Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

I cannot find a single thing worth watching on Netflix, I really should cancel.

I've been at this point with Netflix for ages. Partially self-inflicted because I don't watch horror, sci-fi, cartoons, or superhero shit, which bins about 50% of their offering. Occasionally something comes up. I'm currently watching The Hour, based on a recommendation above, which we missed first time round, but it's getting increasingly harder to justify keeping, especially given that their entire catalogue can now be streamed in HD for free.

I don't usually continue watching something unless Ithink it's good. If something is just okay, I'll stop.
Also looking for TV shows not films as I don't have the concentration or time for films after a long working day plus kids.
Re not having time to watch a movie...

I'm the other way round, if I don't have time, or am really tired, I'd rather watch a movie, so I don't end up getting sucked into binge-watching several episodes.

Sometimes, if it's getting late, I search for 90 minute movies, to avoid any epics. There's usually something to watch that's relatively doably short.

And then if I'm feeling really knackered, I'll watch it in bed on my laptop, and I'll change the playback speed to 1.5, so it only takes around an hour to watch.

Reckon it's down to individual taste and experience. Obviously.

Personally, I can never quite understand when people claim there's nothing on telly/ streaming to watch - but that's just a subjective thing. For us, there's usually always something to find on Netflix (and other subscriptions).
Sometimes, though, I find it takes so long to find something I want to watch that it's too late to watch it. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I'm the other way round, if I don't have time, or am really tired, I'd rather watch a movie, so I don't end up getting sucked into binge-watching several episodes.

Sometimes, if it's getting late, I search for 90 minute movies, to avoid any epics. There's usually something to watch that's relatively doably short.

And then if I'm feeling really knackered, I'll watch it in bed on my laptop, and I'll change the playback speed to 1.5, so it only takes around an hour to watch.
But shoes mean everything happens in one episode re exposition, climax, denouement, it's not just about the length.

I've been at this point with Netflix for ages. Partially self-inflicted because I don't watch horror, sci-fi, cartoons, or superhero shit, which bins about 50% of their offering. Occasionally something comes up. I'm currently watching The Hour, based on a recommendation above, which we missed first time round, but it's getting increasingly harder to justify keeping, especially given that their entire catalogue can now be streamed in HD for free.
Yes. Me too, ages. And I don't watch any of those genres either.
I'll take a look at The Hour.

Also looking for TV shows not films as I don't have the concentration or time for films after a long working day plus kids.
Why don't you just watch half the film and watch the rest the next day? I do that and it's not really much different to watching two episodes of a TV show.

Why don't you just watch half the film and watch the rest the next day? I do that and it's not really much different to watching two episodes of a TV show.

Because films are paced differently to series.

If you're looking for something to get invested in over a period of time, that you can dip in and out of, films don't work.

Because films are paced differently to series.

If you're looking for something to get invested in over a period of time, that you can dip in and out of, films don't work.
I agree, it's not ideal, but it's an option rather than exclude films from viewing entirely. There are plenty of ways of watching a film that aren't ideal.

I hadn't considered it until recently and when I tried it I found it opened up loads more viewing options that I would have avoided previously because of time constraint.

I refer you to my post about exposition, climax, denouement etc in one episode.

I do watch films sometimes at the weekend when the demands on me are less.

Or just don't binge stuff. I prefer to watch one episode a day. It lasts longer, and for good shows, you have time to look forward to the next episode

I think part of it is due to the algorithms they use to offer you new stuff based on what you've already watched - my suggestions for things I might like are all crime dramas and documentaries, horrors, and post apocalyptic stuff - N gets offered a completely different set of stuff that I'd have to wade through the entire catalogue to dig out.
It's not great if you're a bit fed up, it keeps offering you the same stuff over and over, when what you want is something different.

I think part of it is due to the algorithms they use to offer you new stuff based on what you've already watched - my suggestions for things I might like are all crime dramas and documentaries, horrors, and post apocalyptic stuff - N gets offered a completely different set of stuff that I'd have to wade through the entire catalogue to dig out.
It's not great if you're a bit fed up, it keeps offering you the same stuff over and over, when what you want is something different.

Yeah, I find this too. Watch one type of film or show and that is all I get offered in future. Youtube is worse for it.

There's tons of stuff on Netflix that I never get suggested, or appears. The search engine is shit too.

Doesn’t anyone else just not pay attention to what’s offered after you watch something? I usuaIly switch off so I never try anything that’s pushed at me by any of the streamers. Have to be quick on the controls, mind, as every time I finish an episode of The Boys, I have to switch off quickly before they play me something with fucking Jeremy Clarkson in!

I've been ignoring the main page for a while now and just going to the categories view and choosing whatever genre I fancy at the time

I used to waste so much time surfing through endless stuff that I’d never watch or should never have watched. So I make sure I nearly always know what I want to watch beforehand, so don’t browse randomly as much anymore.
I have various lists in different places, but I usually just type what I want to watch into JustWatch:
JustWatch - Streaming Search Engine for Movies and TV Series and it lets me know if I can watch it for free on any of the streaming services I subscribe to or watch for free. Saves a lot of time surfing through the shite. It’s also saved me money on renting some movies by mistake when they’ve been available for free on another streamer.
Good for keeping watchlists and other film lists too.

I used to waste so much time surfing through endless stuff that I’d never watch or should never have watched. So I make sure I nearly always know what I want to watch beforehand, so don’t browse randomly as much anymore.
I have various lists in different places, but I usually just type what I want to watch into JustWatch:
JustWatch - Streaming Search Engine for Movies and TV Series and it lets me know if I can watch it for free on any of the streaming services I subscribe to or watch for free. Saves a lot of time surfing through the shite. It’s also saved me money on renting some movies by mistake when they’ve been available for free on another streamer.
OMG ... that app is just what I need! Mrs Rider & I are always keeping mental lists of new shows to watch when the current binge is over and then we cant remember what channel / service it was on! Many thx Mr O

Ah excellent recommendation, have bookmarked that, ta :)

This looks potentially interesting

Really enjoyed that, for me it did have a Marvel meets Top Boy vibe, super powers in the south London hood. Ridiculous but I’d recommend it.

Does Supacell get significantly better after the first episode? It gets good reviews, and I liked Top Boy and Misfits as much as the next person, but the writing seems very clunky and dull.

I'm loving Supacell so far. Yeah, I get the Top Boy vibe, but I've never seen the misfits, is that about superpowers? It's also reminding me a bit of Attack the Block, with some of the London estate settings, youths sticking together to fight adversaries and overcome adversity, some unlikely pairings, and lots of gritty realism plus humour.

Back
Top Bottom