Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Most overused Clichés in movies/TV shows?

Private investigators in America are unhappy, single, barely functioning alcoholics who always keep a bottle of whisky in a drawer in their small, untidy office. Bonus points for a photo of their dead police partner on the desk.

And the case they are working will end up linked to death of said police partner…

Private investigators in America are unhappy, single, barely functioning alcoholics who always keep a bottle of whisky in a drawer in their small, untidy office. Bonus points for a photo of their dead police partner on the desk.
Double bonus: unpaid/barely paid secretary is the widow of said dead police partner

Most overused cliché filter?

hWjhH.jpg

When a goodie and a baddie are fighting over getting hold of a gun, it will invariably go off during the struggle, and the person who’s been shot will not have felt any pain or indeed be aware they’ve been shot until they look down and notice a blood stain blossoming on their shirt.

Kids in TV shows who are very witty, comedic and great with comebacks. never ever met any kid like this. ever. only got to watch the trailer for miss marvel for an example.
I'll introduce you to my 14 year old Goth daughter.

One from today.

Her "That's not funny"
Me "You're face isn't funny"
Her "Your nan is dead"..

And another from today (bear in mind that Mrs Joe starts Chemo on Weds)

Her "I found some tweezers"
Mrs Joe "that's nice, you'll be able to pluck my chin hairs later"
Her "No need, they'll come out on their own soon".

Not scripted. She's genuinely funny, if not a little offside sometimes

When a goodie and a baddie are fighting over getting hold of a gun, it will invariably go off during the struggle, and the person who’s been shot will not have felt any pain or indeed be aware they’ve been shot until they look down and notice a blood stain blossoming on their shirt.

No. its always a case of the audience being kept in suspense as to who it was that was shot, until the shot one falls down.

I'll introduce you to my 14 year old Goth daughter.

One from today.

Her "That's not funny"
Me "You're face isn't funny"
Her "Your nan is dead"..

And another from today (bear in mind that Mrs Joe starts Chemo on Weds)

Her "I found some tweezers"
Mrs Joe "that's nice, you'll be able to pluck my chin hairs later"
Her "No need, they'll come out on their own soon".

Not scripted. She's genuinely funny, if not a little offside sometimes
She's half Jimmy Carr, half Frankie Boyle and half baby Baroness. If she doesn't make it (if she chooses too), she'll be the worst girlfriend ever x

It's not a cliche in films or TV shows as well, it's just a turn of phrase that gets old men yelling at clouds. I mean the fact that the article references public speaking ought to have given it away.

Edit: fuck me, it's not even an article, it's just someone moaning in a comment thread. I'm not even convinced it's a common thing any more.

I am catching the tragic whiff of a bit of social climbing, the desire to
appear more cultured, more erudite.

This motherfucker lol

It's not a cliche in films or TV shows as well, it's just a turn of phrase that gets old men yelling at clouds. I mean the fact that the article references public speaking ought to have given it away.

Edit: fuck me, it's not even an article, it's just someone moaning in a comment thread. I'm not even convinced it's a common thing any more.

This motherfucker lol
Listen to American newscasters. It's endemic. To me it's posing, fake & sounds artificial...

Listen to American newscasters. It's endemic. To me it's posing, fake & sounds artificial...
Nonsense. It’s just a synonymous phrase. Deliberately sticking to just one word/phrase when you can use more to stop sounding repetitive is more ‘fake’

Ugh, I've just been reminded of one: the protaganist is unaware of a crucial piece of information that could be relayed to them in about 30 seconds but people keep coming into the room or explosions keep happening so they don't get the information and the viewer has to wait half an hour, supposedly, in suspense, until they get the information, because you know and they don't. But actually what you're thinking is, 'they could have been told it earlier, even with the explosions and shit, because actually it was really important and wouldn't have taken long'.

If someone has to carry highly sensitive documents, illegal merchandise, or large amounts of cash across town in a briefcase, it is very important that it is handcuffed to their wrist. It might be a bit of a giveaway as to the enormous value of the briefcase’s contents, but not even the most dastardly of criminals would have the stomach to chop their hand off to steal it.

If someone has to carry highly sensitive documents, illegal merchandise, or large amounts of cash across town in a briefcase, it is very important that it is handcuffed to their wrist. It might be a bit of a giveaway as to the enormous value of the briefcase’s contents, but not even the most dastardly of criminals would have the stomach to chop their hand off to steal it.
And yet people in scifis have their eyes gouged and fingers chopped off to get through retina and fingerprint scanners

The guilty pause in most TV shows (and quite a few films).

If I was talking to someone and asked them "is there anything wrong / I need to know / a secret child you've yet to inform me about", and their response was a noticeable silence, followed by an unconvincing "no", I'm assuming they have a secret love child and also suck at lying.

In a similar vein, this exchange that happens in everything:

"Hey"
"What?"
............"nothing"

No one does this in real life :mad:

The guilty pause in most TV shows (and quite a few films).

If I was talking to someone and asked them "is there anything wrong / I need to know / a secret child you've yet to inform me about", and their response was a noticeable silence, followed by an unconvincing "no", I'm assuming they have a secret love child and also suck at lying.

In a similar vein, this exchange that happens in everything:

"Hey"
"What?"
............"nothing"

No one does this in real life :mad:
I’ve mentioned this already in this thread, but no one ever IRL who’s been caught in an apparently compromising situation has opened up with ‘I can explain!’

In any will-they-won’t-they situations where the protagonists have long been in love with each other but been afraid to express their feelings, their would-be first kiss will take place around the halfway mark, and will be interrupted by a phone ringing or someone walking into the room just about they’re about to lock lips. Upon which they will both look embarrassed and one of them will walk away, with the other looking crestfallen.

In any situation where a moderately sized rock hard protagonist is kicking the shit out of a crowd of thugs there will be one absolute brick shithouse who steps forward for our hero to beat. Bonus points for 'come here little man', devastating wild haymakers and/or throwing our hero into bins/window/scenery

Back
Top Bottom