Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men’s violence against women and girls is a national emergency

The trial of the person who tried to murder my best mates sister-in-law began today.

How can he deny attempted murder when you read what is in the link. I hope the jury are not taken in.
Scum. Fingers crossed he's found guilty and gets the max.

I hope she's as OK as it's possible to be after such an ordeal.

How violent misogynist images and messages are being pushed onto boys:

Cai told the BBC he tried to use one of Instagram’s tools and a similar one on TikTok to say he was not interested in violent or misogynistic content - but he says he continued to be recommended it.

He is interested in UFC - the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He also found himself watching videos from controversial influencers when they were sent his way, but he says he did not want to be recommended this more extreme content.

Cai, now 18, says he is still being pushed violent and misogynistic content on both Instagram and TikTok.

When we scroll through his Instagram Reels, they include an image making light of domestic violence. It shows two characters side by side, one of whom has bruises, with the caption: “My Love Language”. Another shows a person being run over by a lorry.

Social media: Why algorithms show violence to boys

That's terrible. Poor woman, hope she's fully recovered.

Scum. Fingers crossed he's found guilty and gets the max.

I hope she's as OK as it's possible to be after such an ordeal.

I last saw her in July and she seemed in good spirits and understand from my friend that she’s recovering very well overall.

The trial will be tough I’m sure, but I hope she can then move on and life can get back to normal gradually. She is lucky to have a very supportive family and job.

Men on this thread who have been asking what they can do; the above is an example. Contact your MP and ask what they are doing to make proper, decent DV training a mandatory, or better still, statutory requirement as part of social work training.
Hull Crown Court has heard that Ryan Parker of Portobello Street, off Holderness Road, east Hull, was left with a black eye, a fractured eye socket and a broken cheekbone after witnesses came to the rescue when he was beating up his girlfriend:

89219403-13807559-image-m-2_1725355378387.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Ryan Parker admitted causing actual bodily harm, possessing a knife and threatening behaviour. He was jailed for 20 months and he was given a six-year restraining order:

Violent bully viciously attacked girlfriend - but was then beaten up by others

Not sure if more violence is the answer, GarveyLives
On one level, I agree.

But then again, I wonder what it would take to stop horrific attacks like the one above, of Ugandan athlete Rebecca Cheptegei being doused in petrol and set alight, suffering 75% per cent burns?

I know that 'an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind' but sometimes the thought crosses my mind that maybe prison sentences aren't enough for crimes like that, or acid attacks, and maybe the only suitable deterrent would be for the punishment to fit the crime and for the perpetrator to suffer similar injuries. I mean, the guys get away with it virtually scot free, meanwhile the woman suffers life-long pain and multiple surgeries and ongoing treatment and permanent disfigurement.

It made the news earlier this year, when Katie Piper had to pull out of a programme due to needing unplanned surgery. She's had countless surgeries over the years. I just Googled and came across a reference to her at the time of making a programme in 2012 as having had 100+ medical procedures since the attack in 2008.

I mean, I'm obviously not serious about this, because it wouldn't be feasible or ethical, or desirable really, I know that deep down, but can't help a small part of me thinking the attackers should get their just desserts. Because where's the justice in relatively short sentences when the women who've been attacked suffer for the rest of their lives?

Yup. After I was stabbed by my ex, I had quite a few dodgy bloke mates offer to 'sort him out' for me, either just as a scare (kidnap, car boot, hood, left naked in a forest etc) or actual taking him fully out. I wanted neither, there had already been too much violence, and I did not want to put myself down at that level. Yes, I wanted him to die/not exist anymore, but I didn't want to be the one that caused it to happen. The mates didn't understand that, but they did respect it, thank fuck.

It’s not the ‘eye for an eye’ notion that I was taking issue with tbh. I was questioning whether further violence, in the long term, is something we want to be encouraging as it certainly doesn’t help to break the mindset of certain violent males.
Oh, yeah, I totally agree regarding violence not being the answer to violence.

It's more that I feel helpless and frustrated, due at least in part to firmly believing that prison isn't a sufficient deterrent, and so wonder whether a taste of their own medicine - truly suffering the consequences of their actions - might be the only thing that could deter the men that commit these kinds of despicable crimes.

On a fundamental level, I believe in rehabilitation and restorative justice. The problem is that there's the law and then there's justice and the two aren't necessarily the same thing. And also, how can such a system work when the perpetrators - and I'm talking about MVAWG more generally now - often lack remorse, don't realise or accept that they've done anything heinous, and a lot of that is down to systemic failures, failures of the police, failures of the criminal (in)justice system, and society more generally.

Yup. After I was stabbed by my ex, I had quite a few dodgy bloke mates offer to 'sort him out' for me, either just as a scare (kidnap, car boot, hood, left naked in a forest etc) or actual taking him fully out. I wanted neither, there had already been too much violence, and I did not want to put myself down at that level. Yes, I wanted him to die/not exist anymore, but I didn't want to be the one that caused it to happen. The mates didn't understand that, but they did respect it, thank fuck.
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Hope the cunt responsible got the harshest punishment available.

Fucking hell. So sorry that happened to you. I hope you're okay now. (((sojourner))) x

Fucking hell. So sorry that happened to you. I hope you're okay now. (((sojourner))) x
Long time ago now but thank you. I still have PTSD that comes back like a shot given the right triggers (you wouldn't believe how popular stabbing is in films!), ridiculous startle response, hypervigilance (exhausting but manageable mostly), the feeling of being 'removed' from most people, and still sometimes have to face 'the look' from new people when I tell them about it (because it somehow always comes up), but I can live, and have lived, with all of those things. I couldn't live with myself if I was responsible for the death of another human being.

A good mother is a decent start in generating the right sort of behaviour.

My mother was a traditional housewife, but also a feminist, although she would never have described herself as such.

She made it clear to me from boyhood that women are different to men, and should be treated differently. Not weaker, not less intelligent and not less capable, but different.

You do not shout at women. You do not swear at women. You do not make a woman experience fear (If you are walking along a deserted pavement towards a woman, you cross the road well before you come to her.). You do not hit women. You do not belittle women. You do not discuss intimate relationships with anyone. (The last made me an oddity in the army, because I would not allow others to describe what they did in bed the previous night.). If a woman is being attacked, physically or verbally, you step in.

I've abided by those rules all my life.

It is quite hard to put into words something that you do by reflex.

Generally no, but in this case it stopped him from punching the woman, so it was totally justified and efficient.
This assumes that no other way no other way of intervening successfully.
A good mother is a decent start in generating the right sort of behaviour.

My mother was a traditional housewife, but also a feminist, although she would never have described herself as such.

She made it clear to me from boyhood that women are different to men, and should be treated differently. Not weaker, not less intelligent and not less capable, but different.

You do not shout at women. You do not swear at women. You do not make a woman experience fear (If you are walking along a deserted pavement towards a woman, you cross the road well before you come to her.). You do not hit women. You do not belittle women. You do not discuss intimate relationships with anyone. (The last made me an oddity in the army, because I would not allow others to describe what they did in bed the previous night.). If a woman is being attacked, physically or verbally, you step in.

I've abided by those rules all my life.

It is quite hard to put into words something that you do by reflex.

I hate this. Sorry.
It should be:

"You do not shout at anyone. You do not swear at anyone. You do not make a anyone experience fear . You do not hit anyone."

Back
Top Bottom