Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mother blasts Southwestern after check-in staff mock daughter's name

Gaia

Urban's Village Idiot
This story is almost a year old, but I've only just found it. Airline 'sorry' for mocking girl's name

Traci Redford blasted Southwestern Airlines "insensitivity" after a member of check-in staff mocked her (then) 5-year-old daughter's name, Abcde. (it's pronounced Ab-city, apparently):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

There's no word on whether she sued but, what with it being America, and suing being almost a national pastime over there, odds-on she probably did (y'know, the cynic in me thinks that she gave the poor kid the name so she could profit from it every time someone took the piss). I mean it's fucking stupid even by American standards.

A bit of Googling revealed that the first kid on record to bear the name is also autistic. Mall Santa turns away autistic girl and her service dog - CNN unfortunately, autistic kids are more likely to suffer bullying at school - so not only is this one probably being bullied because she's autistic, but because her parents decided to name her Abcde (which someone on the Stuff.nz website pointed out sounds remarkably like 'obesity' (well, in a Kiwi accent)).

I'm no name snob, but there have to be limits (just reminded myself that somewhere in the US there's a 5-year-old girl called Baby because some z-list sleb decided that would be an appropriate name). The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Not really current news, is it? Why create a thread about something that might have happened nearly a year ago? Also, the pronunciation is 'ab-si-dee' according to the BBC article you posted.

Why shouldn’t she make a thread? She’s got as much right as anyone else. If you’re not interested, just scroll past. I don’t recall ever seeing this story anyway. What some people name their poor kids never fails to amaze me!

Anyway, back on topic - different countries have different limits in terms of allowing baby names.
Our laws are quite liberal because traditionally, naming has been on the conservative side and it hasn't been such a problem.

Can't remember where it is Malaysia or Taiwan where it would be unsurprising to be arrested by someone called Boobies and you'd be expected to keep a straight face.

I preferred the old West Central Belt favourite of Why have they called my baby Femally.?

Why shouldn’t she make a thread? She’s got as much right as anyone else. If you’re not interested, just scroll past. I don’t recall ever seeing this story anyway. What some people name their poor kids never fails to amaze me!
Creating a thread is one thing. Gaia has created a lot of threads in her short time here, as is her right.

But an almost year-old clickbait piece coupled with a ridiculous amount of smilies and an opinion based on a load of assumptions isn't exactly world current affairs. Perhaps better suited to the general forum?

Isn't it in Norway that they have a list of approved names and you get fined if you choose something that isn't on the list?

Creating a thread is one thing. Gaia has created a lot of threads in her short time here, as is her right.

But an almost year-old clickbait piece coupled with a ridiculous amount of smilies and an opinion based on a load of assumptions isn't exactly world current affairs. Perhaps better suited to the general forum?

Didn’t know there was a limit to the amount of smilies people were allowed to use. Or that people can’t have an opinion on something they’ve just noticed that happened a year ago. Seems to me that you’re just joining in with the people that like to have a pop at Gaia tbh. Why have a dig? Just scroll past if it’s not something that interests you.

I generally don't create threads. Creating a good thread is an artform for which I have no talent. However, I will defend the general right of others to create threads.
I don't think that anyone has actually challenged that right on this thread, either in general or the case of this one in particular.

However, I will defend the general right of others to make general statements which don't directly relate to anything said previously on the thread ;)

Isn't it in Norway that they have a list of approved names and you get fined if you choose something that isn't on the list?

I think they have something similar in France.

I'm in two hearts about it - part of me says 'fuck off, what business is it of yours?', but another part, the part married to a teacher, who sees kids set up for a life of piss-taking by their idiot parents, thinks there's some merit in it.

She taught a young lad who's parents wanted to call him Louis, unfortunately they couldn't spell, or be arsed to look it up, so they called him Luey. In conversation that's fine, but in writing it's almost always confused with Lucy - particularly by supply teachers, they walk in, they've never met these kids before, and they call out a name that's obviously been misspelled on the register.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if, 10 years after he left primary school, he still gets called Lucy by mistake. Probably not much fun...

In (I think) the second Freakonomics book there is a section about names, which reveals a kid, whose name is pronounced Shuh-teed, but is written...

Shithead.

Didn’t know there was a limit to the amount of smilies people were allowed to use. Or that people can’t have an opinion on something they’ve just noticed that happened a year ago. Seems to me that you’re just joining in with the people that like to have a pop at Gaia tbh. Why have a dig? Just scroll past if it’s not something that interests you.
I would think you know me better than that moomoo.

Back
Top Bottom