Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

March for Palestine 14th & 28th October 2023

Well, the BBC building on Portland Place where the march starts was attacked with some red paint this morning.

A Metropolitan police spokesperson said: “We are aware of criminal damage to a building in Portland Place, W1A.

At this stage there is no suggestion this is linked to any protest group.

Meanwhile, in actual fucking news, involving a bit more than red paint.

How we verified video of strike on fleeing Palestinians​

We've been reporting that at least 12 people, including young children, have been killed in a strike on a Palestinian convoy fleeing northern Gaza via a designated evacuation route.
We were able to do this because of video footage from the aftermath of the strike, which we verified the location of.

A demo in London today, thought it might be worth its own thread.

If you're there, let us know what's going down.
There's a lot about this on the main thread now. Not being pedantic just letting you know as not noticed your name on there for a bit. Couple of posters present.

No bricks through windows, no fights with coppers, no mass arrests, no anti-semitism. The OP must be well disappointed.

Gramsci your photos are great, and welcome. But this thread was not started with good intentions, as was displayed rather quickly by the second post.

I'd stick to the main thread.

No bricks through windows, no fights with coppers, no mass arrests, no anti-semitism. The OP must be well disappointed.

Gramsci your photos are great, and welcome. But this thread was not started with good intentions, as was displayed rather quickly by the second post.

I'd stick to the main thread.
The mail's reporting minor scuffles as tho they were a major off

Reactions: Ax^
IMG_20231014_134858.jpg

I was curious about this photo I took on the demo on Saturday

The reference is to a Palestinian poet. Famous. Im not big on poetry so had to look this up

She wrote about the suffering of the Palestinian people

Tuqan is widely considered a symbol of the Palestinian cause and "one of the most distinguished figures of modern Arabic literature."

Given that there were maybe 100,000 people there, certainly 50k+, it was about as peaceful a march as anyone could possibly have hoped for. But that was never going to stop certain quarters from portraying it otherwise.
a few idiots got themselves arrested but the organisers managed a frankly brilliant job of keeping "edgelords" and attention whores controlled who would have been all over the media ruining the point of the demo

I witnessed the incident in this photo. I was standing a little off stage to the right. Saw the brief scuffle but didn't realise they'd improvised weapons. They'd been standing there with a couple of England flags chanting 'We love England'

A sadder group of men you could not wish to encounter. They were seen off very quickly. tbf they were seen off by people in general rather than a specific group of antifascists.

signal-2023-10-15-181458_002-1024x576.jpeg

Any demands on the march for the release of the 199 hostages?
I may be wrong, but I believe that the demonstration on Saturday was aimed at the government of the UK, which is an ally of the State of Israel. It would not make sense to make demands of the UK government with respect to Hamas.

They have UK hostages, coud have demanded the UK government do something directly about them. The demands were varied but mostly seemed to forget the people that were tortured, murdered, raped or kidnapped last week by Hamas.

Last edited:
They have UK hostages, coud have demanded the UK government do something directly about them. The demands were varied but mostly seemed to forget the people that were tortured, murdered, raped or kidnapped last week by Hamas.
I'm tempted to go to the march this weekend, partly out of a sense of impotence, partly just a reaction to the horror of the whole thing. I'd like there to be at least a recognition of what happened last week, though with the involvement of the STWC I won't hold my breath. Same time, maybe it's just about being there to counter the green light various governments have given Netanyahu. Beyond making a donation for Gaza, it's hard to get beyond a horrid fatalism about where this is going. :(

I may be wrong, but I believe that the demonstration on Saturday was aimed at the government of the UK, which is an ally of the State of Israel. It would not make sense to make demands of the UK government with respect to Hamas.
It wasn't aimed mainly at the UK government, although there was a bit of that. The vast majority of the marchers were calling for an end to the bombing of Gaza and for freedom to Palestinians. The demo was directed both for Palestinians and against the Israeli state. It was above all an expression of solidarity with the Palestinian cause. Clearly I wasn't everywhere all the time, and I also don't read Arabic, but I didn't hear or see the word Hamas once.

The joint Israeli-Palestinian group Standing Together put this out, which seems a pretty clear example of how you can put demands based around the hostages to the Israeli government:

Back
Top Bottom