Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Started this last night and binged the first few. Very good; makes me more interested in watching the 100m at the Olympics

We've enjoyed the first episode of The Decameron a lot more than I thought we would. A farcical historical comedy miniseries, with a decent varied cast, nice backgrounds, sets and wardrobes, and a pretty entertaining and fun watch all around so far. Recommended to anyone looking for that kind of stuff :)

We've enjoyed the first episode of The Decameron a lot more than I thought we would. A farcical historical comedy miniseries, with a decent varied cast, nice backgrounds, sets and wardrobes, and a pretty entertaining and fun watch all around so far. Recommended to anyone looking for that kind of stuff :)
Am intrigued, saw Saoirse Monica Jackson on Colbert talking about it (and Derry Girls, obviously)

Tony Hale of Arrested Development fame looks great in it with long hair. Filmed on location in Italy and a seemly random casting of English, Irish, French and American talent among others. We’ve stopped at the end of episode two, but very watchable so far.

I enjoyed Skywalkers, a love story, though I watched some of it through my fingers.

Far from being an everyday tale of farming folk on Tattoine, it's a documentary about rooftopers, who climb illegally on to the top of tall buildings. Of course they're selfish and have no regard for the people who have to clean them up when they fall, but they're also brave.

This programme follows two Russians seemingly at the top of the rooftopping tree

I really liked Simone Biles Uprising and now enjoying Sprint. They should do a Netflix series for every sport. I'd even want to watch Badminton or canoe slalom if they Netflix did a series.

Sports documentaries seem to be the only thing worth watching on Netflix right now.

Love how the Jamaican team train in Sprint, I'll be rooting for Jamaica these Olympics.

Is Wicked Little Letters any good?
Yes, very enjoyable weekend film. Slightly pissed off that it was only a few short weeks ago when it was only available as a chargeable rent. If I’d known it was to come to Netflix so soon after I would have waited.

Based on a true story, which makes it even more interesting.

Been a bit behind on my Netflix watchlist.
There’s a great new show called Ozark which is keeping me hooked. Only up to ep7 so far, but there’s lots of things percolating.
I love all of these terriible humans
I need to finish this because both critical reviews and friends who’ve watched it loved it. Stopped just before the end of S1 for whatever reason but was really enjoying it.

I have never before heard of Psych, a a borderline absurdist crime comedy that actually ran for eight seasons, and span three film spinoffs.

It is goofy and the main lead often feels like a third rate Jim Carrey/ Charlie from Always Sunny in Philly hybrid, but overall it’s okay.

And before you think this is me mildly liking a show that’s awful, the first three seasons at least have surprisingly strong critical reviews, better than I would rate it.

I need to finish this because both critical reviews and friends who’ve watched it loved it. Stopped just before the end of S1 for whatever reason but was really enjoying it.
It's excellent but wasn't helped initially by comparisons to Breaking Bad. Yes, there are some similarities but on a superficial level.

It's excellent but wasn't helped initially by comparisons to Breaking Bad. Yes, there are some similarities but on a superficial level.
That sounds an absurd basis for criticism. It’s not as most widely acclaimed cop, crime or mafia/ gangster shows to name but a few genres could be described as anything other than massively similar and borrowing from pre-existing series.

That sounds an absurd basis for criticism. It’s not as most widely acclaimed cop, crime or mafia/ gangster shows to name but a few genres could be described as anything other than massively similar and borrowing from pre-existing series.
Cop Rock, though

It's quite good , not amazing, first couple of seasons. Last couple I'd give a miss, especially the stupid last one.

I have never before heard of Psych, a a borderline absurdist crime comedy that actually ran for eight seasons, and span three film spinoffs.

It is goofy and the main lead often feels like a third rate Jim Carrey/ Charlie from Always Sunny in Philly hybrid, but overall it’s okay.

And before you think this is me mildly liking a show that’s awful, the first three seasons at least have surprisingly strong critical reviews, better than I would rate it.

I liked it, its easy watching, bluesky twist on Sherlock. Tend to ignore ratings in general as I've seen far too many that were critically acclaimed and then bloody awful or shows that I really liked but had bad reviews.

Mrs Browns Boys for example, seems to rate highly on IMDB despite if you ask in any UK based forum its usually widely hated. Absolutely not my thing but it seems a lot of people do like it regardless.

I liked it, its easy watching, bluesky twist on Sherlock. Tend to ignore ratings in general as I've seen far too many that were critically acclaimed and then bloody awful or shows that I really liked but had bad reviews.

Mrs Browns Boys for example, seems to rate highly on IMDB despite if you ask in any UK based forum its usually widely hated. Absolutely not my thing but it seems a lot of people do like it regardless.
Yeah, I find Mrs Browns Boys one of the biggest steaming piles of shite ever broadcast on British TV myself, and good ratings for that show are more incomprehensible than quantum physics.

I'm really enjoying this. It's absolutely bonkers. I have to have the subtitles on though because I can't make out what anyone's saying otherwise.

I love the costumes as well.

I am forced to admit that against all my better instincts, I quite loved Axel F.

Of all the 80s reboots they’ve tried to make in the last 10 years or so, this is the only one that has genuinely felt like a 1980s movie — light-hearted and silly but also a plot you can hum and sentimentally feel-good. No archness or irony, no over-the-top call-backs, no “we’re making an 80s movie but we’re not really” or the introduction of unnecessary children to reach new demographics, just the nostalgia of feeling like you’ve discovered a missing Beverly Hills Cop film (and not the rubbish 1990s third one). I laughed :), and I rarely laugh at films these days :(

I liked joyride. Some really obvious heartstring pulls, but it's so well executed and acted that I didn't care. Each carefully contained scene was nicely thought out and small touches made for a pleasant and laid back viewing experience. This could have easily been absolute trash but was an absolute joy.
I really do love films about unlikely friendships/human connections. So maddening that it's always 'true love soul mate' bullshit. That all relationships have to be motivated by sexual desires. Blurgh.

Back
Top Bottom