Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill

Wales protests.

There's been ongoing protests outside the docks police station for a while now over the killing of Mohamud Hassan. So there's a reasonable groundswell of hatred for the police here at the moment. The police have been kicking in doors and generally harrassing organisers and legal observers.

Capture.PNG

There's been ongoing protests outside the docks police station for a while now over the killing of Mohamud Hassan. So there's a reasonable groundswell of hatred for the police here at the moment. The police have been kicking in doors and generally harrassing organisers and legal observers.

View attachment 259001
Cross-posted from the Wales forum:

The case of Mohamud Hassan has taken an explosive leap forward today as the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) announced an additional four South Wales police officers including a custody officer, have today been served regulations 17 notices.
Three of these notices are concerning his time in custody at Cardiff Bay Police station, and the other relates to officers who attended his home address at the time of his arrest.
One of these notices includes an allegation of gross misconduct relating to honesty and integrity, including whether or not there were false or omitted entries made in custody logs concerning welfare checks on Mohamud....

Last edited:
Strange shorthand around world politics at the min innit - get a duplicitous populist moron at the helm and everyone in the party shuts up.

161293052_10159402010081204_3119045257302614577_n.jpg

Playing my usual role of knowing very little, with that massive Tory majority is 'kill the bill' in any way feasible?

Also a little surprised that trade unions don't seem to be more vocal about this, given it's in part an attack on one of the fundamental tools of the movement.

Just attended this meeting about the effects of the bill and how we can fight it organised by Sisters Uncut, with speakers from many affected communities.

Yeah, was at the same meeting... well I say "at" but it seems they had over 2500 requests to participate so I couldn't get in. Still, I watched it on livestream. It seemed well organised with some good, powerful speakers. I do hope we can build something from this.
Aye, was at the same meeting; as you say, a really strong range of good speakers.
Looks like it may have been delayed, according to Peter Kyle

Blimey.

Delay gives everyone more time, of course; let's hope we manage to make more of it than they do :hmm:

Gotta cheer for the win but this also worries me a bit. It's one battle, the rest is yet to come.

One of the main concerns I've had about building any prospective campaign was that there was so little time to get anything up and running. Labour Party acquiescence with the bill, coupled with it being generally ignored by the media, meant it wasn't in that many people's minds.

The cops wading into the Clapham Common women at a peaceful vigil was what really brought the bill to public attention. It was a massive own goal for the police and government, brought about by the government's (in this case Patel's) over-confidence that they can literally get away with anything right now.

Tactically, what the government will now want is for the Clapham Common debacle to fade from public memory, and when it does, they'll bring back the bill, possibly add a few clauses of tougher sentences for rapists (to get Labour MPs on board), but they'll still keep in all the draconian no right to protest shit.

It's our job to not let it fade from public memory, because next time, they're unlikely to make any Clapham Common style mistakes. They'll keep it as low-key as they can, and hope that their neo-liberal variant of fascism slides in with barely a whisper.

Though to be fair on Sisters Uncut, they do say "this is just the beginning. We are ready to fight the police powers bill at every stage of parliament" so fair enough. But let's not sit back and count our chickens.

Gotta cheer for the win but this also worries me a bit. It's one battle, the rest is yet to come.

One of the main concerns I've had about building any prospective campaign was that there was so little time to get anything up and running. Labour Party acquiescence with the bill, coupled with it being generally ignored by the media, meant it wasn't in that many people's minds.

The cops wading into the Clapham Common women at a peaceful vigil was what really brought the bill to public attention. It was a massive own goal for the police and government, brought about by the government's (in this case Patel's) over-confidence that they can literally get away with anything right now.

Tactically, what the government will now want is for the Clapham Common debacle to fade from public memory, and when it does, they'll bring back the bill, possibly add a few clauses of tougher sentences for rapists (to get Labour MPs on board), but they'll still keep in all the draconian no right to protest shit.

It's our job to not let it fade from public memory, because next time, they're unlikely to make any Clapham Common style mistakes. They'll keep it as low-key as they can, and hope that their neo-liberal variant of fascism slides in with barely a whisper.

Though to be fair on Sisters Uncut, they do say "this is just the beginning. We are ready to fight the police powers bill at every stage of parliament" so fair enough. But let's not sit back and count our chickens.
chickens will be banned from demos under the proposed legislation

There is absolutely no justification for this Bill and the government needs to be held to account. Their schtick seems to be: choose the shittest course of action from a bad situation. No long term vision, just 'manage' the fallout from their reckless mishandling. They always manage to look after themselves and their interests though, and fuck the rest us it seems.

They are totally shameless and lacking in accountability. It took a grassroots lobbying campaign to get Labour to oppose at the eleventh hour. I didn't expect much from Starmer's Labour but I'm disappointed with him still. No confidence in him. I agree with Serge Forward above, it was only the confluence with police abuses at peaceful vigils that brought urgency and wider attention to this terrible Bill.

It has been noted and noticed that the Bill, which was supposed to be pushed through the Commons at pace, and with haste, has apparently stalled. There is currently no Committee Stage, so the men (mostly men) in the corridors of power and along the usual channels have perhaps been made aware of a very large pause button being deployed somewhere near the offices of one Rt. Hon Mrs P. Patel.

Timetable;:

It has been noted and noticed that the Bill, which was supposed to be pushed through the Commons at pace, and with haste, has apparently stalled. There is currently no Committee Stage, so the men (mostly men) in the corridors of power and along the usual channels have perhaps been made aware of a very large pause button being deployed somewhere near the offices of one Rt. Hon Mrs P. Patel.

Timetable;:

Perhaps they should simply press the eject button

Timetable;:

As I've said before they are hoping to slip it under the radar when people are distracted by other things and the initial furore has died down but it also occurs to me that the fact that they've delayed it's progress could be because they actually feel very insecure - yes I know they have an 80 seat majority but to me it appears that this is a government of mediocrities. None of them are actually really up to the job at hand and they know it. All they really have is flag-shagging jingoism, that and the lining of theirs and their mate's pockets and it's all wearing a bit thin.

As I've said before they are hoping to slip it under the radar when people are distracted by other things and the initial furore has died down but it also occurs to me that the fact that they've delayed it's progress could be because they actually feel very insecure - yes I know they have an 80 seat majority but to me it appears that this is a government of mediocrities. None of them are actually really up to the job at hand and they know it. All they really have is flag-shagging jingoism, that and the lining of theirs and their mate's pockets and it's all wearing a bit thin.
I suppose they'd say you don't know how stressful it can be shagging a flag and making sure all the cum avoids the blue and red bits

Back
Top Bottom