Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mike Ashley's Sports Direct buys the House of Fraser for £90m

I can imagine the scene: senior managers at HoF saying "But we can't do that; we have to treat our staff with dignity and respect" and Ashley saying "Nah, fuck 'em. If you won't get on board with treating workers like shit I'll get managers who will."

:( :mad:

Last edited:
I can imagine the scene: senior managers at HoF saying "But we can't do that; we have to treat our staff with dignity and respect" and Ashley saying "Nah, fuck 'em. If you won't get on board with treating workers like shit I'll get managers who will."

:( :mad:

I have no experience at running a chain of upmarket department stores, and am not defending that 'orrible cunt Ashley, but HoF's management did bring the company to the point of collapse, so perhaps it is not unreasonable for them to sod off ?

I worked as a Barista in the bar area of Mike Ashley's office near Tottenham Court Road. I can confirm that in person the man is a grade A cunt and does indeed treat his workers - and anyone in the immediate vicinity, especially low paid workers like me - like shit

Purely for a sense of scale, I see one retailer has written of £600,000 as a result of hof going bust.

And his empire continues to grow:

_104150336_mike_ashley_empire_640-nc.png

What is Mike Ashley's plan for the High Street?

No surprises here though what does surprise me is Cotswold is also right up there ( a poll of 5 or 6 brands perhaps).

"At the other end of the list, the highest-rated shop was outdoor and travel clothing retailer Rohan, with an 87% positive score. The retailer was singled out for quality, staff helpfulness, and its guarantee."

I'd almost forgotten, I worked for Rohan maybe twelve years ago. What a fucking scum company. Zero hours contract for shop staff, emphasis on high pressure sales, and a manager who would come onto the shop floor and mess the clothes up in order to keep the staff busy.

"At the other end of the list, the highest-rated shop was outdoor and travel clothing retailer Rohan, with an 87% positive score. The retailer was singled out for quality, staff helpfulness, and its guarantee."

I'd almost forgotten, I worked for Rohan maybe twelve years ago. What a fucking scum company. Zero hours contract for shop staff, emphasis on high pressure sales, and a manager who would come onto the shop floor and mess the clothes up in order to keep the staff busy.

I'm surprised, I generally thought that shops with good customer satisfaction had good employee relations. Your manager sounded like a c*nt.
If I was managing a place and all the work was done I let everyone slack off for a bit. a) it shows respect and b) when it gets busy everyone is going to more rested to help customers.
But then I've never managed anything.

Ellis Brigham's are excellent. Staff had full salary paid, very nice and friendly and gave me 10% off with just a little friendly persuasion. :thumbs:

Must have got its act together.

Back
Top Bottom