't have to show the police any evidence that there was or is a hate element, just that they believe there is a hate element. The judicial review is aimed at changing the Hate Crime Operational Guidance issued by the College Of Policing to ensure there is a hate element and therefore a crime.

Full disclosure; The guy who is bring this case is called Harry Miller, he is an ex-copper and from what I have read about him seems a bit of a wanker, but ex-coppers who are wankers can sometimes do a good thing and bringing this judicial review is a good thing in my view. If the current Operational Guidance isn't found to be wrong then 1000's of people who just retweet something they thought was funny without thinking it through, or someone posting on this very forum could find themselves banned from loads of jobs because they have the words "hate incident" on a DBS check. A quick search on this forum brings up thousands of posts where one person has claimed another poster has been racist, misogynist, islamophobic etc etc

On these boards I once threated to trap grey squirrels and release them on the Isle of Wight, enabling them to create a viable breeding colony. This riled the red squirrelists on the board. If they denounced me to the authorities could it threaten my future livelihood?

What will happen if the police decide to take no legal action against you, they will record the visit as a Non-crime hate incident and it could well show up on a standard DBS check as "Crime Non-Crime" followed by the words Hate incident, if you are going for a job that needs an enhanced DBS check, such as teacher, nurse, doctor or any jobs where you could be in contact with children or venerable people etc. this record will 100% show up.

I was of the understanding that such information was put on the DBS check at the discretion of the chief constable and if relevant to the job. It's a few years since I've been involved in this so that may not be the case any more or I might be mis-remembering.

Are you saying that police constables would always think it's relevant?

I just got my DBS renewed and it's squeaky clean despite numerous online rants about feeding policemen to crocodiles or whatever.

But for the benefit of any chiefs constable reading this, maybe do something about the fact your organisation is riddled with racists, nonces, thugs and useless halfwits and then maybe people will hate you a bit less.

I just got my DBS renewed and it's squeaky clean despite numerous online rants about feeding policemen to crocodiles or whatever.

But for the benefit of any chiefs constable reading this, maybe do something about the fact your organisation is riddled with racists, nonces, thugs and useless halfwits and then maybe people will hate you a bit less.
Me too! @boogieboy was clearly pretty useless.

I did that thing a while ago where you can request for free everything the police hold about you on all databases, which in theory should be every arrest, every interaction etc not just cautions/convictions. Was amazed at the stuff that wasn't on there, including one caution and several arrests with NFA. So the positive is that the police are an incompetent mess and there is a good chance that anything not too serious would get lost in the ether anyway, the bellends

I did that thing a while ago where you can request for free everything the police hold about you on all databases, which in theory should be every arrest, every interaction etc not just cautions/convictions. Was amazed at the stuff that wasn't on there, including one caution and several arrests with NFA. So the positive is that the police are an incompetent mess and there is a good chance that anything not too serious would get lost in the ether anyway, the bellends

I bet your request went on your record marked down to follow up as highly suspicious :)

The results of a judicial review into police training guidance should be published soon (it was meant to have been published in January, but I can't find it anywhere, so I guess it hasn't been published yet). It could make interesting reading and have a massive effect on what you can and can't post on social media without having the police keep a file on you. A file that is currently disclosed in a DBS check even if you have committed no crime (according to the online harms white paper, public discussion forums, such as Urban75 are classed as "Social Media" like Twitter, Facebook, along with other social media platforms, file hosting sites, messaging services, and search engines.

Why is this important to YOU! Well if someone doesn't like something you have posted they can report it to the police as a "hate crime" and according to the Hate Crime Operational Guidance issued by the College Of Policing, it must be recorded irrespective of whether there is any evidence to identify the hate element. Since this catch-all guidance was released, police forces have recorded at least 87,000 non-crime hate incidents, none of which break the law.

What you have posted doesn't need to be aimed at an individual for someone to make the complaint, anyone who reads its can complain to their local "hate crime unit" and say they think it is hateful, even if they are unable to identify the hate element to the police. If the police decide to investigate their compliant and visit you or send a different police force to visit you if you live in a different area you could find yourself the subject of a Non-crime report for a hate incident.

Under the current system, the "victim" of this Non-Crime has the legal right to remain anonymous and doesn't have to show the police any evidence that there was or is a hate element, just that they believe there is a hate element. The judicial review is aimed at changing the Hate Crime Operational Guidance issued by the College Of Policing to ensure there is a hate element and therefore a crime.

Full disclosure; The guy who is bring this case is called Harry Miller, he is an ex-copper and from what I have read about him seems a bit of a wanker, but ex-coppers who are wankers can sometimes do a good thing and bringing this judicial review is a good thing in my view. If the current Operational Guidance isn't found to be wrong then 1000's of people who just retweet something they thought was funny without thinking it through, or someone posting on this very forum could find themselves banned from loads of jobs because they have the words "hate incident" on a DBS check. A quick search on this forum brings up thousands of posts where one person has claimed another poster has been racist, misogynist, islamophobic etc etc

Sounds like the early stages of a Chinese style social credit score.

Just following on from this, dug out the email they sent me and remembered how offensive their recorded description of me is, heavy, cunts. Up and down maybe.

Screenshot_20200210-213849~3.png

As far as I know any information held by the police can show up on an enhanced DBS check if the police consider it relevant to the role being applied for, so just someone making an allegation could in theory show up, regardless of whether it was listed as a hate incident or not. There's some info here, which says this info is only used in less than 1% of cases: Disclosure of police intelligence on enhanced checks (approved information) - theInfoHub by Unlock | for people with convictions and criminal records

Dickhead, and he is a dickhead being a Tommy Robinson fan who recently compared the Pride flag to the swastika, must know this, given he's ex-filth. I haven;t followed this case closely but the gist seems to be he objected to being given the kind of 'friendly warning' from a copper that he no doubt dished out to many others in his career.

if someone doesn't like something you have posted they can report it to the police as a "hate crime" and according to the Hate Crime Operational Guidance issued by the College Of Policing, it must be recorded irrespective of whether there is any evidence to identify the hate element. […] they will record the visit as a Non-crime hate incident and it could well show up on a standard DBS check as "Crime Non-Crime" followed by the words Hate incident, if you are going for a job that needs an enhanced DBS check, such as teacher, nurse, doctor or any jobs where you could be in contact with children or venerable people etc. this record will 100% show up.
This is a bit misleading, I think. Certain categories of crime, such as hate crime and domestic violence, are supposed to be monitored by the police and CPS. They do this by maintaining an ongoing log. So, if someone is accused of a crime in one of those categories, it will, more often than not, be recorded. But that isn't the same thing as having a criminal record or having something that will show up on your DBS check.

The police do have discretion to have non-crimes recorded to that they will show up on a DBS, which raises all kinds of issues and has given rise to a number of legal challenges. It's always problematic to give police discretionary powers. On the other hand, some sex offences cannot be prosecuted, even if there is compelling evidence, if a relevant limitation period has expired. Do we think it would be OK to allow someone to work as a youth leader if they have escaped prosecution in that way?

On the other hand, some sex offences cannot be prosecuted, even if there is compelling evidence, if a relevant limitation period has expired. Do we think it would be OK to allow someone to work as a youth leader if they have escaped prosecution in that way?
The power to fuck with someone's life should never have been afforded to corrupt cops.

Last edited:
So if we all report Boris for race crimes can we get rid of him? His watermelon and letterbox comments would suffice for an allegation, wouldn't they?

This is a bit misleading, I think. Certain categories of crime, such as hate crime and domestic violence, are supposed to be monitored by the police and CPS. They do this by maintaining an ongoing log. So, if someone is accused of a crime in one of those categories, it will, more often than not, be recorded. But that isn't the same thing as having a criminal record or having something that will show up on your DBS check.

The police do have discretion to have non-crimes recorded to that they will show up on a DBS, which raises all kinds of issues and has given rise to a number of legal challenges. It's always problematic to give police discretionary powers. On the other hand, some sex offences cannot be prosecuted, even if there is compelling evidence, if a relevant limitation period has expired. Do we think it would be OK to allow someone to work as a youth leader if they have escaped prosecution in that way?

There was a copper not long ago who got sent down for multiple sexual assaults. At the time he joined the force he was already under investigation for nonce behaviour by two other forces. Not just accused, under investigation. So I guess the filth aren't that great at keeping track of these things, either that or they actively recruit nonces which would explain a lot.

Hasn’t the possibility of non-crime being recorded been around as long as DBS checks existed?

I’m pretty certain I read long ago about an “any other relevant info/concerns” option that could be filled at police discretion on at least the advanced disclosure?

Hasn’t the possibility of non-crime being recorded been around as long as DBS checks existed?

I’m pretty certain I read long ago about an “any other relevant info/concerns” option that could be filled at police discretion on at least the advanced disclosure?

That section is still there on the Advanced DBS. When I applied to be a teacher they asked if anyone in my family has any convictions for sexual offences...which I thought was a bit odd, even if there was does that have anything to do with me?

That section is still there on the Advanced DBS. When I applied to be a teacher they asked if anyone in my family has any convictions for sexual offences...which I thought was a bit odd, even if there was does that have anything to do with me?
that is scarey - what happens if you were the victim in that family members conviction?

Back
Top Bottom