Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

The Hour

Intrigue and adultery against the backdrop of the Suez crisis. In what is obviously meant to be the early days of Panorama, Romola Garai, Ben Wishaw, Dominic West and Anton Lesser all acquit themselves well.

If you missed this one the first time around, you could do a lot worse than check it now.
Started season 2 yesterday. Seems to still work, though there's a significant character from season 1 missing.

In his book on the Sixties, Arthur Warwick talks about "the long 1960s" starting circa 1958 and going up to the early seventies. You can see that here, which is set in late 1957.

one of the most beautifully shot series/films i’ve seen for a long time.

it does get a little repetitive but i liked….a lot.

Cinematography is gorgeous it’s just dull.

None of the characters really seem to grab me and make me want to pay attention to them

None of the characters really seem to grab me and make me want to pay attention to them
It's definitely slow paced, but I enjoyed that. There are exactly zero sympathetic characters, though. I'll give you that.
The final episode in Venice I could just watch with both the sound and subtitles off and enjoy the visual delight of it.

The End We Start From is ok. 6/10. It has something missing though as so many straight to Netflix films do.
Jodie Comer is very good in this - but it really depends on the budget I think :D If this was low budget, then they did really well with what they had. But yeah, it doesn't quite hit the mark - whatever the (water) mark is, I still don't regret watching it...

Jodie Comer is very good in this - but it really depends on the budget I think :D If this was low budget, then they did really well with what they had. But yeah, it doesn't quite hit the mark - whatever the (water) mark is...
I think it’s because there was no real jeopardy. At no point did I ever really think the end would be different to what it was. Compare that to the film Children of Men which was somewhat thematically similar but superior in many ways.

Jodie Comer is very good in this - but it really depends on the budget I think :D If this was low budget, then they did really well with what they had. But yeah, it doesn't quite hit the mark - whatever the (water) mark is...
Waterworld during a hosepipe ban
Mad Max but Rockatansky has been doing CBT steadily and is on a sertraline script
A particularly pedestrian The Road

Jodie Comer is very good in this - but it really depends on the budget I think :D If this was low budget, then they did really well with what they had. But yeah, it doesn't quite hit the mark - whatever the (water) mark is, I still don't regret watching it...

I thought it was decent, maybe 7/10. Very low-key.

I just found it (that Jodie Comer thing) a bit boring, I think I might have nodded off at one point.
It just wasn't great, maybe the pacing was a bit off for me, I tend to prefer a bit more action and suspense, and I felt it lacked that.

I think it’s because there was no real jeopardy. At no point did I ever really think the end would be different to what it was. Compare that to the film Children of Men which was somewhat thematically similar but superior in many ways.
Yes, very unexciting for an apocalyptic disaster movie!

Yeah, I agree with The End We Start From being unexciting... Probably because it tried to actually be realistic? I've been thinking about this... If London was flooded, many people's experience woud probably be more like that instead of crazy drama all the time. But yeah, it being realistic made it a bit dull. It is literally how one person would experience it rather than an overall view of everything that would happen.

I still think it was an interesting take on one likely apocalyptic scenario.

Another movie that explores a catastrophe of a watery kind from one family point of view, and which is a lot more intense is "The Impossible". BUT that was about a tsunami and much more intense for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with The End We Start From being unexciting... Probably because it tried to actually be realistic? I've been thinking about this... If London was flooded, many people's experience woud probably be more like that instead of crazy drama all the time. But yeah, it being realistic made it a bit dull. It is literally how one person would experience it rather than an overall view of everything that would happen.

I still think it was an interesting take on one likely apocalyptic scenario.

Another movie that explores a catastrophe of a watery kind from one's family point of view, and which is a lot more intense is "The Impossible". BUT that was about a tsunami and much more intense for obvious reasons.
All I could think of when they got back was, where were the rats!

I thought it very unlikely that a woman with a young toddler was allowed to sign up to do the clean up too?
And the nappy situation was really glossed over :D
Yes I wondered about your first point. Also when she was walking to the coast to get to the island, where did she get food along the way?

the lead two actors were too old for those roles. constantly being referred to as ‘young men’ when they are in they early 40s!

up to 35 you ‘might’ get away with that one

a few episodes into Griselda and enjoying it. has the Narcos feel. But why have they made Sofia Vergara look so stupid with the nose and wrinkles?! Looks like a sixth form play make up job. Bit distracting.

a few episodes into Griselda and enjoying it. has the Narcos feel. But why have they made Sofia Vergara look so stupid with the nose and wrinkles?! Looks like a sixth form play make up job. Bit distracting.
And what’s more weird about that is that even with the make-up/ prosthetics she’s doesn’t remotely look anything like the woman she’s playing.

Fair enough l. Have you watched Beef? Please don’t take our differing tastes as a marker. It is extraordinary good, and not just award-winning but actually breaking award-winning records.
I've watched it. I didn't think it was as good as everyone else.

I cannot find a single thing worth watching on Netflix, I really should cancel.

Reckon it's down to individual taste and experience. Obviously.

Personally, I can never quite understand when people claim there's nothing on telly/ streaming to watch - but that's just a subjective thing. For us, there's usually always something to find on Netflix (and other subscriptions).

Reckon it's down to individual taste and experience. Obviously.

Personally, I can never quite understand when people claim there's nothing on telly/ streaming to watch - but that's just a subjective thing. For us, there's usually always something to find on Netflix (and other subscriptions).
I don't usually continue watching something unless Ithink it's good. If something is just okay, I'll stop.
Also looking for TV shows not films as I don't have the concentration or time for films after a long working day plus kids.

Back
Top Bottom