Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boycotting products etc from Israel to help stop the genocide in Palestine 2024

What is needed is industrial action.
We need to promote the idea of workers boycotting all trade with the State of Israel, in support of an immediate ceasefire.
Dockers in a number of countries are reported to be engaged in such boycotts.
We ought to be putting Motions to our unions calling for such union action.

Israel still in Eurovision. That's Eurovision done for me this year BBC News - Eurovision 2024: Israel agrees to October Rain lyrics change
They’ll probably do as well as the U.K. did for the few years after Blair broke rank and gobbled off George Bush and went plundering in Iraq.

What I should have said was that Israel is by no means the only country engaged in utterly unacceptable practices, we should also be doing something about that.

Russian oil is being covered in transit by British insurance companies, arms are being exported to Israel from the UK, etc etc.

I can appreciate that people feel that they are doing something by boycotting and marching, which they are, but to a minute extent.

Only the government can apply meaningful sanctions, and it isn't doing so. I also see nothing from Labour to indicate that they would cancel export licenses.

Add in the fact that so many people are struggling just to live, not live well, just live, it is unsurprising that people are not involved as much as they might be. A million marching throughout the land means that circa forty million are not.

I'm not criticising those who have given their time and effort, but am deeply cynical as to whether it will achieve anything.

I would imagine that many people in Israel want an end to this, and an immediate end at that, but they are in the same boat as us, only their government can change things,. which they show no sign of doing.

A heart-breaking clusterfuck, with no sign of it ending. The end of hostilities is far from the end though, the infrastructure of Gaza is so damaged that it will take many years to restore it, that is if Israel doesn't blockade building supplies.

So I take it from this post of yours that people who do decide to boycott some Israeli products aren't hypocrites

It was said on the radio that the Eurovision entry from Iceland is being sung by a person with Palestinian Arab heritage, and will include lyrics about the oppression of the Palestinians.
They have come out and said that they will change the lyrics...

Still should be boycotted

I was looking for something else and found this, so thanks to frogwoman all those years back

Why is it that those who support peaceful non violent action against Israeli government get this level of criticism. This thread was started out as an information thread by Aladdin.

The thread on solidarity demos has not had this level of accusations of hypocrisy or whataboutery.

If posters have a problem with the politics of this they could go on the main thread on the Gaza thread. Hamas/ Israel conflict thread rather than derailing this well meaning information thread. Started as a thread for info for those interested. Then other posters pile in.

Personally I do not understand why non violent action that Palestinian civil society ask for is a problem.

As I've said before those posters who have a problem with it could suggest alternatives.

Just been watching the latest that has been happening in Gaza.

Decent people would like to do a little bit to support the terrible things that Palestinians are going through due to Israeli state action

Last edited:
Tbh if youre not boycotting products from Israel at the moment, you must be a real arsehole. Obviously you don't always know. Does it matter if it's hard or not? Yes there are many despotic regimes in the world, perhaps also worthy of a boycot, but they arent currently carrying out the crimes being committed in Gaza. Israel is.

And 100% Israeli economy being affected does have an impact on its politics, government, direction of social change.

Boycotts like this do nothing to change the politics in Israel though. It's just a way to make people to feel they're doing something. There's nothing wrong with that but in terms of political effectivness it's pretty sterile. My dad used to boycot Israeli and South African products. I'd take the mick because back in the 70s and 80s the only stuff to come out of those countries were Jaffa oranges and the occasional tin of fruit, so boycotting them was a piece of piss.

Back in the 80s people managed to fill many trolley loads of South African goods in supermarkets as a peaceful direct action, and did it because South Africans called for it.

Supporters of the Non-Stop Picket heeded the call for people’s sanctions, issued in May 1986 by James Motlatse and Cyril Ramaphosa, two leaders of the South African mineworkers’ union, during a visit to Britain. They said, “if your government will not impose sanctions, then you much act over their heads”.

On Saturday 25 October 1986, City Group organised a day of action for People’s Sanctions. At 11.30 that morning, City Group supporters carried out six simultaneous actions for a consumer boycott of South African goods at supermarkets around inner London.

At each of these supermarkets, multiple teams of activists went inside the stores posing as shoppers and filled their trolleys with South African goods. With their trolleys overflowing with Outspan oranges, grapes from the Cape, John West tuna and other products, the teams would join the queues for the checkouts. Each team would join a different queue, with the intention that they would each reach the till in quick succession. As the supermarket staff finished ringing up the cost of one trolley’s worth of shopping at one till, the activist-shoppers would realise their ‘mistake’ and refuse to pay for those South African goods.

The theatricality of these actions could be very effective in how they challenged bystanders to think about apartheid. It was no uncommon for these trolley push actions to inspire and empower shoppers to challenge the store managers about their continued sale of South African produce. Other shoppers would be provoked to review and reconsider the goods they had in their shopping baskets and trolleys. Still other shoppers might express their frustration and anger that their Saturday morning shopping trip was being disrupted in this way. It was often harder to gauge the reactions of shop staff, although some would find ways to express their support for the action and their sympathy for a boycott of South African goods.

A very interesting piece from Naomi Klein, on this issue, from a few weeks ago.

Groups of organized consumers have the power to boycott companies that invest in illegal settlements, or power Israeli weapons. Trade unions can push their pension funds to divest from those firms. Municipal governments can select contractors based on ethical criteria that forbid these relationships. As Omar Barghouti, one of the founders and leaders of the BDS movement, reminds us: “The most profound ethical obligation in these times is to act to end complicity. Only thus can we truly hope to end oppression and violence.”

In these ways, BDS deserves to be seen as a people’s foreign policy, or diplomacy from below – and if it gets strong enough, it will eventually force governments to impose sanctions from above, as South Africa is attempting to do. Which is clearly the only force that can get Israel off its current path.

Tbh if youre not boycotting products from Israel at the moment, you must be a real arsehole. Obviously you don't always know. Does it matter if it's hard or not? Yes there are many despotic regimes in the world, perhaps also worthy of a boycot, but they arent currently carrying out the crimes being committed in Gaza. Israel is.

And 100% Israeli economy being affected does have an impact on its politics, government, direction of social change.

Nonsense.

Basically the argument is:

It makes so little difference so your a mug for doing it.

If you boycott some Israeli products why are you not boycotting others- you hypocrite. Also can include Israel is being unfairly picked on arguement.

Its to easy so can be ridiculed - ( dates). Part of the whatever you do its "performative bollox" line of argument.

Most people are more concerned about trying to get by so if you take action to support Palestinians you de facto aren't part of the ordinary people in this country.

There is no point doing anything as its a clusterfuck. The all hate each other and that's that. - the no context /historical background arguement.

The US have the power to do something but will not. That is just how things are so you performative lot are just wasting your time.

Boycotts like this do nothing to change the politics in Israel though. It's just a way to make people to feel they're doing something. There's nothing wrong with that but in terms of political effectivness it's pretty sterile. My dad used to boycot Israeli and South African products. I'd take the mick because back in the 70s and 80s the only stuff to come out of those countries were Jaffa oranges and the occasional tin of fruit, so boycotting them was a piece of piss. Israel is still easy for people to exclude without really having to do much. To maintain any kind of consistency you'd need to boycott the US too, but that'd impact on people's computers and smartphones which is a completely different proposal.

If I were to boycott states whose regimes stink, China, Iran and Russia would top that list, closely followed by the rest of the arab states and pretty much any country with "stan" on the end of its name. And that's without considering African states like Chad, Guinea, and Burundi.

Is this what this is about. Taking the Mick out of posters on this thread is continuation of the way you took the Mick out of your father.

You have no interest in boycotts yet come on this thread.

It is you who should go off and do your own thing

I've an interest in posting my opinions about them. The fact that you don't understand them isn't my fault.

I'll decide where and how I post thanks.

Last edited:
I've an interest in posting my opinions about them. The fact that you don't understan d them isn't my fault.

I'll decide where and how I post thanks.

So when you say to me:

Get to fuck and do you're own thing

Does not seem to me that you think I should have the liberty to decide where and how I post.

Back
Top Bottom