Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Neo Nazis in Germany

BTW from the mid 1990s until at least the late-2000s British undercover police infiltrating left-wing and environmentalist groups in the UK were also sent over to Germany (and elsewhere) and liaising with the BKA (at the very least), which was itself balls-deep in NSU- (and other militant neo-Nazi groups) linked paid informers.

Partially answering my own question, spotted this article from 4 November 2016 in Frankfurter Rundschau, entitled ‘Extremistisch, bewaffnet und gewaltbereit’ (‘Extremist, armed and violent’):

Erste Anzeichen für eine solche Wiederbelebung gibt es bereits: Im Juli traf sich das Gründungsmitglied von Combat 18, der englische Neonazi Wilf Browning, mit früheren Weggefährten aus Deutschland, Belgien und den Niederlanden in Dortmund. Mit dabei waren auch Thorsten Heise, einer der bundesweit einflussreichsten Neonazis, und der Dortmunder Robin Schiemann, früheres B&H-Mitglied, mit dem Beate Zschäpe aus der Haft heraus eine Brieffreundschaft pflegte.

The first signs of such a revitalization [of the far right] are already present: In July, the founding member of Combat 18, English neo-Nazi Wilf Browning, met with former comrades from Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands in Dortmund. Thorsten Heise, one of the most influential neo-Nazis nationwide, and former B & H member Robin Schiemann of Dortmund, whom Beate Zschäpe looked after when he came out of prison.

Rechter Terror: Extremistisch, bewaffnet und gewaltbereit

(Can someone with better language skills than me check over that translation, especially the bit at the end about the assoication of Schiemann and Zschäpe?)

(Can someone with better language skills than me check over that translation, especially the bit at the end about the assoication of Schiemann and Zschäpe?)

Actually, you've got the very last part wrong. Beate Zschäpe is the one imprisoned, of course because she's accused of being a member of the NSU, and according to the text she maintained a penpalship ("Brieffreundschaft") with Robin Schiemann out of jail.

BTW: Some weeks ago there was an interesting documentary on public radio station Deutschlandradio Kultur about former incidents of right-wing terrorism in Germany, which are almost forgotten in public perception. While everyone in Germany has probably heard about militant left-wing groups in the 70s or 80s, like Rote Armee Fraktion (RAF) or Revolutionäre Zellen, knowledge about the right-wing Wehrsportgruppe Hoffmann and/or the Octoberfest bombing is kind of limited, and names like Hepp-Kexel-Gruppe or "Bombenhirn" Naumann even myself has never heard of before.

Script: Rechtsterrorismus in der Bundesrepublik - Verdrängte Vergangenheit?
Google Translate: https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deutschlandradiokultur.de%2Frechtsterrorismus-in-der-bundesrepublik-verdraengte.976.de.html%3Fdram%3Aarticle_id%3D375999

And here is an interesting piece by research group Correctiv.org. They did some proper research in the neo-nazi scene of Dortmund—how people became engaged with the scene, radicalized, got in touch with international networks like B&H, Combat 18, took part in terrorist activity, etc.—and published their results in form of a comic book! Unfortunately this may be of limited use for people not able to read German, because you probably can't run automatic translation tools on them, but I include this anyway as an example of experimental forms of journalism.

WEISSE WÖLFE - correctiv.org
WEISSE WÖLFE

Actually, you've got the very last part wrong. Beate Zschäpe is the one imprisoned, of course because she's accused of being a member of the NSU, and according to the text she maintained a penpalship ("Brieffreundschaft") with Robin Schiemann out of jail.

Ah, thanks - the ‘out of gaol’ bit stumped me, seeing as she is in gaol, so I thought it must mean that this was an earlier association from before she turned herself in, and that it was Schiemann coming out.

BTW: Some weeks ago there was an interesting documentary on public radio station Deutschlandradio Kultur about former incidents of right-wing terrorism in Germany, which are almost forgotten in public perception. While everyone in Germany has probably heard about militant left-wing groups in the 70s or 80s, like Rote Armee Fraktion (RAF) or Revolutionäre Zellen, knowledge about the right-wing Wehrsportgruppe Hoffmann and/or the Octoberfest bombing is kind of limited, and names like Hepp-Kexel-Gruppe or "Bombenhirn" Naumann even myself has never heard of before.

Script: Rechtsterrorismus in der Bundesrepublik - Verdrängte Vergangenheit?
Google Translate: https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deutschlandradiokultur.de%2Frechtsterrorismus-in-der-bundesrepublik-verdraengte.976.de.html%3Fdram%3Aarticle_id%3D375999

That's fascinating stuff - Hoffmann had a small bit part in the Aust/Laabs narrative where he wasn't really explained, so that's useful background info for us non-German neophytes :D

And here is an interesting piece by research group Correctiv.org. They did some proper research in the neo-nazi scene of Dortmund—how people became engaged with the scene, radicalized, got in touch with international networks like B&H, Combat 18, took part in terrorist activity, etc.—and published their results in form of a comic book! Unfortunately this may be of limited use for people not able to read German, because you probably can't run automatic translation tools on them, but I include this anyway as an example of experimental forms of journalism.

WEISSE WÖLFE - correctiv.org
WEISSE WÖLFE

It's the perfect opportunity to improve one's German, thanks for sharing :)

One to keep an eye on:
A trail started this week against a small group from Freital in Saxony that used improvised pipe bombs against asylum seeker hostels and an alternative left-wing housing project.
It's unique in as far as the federal prosecutors have added the charge of terrorism to the previious attempted murder charges.
I heard a report on the radio where a german lawyer saying the charge wont stick as terrorism in germany is only defined as being actions against the state, which sounds a bit wrong to me.
Those charged arent denying the attempted murder charges but challenging the terrorism one.

One to keep an eye on:
A trail started this week against a small group from Freital in Saxony that used improvised pipe bombs against asylum seeker hostels and an alternative left-wing housing project.
It's unique in as far as the federal prosecutors have added the charge of terrorism to the previious attempted murder charges.
I heard a report on the radio where a german lawyer saying the charge wont stick as terrorism in germany is only defined as being actions against the state, which sounds a bit wrong to me.
Those charged arent denying the attempted murder charges but challenging the terrorism one.
The freital/360 is amazing - it moved from 'citizen initiatives' to terrorism so quickly. It started from an alleged assault on a bus to this in what two years?

The freital/360 is amazing - it moved from 'citizen initiatives' to terrorism so quickly. It started from an alleged assault on a bus to this in what two years?
Yeah, just over a year really (march 2015- April 2016). It's only that the federal prosecution took over the case last November that serious charges came about. The Sachsen state prosecutor tried to usher a gbh case through which would probably have resulted in some 2 year suspendeds.
And again, the sachsen police have been caught with their pants down (after the nsu case you'd think they'd have at least learned to cover the tracks of their own incompetence). There was an article in a german paper last year when the case was transfered to karlsruhe (i think it was the SZ - cant find the article online atm - will checj when i get to a pc) that the Hamburg poilice had given the sachsen police a tip off about the head of the group; Timo.S after IDing him at Weisse Wölfe demos. Apparently surveillance recordings show the sachsen police knew of some of the Freital attacks hours before they happened and basically followed a running commentary of them without intervening.
So it'll be more interesting to see what comes out in the trial about the sachsen police, and more interestingly how the federal prosecutors deal with them - by now the judges should be losing their patience with them.
In any civilized society the sachsen police would at best be classed as an incompetent national embarrassment... at worst complicit nazi sympathisers...

Last edited:
Just looking for the piece I mentioned above about the Sachsen Police surveillance - it's related to this piece in Die Zeit. They go even further here and accuse the Sachen pigs of feeding the Freital group with intel for their attacks.

Google Translate:
A suspected leader of the right-wing Freital terror cell was supposed to have received information from the Saxon ... police. The prosecutor is silent....

Timo S.'s incidental remark during his interrogation in December 2015 raises questions: Did one of the two alleged ringleaders of the Freital group have internal evidence from the Saxon police? Have the prosecution and the police investigated the allegation? And if so, what result?

Actually, it would have been comparatively easy for the Saxon investigators to check the allegation of Timo S. Finally, the phones of members of the alleged terrorist cell had already been monitored in autumn 2015. The police interacted, among other things, with Patrick F.'s conversation and read SMS, which he sent and received. Even the apartments of several suspects were searched, including those by Patrick F .. The investigators took not only explosives and latex gloves, but also computer, laptop, various memory cards and USB sticks. There was apparently no evidence...

When police officers get indications of a crime, they need to act. If a Saxon preparedness officer has actually passed on details on forthcoming deployments to the Freital Group, this would be at least a violation of the secrecy, if not aid to terrorism.

Last edited:
One to keep an eye on:

Didn't hear this radio feature, but the definition is not 100% correct, imho. Terrorist groups are defined in criminal law in § 129a StGB. This definition includes either
  • conspiracy with the intention to commit crimes like murder, genocide, crimes against humanity or sth like that, without any further limitations, or
  • conspiracy with the intention to commit crimes from a larger catalogue of felonies, incl. torching or use of explosive devices, but with some limitations concerning the reason for these crimes. This supposed ideological background doesn't cover only "actions against the state" though, but also actions with the intent to intimidate the people, which are suitable to damage the state as a whole.
I don't think, that this should be broadened. In fact, the law is widely criticized by civil liberties activists, because it was extensively used to persecute left-wing groups in the past. Even if they haven't done anything people would neccessarily classify as terrorism, just because investigations under 129a trigger a wide range of additional surveillance measures. Often, those investigation wouldn't end in a formal indictment, but just serve the purpose of gathering intelligence.

So, IANAL, but I don't think, that the Freital group isn't covered by anti-terrorism law at all. The NSU terrorists didn't directly attack the state either, but random immigrants, and nobody doubts them being classified as terrorists. Nonetheless, for many people it is kind of unusual, to bring charges like this, because the perpetrators didn't do much other right-wing criminals don't do as well. Their explosive devices weren't particularly sophisticated, their assaults didn't kill or badly hurt anybody, they didn't live undercover, etc.

The issue, if the Freital group are indeed terrorist, doesn't center around having them convicted for terrorism or "just" for multiple murder attempt and the other seperate charges, though, because it doesn't really matter for the degree of penalty. It is merely a question of authority. In German law, criminal investigations and the court system are almost exclusively under the supervision of the federal states. (A lesson learned from the Nazi era, not to concentrate too much executive power on central institutions.) To bring charges of terrorism is one of just a few cases, where the Federal Prosecutor General (Generalbundesanwalt) is authorized to take the lead in the investigations. In the past, he was very reluctant to do so, with the many attacks on refugee accommodations during the past couple of years.

That he did in this case is therefore widely seen as a sign of distrust to the local Saxon authorities to deal with it properly!

That's not unreasonable. In fact, many people in Germany already see Saxony as some kind of failed state, with police authorities and justice system deeply infected by far-rights. Weird decisions and priorities shown by Saxony prosecutors occur regularly, e.g. dropping of charges against right-wingers (or police officers accused of illegally cooperating with them) while persecuting left-wing people with ridiculous allegations. They even indicted the prime minister(!) of neighbor state Thuringia (from the Left party) for taking part in anti nazi protests in Dresden, Saxony's capital.

These so-called "citizen initiatives" were almost everywhere founded or at least dominated by members of far-right parties like NPD. Of course, there are places where a lot of people, who aren't necessarily fascists, got utilized by the organizers, but the connection between those "citizen initiatives" and militant right-wing extremists was real and obvious from the beginning, for everyone wanting to see it.

Didn't hear this radio feature, but the definition is not 100% correct, imho. Terrorist groups are defined in criminal law in § 129a StGB. This definition includes either
  • conspiracy with the intention to commit crimes like murder, genocide, crimes against humanity or sth like that, without any further limitations, or
  • conspiracy with the intention to commit crimes from a larger catalogue of felonies, incl. torching or use of explosive devices, but with some limitations concerning the reason for these crimes. This supposed ideological background doesn't cover only "actions against the state" though, but also actions with the intent to intimidate the people, which are suitable to damage the state as a whole.
I don't think, that this should be broadened. In fact, the law is widely criticized by civil liberties activists, because it was extensively used to persecute left-wing groups in the past. Even if they haven't done anything people would neccessarily classify as terrorism, just because investigations under 129a trigger a wide range of additional surveillance measures. Often, those investigation wouldn't end in a formal indictment, but just serve the purpose of gathering intelligence.

So, IANAL, but I don't think, that the Freital group isn't covered by anti-terrorism law at all. The NSU terrorists didn't directly attack the state either, but random immigrants, and nobody doubts them being classified as terrorists. Nonetheless, for many people it is kind of unusual, to bring charges like this, because the perpetrators didn't do much other right-wing criminals don't do as well. Their explosive devices weren't particularly sophisticated, their assaults didn't kill or badly hurt anybody, they didn't live undercover, etc.

The issue, if the Freital group are indeed terrorist, doesn't center around having them convicted for terrorism or "just" for multiple murder attempt and the other seperate charges, though, because it doesn't really matter for the degree of penalty. It is merely a question of authority. In German law, criminal investigations and the court system are almost exclusively under the supervision of the federal states. (A lesson learned from the Nazi era, not to concentrate too much executive power on central institutions.) To bring charges of terrorism is one of just a few cases, where the Federal Prosecutor General (Generalbundesanwalt) is authorized to take the lead in the investigations. In the past, he was very reluctant to do so, with the many attacks on refugee accommodations during the past couple of years.

That he did in this case is therefore widely seen as a sign of distrust to the local Saxon authorities to deal with it properly!

That's not unreasonable. In fact, many people in Germany already see Saxony as some kind of failed state, with police authorities and justice system deeply infected by far-rights. Weird decisions and priorities shown by Saxony prosecutors occur regularly, e.g. dropping of charges against right-wingers (or police officers accused of illegally cooperating with them) while persecuting left-wing people with ridiculous allegations. They even indicted the prime minister(!) of neighbor state Thuringia (from the Left party) for taking part in anti nazi protests in Dresden, Saxony's capital.

These so-called "citizen initiatives" were almost everywhere founded or at least dominated by members of far-right parties like NPD. Of course, there are places where a lot of people, who aren't necessarily fascists, got utilized by the organizers, but the connection between those "citizen initiatives" and militant right-wing extremists was real and obvious from the beginning, for everyone wanting to see it.
Through the wonder of the Internet (and good old deutsche Ordnung!) I've managed to find a recording and transcript of the show!

Now, I'll get my excuses in early :D
There's a very strong chance that I've misunderstood or misinterpreted what the the fella said on the radio (who I now see is a Social Sciences academic, not a lawyer) as my german is nowhere near the legalese level ...
Plus I was driving through traffic at the time...

but this was the bit that stood out:

Für mich war das Terrorismus. Nun ist es nichts Neues, dass zwischen den juristischen Definitionen und den sozialwissenschaftlichen mitunter Welten liegen. Das heißt, es ist in der Tat eines der ersten Male, dass gegen rechte Gewalttäter, die so vorgegangen sind, auch wegen Terrorismus prozessiert wird, verhandelt wird. Denn lange Zeit war es so, dass als Terrorismus eigentlich nur das verstanden wurde, was sich gegen den Staat richtet, was den Staat direkt angreift, das heißt also, der sozialrevolutionäre Terrorismus darunter fiel, und das, was wir hier sehen, rassistisch motivierter Terrorismus – oder wie man vielleicht auch sagen würde: vigilantistischer Terrorismus –, der wurde eigentlich so ein bisschen immer beiseitegewischt, weil der sich nicht gegen den Staat als solchen richtete beziehungsweise weil der Staat sich nicht angegriffen fühlte, das haben wir ja im Komplex des sogenannten Nationalsozialistischen Untergrundes sehr schmerzhaft erfahren. Und insofern ist dieses Verfahren in Freital jetzt durchaus auch ein Indikator für einen Paradigmenwechsel.

To me was terrorism. Now it is nothing new that there are sometimes worlds between legal definitions and social sciences. That is, it is indeed the first time that right-wing violators, who have been so prosecuted, are being prosecuted for terrorism. For a long time it was so that, as terrorism, only what was directed against the state, which directly affected the state, that is, social-revolutionary terrorism, and what we see here, was racist-motivated terrorism - or, as we might say, vigilantist terrorism, which was actually always wiped aside, because it was not directed against the state as such, or because the state did not feel attacked, we have in the complex of the so-called National Socialist Underground very painfully experienced. And so this process in Freital is now also an indicator of a paradigm shift.

So I was kind of right about the state bit but probably did misrepresent some of what he said by drawing my own conclusion - particularly about the charges not sticking due to the fact that such cases have always been "swept aside" (failed).
It would probably have been more accurate to say that he thinks it will be an exception if they get the charges to stick.

It would probably have been more accurate to say that he thinks it will be an exception if they get the charges to stick.

Yes, but it's not that they've tried this repeatedly in court, and failed, but rather that they didn't bring those charges at all. (To be more precise: The whole apparatus to deal with terrorism didn't get involved at all, while the local authorities weren't allowed to bring those charges on their own, without handing control over to federal institutions, higher courts, etc.) The reason is, that it was kind of a state doctrine for many years in Germany, that we don't have any problems with right-wing extremism worth mentioning at all, much less right-wing terrorism. So right-wing criminals weren't let go unpunished, but the political background of their actions were often downplayed, and they were depicted as 'concerned citizens', who spontaneously committed criminal offenses out of 'fear of migrants' while intoxicated. Or political motives were negated at all, and it was spoken about "clashs between rivaling youth gangs" etc. Of course, this was in the interest of the perpetrators as well, because they could easily get a discount on their punishment.

Three men and a woman have been sentenced to prison terms between three and five years for forming a far-right terrorist group in Germany with a plan to bomb refugee homes as a tactic to scare migrants into leaving the country.

The Munich state court ruled that the four founded the so-called Oldschool Society in August 2014. The group grew to have about 30 members with plans to commit attacks on foreigners and refugee homes because of the group’s racist, antisemitic and anti-Muslim beliefs, the court said.

Judge Reinhold Baier said in his verdict the group wanted to drive refugees out of Germany even if it meant killing people to do so, the German news agency DPA reported.

Germany’s top security official, interior minister Thomas de Maizière, applauded the verdict, saying it showed authorities were “acting decisively against any form of terrorism”. He said: “The verdict today shows that the state is determined and vigilant in the fight against rightwing extremism and far-right terrorism.”

The group had planned to attack a refugee shelter in the Saxon town of Borna in May 2015, but police had the group under surveillance and detained the four founding members shortly before they could carry out the plan.

The head of the group, 58-year-old Andreas H, from Augsburg, was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison.

Deputy leader Markus W, 41, received five years, and his girlfriend, Denise G, 24, received three years and 10 months. Both are from the eastern state of Saxony.

Olaf O, the group’s spokesman, from Bochum, was sentenced to three years. Last names were withheld in line with German privacy rules.

The four expressed their hatred for migrants on social media, mobile messaging and in a phone chat group. Denise G, who called herself “terror lady”, expressed impatience during the conversations that attack plans were not developing fast enough, DPA reported.

In a separate conversation, Andreas H and Merkus W talked about how to build a nailbomb.

During raids on their homes, police found weapons, illegal explosives and nails. According to the court, Markus W and Denise G had bought the illegal explosives in the Czech Republic just days before the planned attack in Borna.

Germany has seen a sharp increase in attacks on refugee homes in the last two years amid an unprecedented influx of people seeking refuge in Germany from war, persecution and poverty.

Four jailed in Germany for forming far-right terrorist group

It can be considered a very real threat, insofaras the Verfassungsschutz Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (MV Office for the Protection of the Constitution, a Landes-level security apparatus) has been criticised for failing to properly investigate the activities of the NSU on its territory, with various claims or suspicions of complicity with neonazis in the network around the core NSU trio (the Uwes and Beate Zschäpe) running in parallel with those relating to the Federal BfV and BKA.

Lest we forget, before the NSU intensified its political terror campaign and began murdering immigrants, its cohorts had cut their teeth on attacking leftists.

See:

Verfassungsschutz Mecklenburg-Vorpommern: Vorwürfe gegen Verfassungsschutz und Polizei haltlos

They do like their lists.

German far-right extremists have been keeping 'lists of enemies' | DW | 31.07.2018

Right-wing extremist groups in Germany have gathered more than 25,000 people's contact details in so-called "enemy lists," German media outlet RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland (RND) reported on Monday. The information was disclosed by the German government in response to an inquiry on the matter made by the Left party in the Bundestag. Among the information that right-wing extremists have held were names, phone numbers and addresses of people they deemed "enemies."

German authorities found the lists as part of investigations into prominent cases involving right-wing extremist groups. One of those cases was the National Socialist Underground (NSU), which recently saw the conviction of its surviving member Beate Zschäpe, for her part in the group's terrorist activities that included bombings, robberies, and murders. Another case that led to the finding of the lists was that of Franco A., the 28-year-old German soldier who last year was found to be planning acts of political violence against prominent politicians who supported refugee-friendly policies.

The response to the inquiry revealed that the "enemy lists" have been known to authorities since 2011, but the information had not being archived or held in any database of either the federal or state governments. Only three people on the list of more than 25,000 individuals had been informed that they were being targeted by these groups.

What no update?

Zschäpe was found guilty of ten counts of murder, membership of a terrorist organisation plus involvement in numerous robberies and acts of arson, with a sentence of life imprisonment.

Ralf Wohlleben got ten years for supplying the pistol used in nine of the murders (i.e. all but the last known shooting, that of cop Michele Kiesewetter in 2007).

Holger G and Carsten S got three years apiece for helping a terrorist organisation and nine counts of accessory to murder, and Andre E was sentenced to two-and-a-half years and six months for helping the group, but released for time served.

Neo-Nazi NSU member Beate Zschäpe found guilty of murder, sentenced to life in prison | DW | 11.07.2018

Opinion: Neo-Nazi terror trial underlines German state failure | DW | 11.07.2018

Racism is socially acceptable in Germany, says lawyer in neo-Nazi trial | DW | 10.07.2018

haven't had much time lately, and tbf the thread could be updated on a daily basis. It's hard to keep up. Maybe it's just the long hot summer.
Every day the catalog of hate crimes against foreigners in Germany grows longer.
In June, the government reported 129 xenophobic incidents, up 29 from in the same period last year, including one death and 26 major injuries.
:mad:

500 Neo Nazis just marched through Friedrichshain in Berlin for Rudolf Hess's birthday. Not much resistance really as the route was re-planned last minute, but seeing as the borough is (was) the epicenter of the anarcho punk squatter scene, it'd been interesting to see what would have happened if notice was given earlier. The last couple of visits there I've been shocked by the levels of gentrification in Friedrichhain but still... not exactly Lewisham '77 levels of resistance...:(

The latest uproar was in Dresden (surprise, surprise). Pegida had a march there and one of the demonstrators approached a ZDF (BBC equivalent) news crew who were filming them. He completely lost the plot, hysterically shouting at the film crew to stop their filming. When they refused he called a bunch of pigs over to force them to stop filming who abruptly obliged by physically detaining the film crew for 45 minutes while the demo went on its way.. all this caught on camera.
It turns out, the hysterical Pegida dude - Maik.G -works for the Sachsen LKA - Landeskriminalamt (State Police for Saxony - yep the same one's who have been widely criticised for allegedly helping - sorry, withholding vital evidence - in the NSU case).
Yesterday shit got even weirder. It turns out that Maik G works directly in the audit department for the LKA where it's believed the employees have very high levels of access to sensitive information :hmm:
Here's Maik G donning his Germany bucket hat
image-1330812-860_galleryfree-tuqo-1330812.jpg

Just in case anyone was still uncertain whether there's a systemic issue with the extreme right running the state of Saxony, the leader of the CDU for Saxony twattered yesterday (in full knowledge of these events) something along the lines that the police were the only ones that conducted themselves with any dignity in the whole affair - completely ignoring their violation of press freedom by detaining the film crew. Bizarre....
Dark times.
:(

Last edited:
A bit more from DW this time about how many cops wear brown under the uniform.

The Article said:
Germany
German police fight far-right infiltration claims
Saxony police has been forced to ask whether it is harboring far-right sympathizers, after a TV crew was prevented from filming at a rally. It's not the first time German security forces have come under suspicion.

An incident last week in Dresden, when police detained a TV crew filming a far-right demo against German Chancellor Angela Merkel, has done nothing to quell persistent suspicions about links between the far-right scene and Germany's security forces.

Those rumors were only strengthend with the subsequent revelation that the supporter of the anti-migrant PEGIDA movement, who harassed the reporters and complained to the authorities was himself employed by the Saxony state police department.
Police in Saxony have been accused of a lax approach to the far-right scene on several occasions in the past. In May 2016, at least one police officer in Leipzig was revealed to have close contact with the far-right, anti-Islam scene. And just three months earlier, a video of a policeman in the town of Clausnitz taking a refugee into a headlock provoked a nationwide debate on police violence.

And there was further uproar that year when an officer wished PEGIDA demonstrators at the German Unity Day being held in Dresden, a "successful day."

Back
Top Bottom