Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Most overused Clichés in movies/TV shows?

Have we had "powerful man who is constantly drinking a glass of whisky pretty much whenever he appears on screen"?
Currently watching Boardwalk Empire, and greatly appreciating the way Arnold Rothstein bucks the trend:
1655660865714.png

Why is that, out of curiosity? I understand the danger if the car is still in the carriageway, but surely there’s none if the resting place of the car is not on the road, and you ensure you don’t run back towards the road?
So basically most crashes don't 'stop' far from the road, if leaving the road at all. The bad ones usually being bad for a reason, like poor visibility, odd junction, motorway, something on the road etc. And then once you crash that causes a situation that throws off all the other drivers, who might have to swerve to avoid wreckage and so on. Even the scenario where you come to a rest far away from the road - well the situation and geography has sent one car down there, which makes it more likely there might be another one following. Better to keep your seatbelt on and the wreckage of your car cushioning any potential further collision for a couple seconds until everything settles and you get your bearings rather than do anything rash

American cops and the FBI can only run surveillance operations on a given location from inside a decoy van parked half a block from the suspect’s address. A flower delivery van if at all possible, but a fake UPS one is also acceptable.

If a car chase happens to be heading towards a railway level crossing, a train will invariably be approaching, with the car being chased managing to cross the tracks just in time, and the people giving chase having to brake and wait for the train to pass, allowing the other party to escape.

People dying from cancer, every time they need to insert some sadness they have someone die of cancer.

I'm dying of cancer and it's very annoying it appears in almost every movie.

Why can't they use school shootings instead?

When in a city, the rooftop level of a multi storey car park is the go-to place to suggest to meet kidnappers, drug dealers, spies or similar characters to conduct a dangerous business transaction. Never mind that you’re effectively trapped with only one exit route available. Flashing your headlights at each other before getting out of the car is also indispensable.

People dying from cancer, every time they need to insert some sadness they have someone die of cancer.

I'm dying of cancer and it's very annoying it appears in almost every movie.

Why can't they use school shootings instead?

I didn’t die of it and the way cancer is used as emotional currency enraged me while I was dealing with it. Now I don’t and won’t watch anything that uses it.

I‘m sorry for your troubles bemused . I hope the road is kind to you.

When in a city, the rooftop level of a multi storey car park is the go-to place to suggest to meet kidnappers, drug dealers, spies or similar characters to conduct a dangerous business transaction. Never mind that you’re effectively trapped with only one exit route available. Flashing your headlights at each other before getting out of the car is also indispensable.
That’s the reason they pick those spots though

American cops and the FBI can only run surveillance operations on a given location from inside a decoy van parked half a block from the suspect’s address. A flower delivery van if at all possible, but a fake UPS one is also acceptable.
And the hero cop leading the investigation, who has already spoken face to face with the subject of the operation, will walk up to the van in broad daylight to speak to the surveillance team...

Last edited:
Every large organisation will employ loads of people whose sole job is to walk around and not apparently do anything. Star Fleet is by far the worst offender in this regard obviously the Federation is a firm believer in full employment no matter what.
They're not alone though the FBI is the same. We've been watching Bones and every time a new body is discovered there is a small army of people milling about yet every time Booth goes to talk to a suspect in a dangerous situation he almost always take Brennan a civilian or sometimes Sweets a psychiatrist with him. There are always loads of other agents in the Hoover building why not take one or two fof them.

As shown in American sitcoms, the front door or kitchen door that leads to the outside in every home in the US is kept permanently unlocked and unlatched during the day. Also, your friends, relatives and neighbours will take advantage of this and walk into your house as they please unannounced, uninvited, and without even bothering to knock first.

TBF, that can be an accurate portrayal of many police headquarters buildings (not operational stations). Apparently.

It’s mostly management sitting down doing nothing in my experience of company life so it’s just wrong

TBF, that can be an accurate portrayal of many police headquarters buildings (not operational stations). Apparently.
Police operational stations are the busiest and most frantic working environments in America, clearly. Just not sure if the dozens of police officers and plain clothes detectives packed close together in one big open plan floor space are doing anything practical, or running around like headless chickens. They certainly have to file countless reports. Preferably by typewriter.

Starting kit script template for most children & family films: a family moves from New York to small town America. Teenage kid deeply resents the parents for cutting them off from their friends in the city, thinks the town is a dump, and initially has trouble making new friends. Eight-year-old kid on the other hand immediately makes friends with other kids and forms a tight-knitted group.

I think my most hated cliché is letting viewers know two characters are brother and sister. When they meet each other, one calls the other sister or brother. Black panther was the most recent one where this annoying "yes, little sister" cliché was used.

Starting kit script template for most children & family films: a family moves from New York to small town America. Teenage kid deeply resents the parents for cutting them off from their friends in the city, thinks the town is a dump, and initially has trouble making new friends. Eight-year-old kid on the other hand immediately makes friends with other kids and forms a tight-knitted group.
See also medical professional moves to a small town after their heart is broken. They have difficulty fitting in at first with their Big City Ways and all but ultimately discover everyone has a Heart of Gold (TM).

When the main character stumbles upon a room full of incriminating stuff at the home of the villain, when they return with the police the following day, the room has been emptied and now contains ordinary household items. And to and insult to injury, everyone believes the main character is lying or has imagined the whole thing. Even their own friends and family.

Reactions: Sue
See also medical professional moves to a small town after their heart is broken. They have difficulty fitting in at first with their Big City Ways and all but ultimately discover everyone has a Heart of Gold (TM).
minus the heartache thats the synopsis for Doc Hollywood (michael J fox)

Reactions: Sue
They will immediately meet their perfect match though it will take most of the movie for them to realise it.

Back
Top Bottom