Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boycotting products etc from Israel to help stop the genocide in Palestine 2024

There were some young people in my local area recently handing out leaflets about boycotting Israeli dates. Which seemed slightly weirdly specific.

It is because this is major export of illegal settlements on West Bank. Land stolen from Palestinians. Who end up as exploited labour to do the hard work of picking the dates. Not only are Palestinians losing land to Zionists they are ending up a cheap labour

Dates are symbolic of stolen farmland.

for Zionists. 19boycott-dates-p1.jpg19boycott-dates-p2.jpg

Last edited:
Phillips, Samsung, Dell, Gillete etc etc etc.

It is almost impossible to avoid buying products made in China, especially if buying online.

Yes, you absolutely will not be able to do that I'm afraid sas.

There's a different set of principles here though. For one thing a true collapse in the Chinese economy is a terrifying idea. For another there are already trade restrictions, state-sanctioned attempts to relocate manufacturing etc.

Finally one of the main points here is that key products are produced on settler land, and it is possible to identify that. An equivalent might be boycotting Chinese companies that operate factories in Xinjiang, which afaik does happen (and again, with major companies on board), though not particularly up to date.

There were some young people in my local area recently handing out leaflets about boycotting Israeli dates. Which seemed slightly weirdly specific.
I'm pretty skeptical about consumer actions but Zaytoun products are absolutely delicious so can throughly recommend getting all your dates via them
Available in most Oxfams

Seriously. It did not say on the box 'Made in China' otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

How many Urbanites use Apple (made in China) products? I don't use Apple, but that was a decision based on their extortionate pricing made three decades ago.

If you use a mobile or a PC/laptop, you will be using products made in China. Even the fairphone has components made in China.

It is because this is major export of illegal settlements on West Bank. Land stolen from Palestinians. Who end up as exploited labour to do the hard work of picking the dates. Not only are Palestinians losing land to Zionists they are ending up a cheap labour

Dates are symbolic of stolen farmland.

for Zionists. View attachment 414378View attachment 414379

Boycotting Israeli dates! By the Islamic Human Rights Commission :rolleyes:

Not really a hardship is it?

I'm boycotting North Korean mushrooms in solidarity with South Korea.

Boycotting Israeli dates! By the Islamic Human Rights Commission :rolleyes:

Not really a hardship is it?

I'm boycotting North Korean mushrooms in solidarity with South Korea.
It's a message aimed predominantly at Muslims, as dates are a staple of their diet during Ramadan (it's not mandatory but preferred to break one's fast with dates each evening, so families will often bulk buy dates). That's probably the reasoning behind the specific leafleting against Israeli dates that Sue saw in any case, as Ramadan is coming up and I doubt many British Muslims will want to fund Israeli settlements.

Ramadan is approaching and Muslims break their fast with dates.
I live in a big Turkish/Kurdish area so Ive actually had a look the last few times I've been in local wee shops. None of them seem to be selling Israeli dates which I'm not hugely surprised by tbh (they're not something I buy so can't say I've ever checked before).

It's coming up to the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Traditionally, Muslims break their daily fast by eating a date. So you'll often see more dates on sale around Ramadan, especially medjool dates in nice packaging for hosting iftar (the break-fast evening meal) and/or giving as gifts.

I've been boycotting Israeli stuff for as long as I can remember. It used to completely floor the ex, to whom my strictures on which things we could buy and which we couldn't seemed completely impenetrable (she isn't very political. I mean, I'm not ESPECIALLY political, but I look like a raging politicalist compared to her).

I learned something new: Muslims break their fast with dates during Ramadan. I don't know much about Ramadan in general, but this is definitely a new lesson for me.

While I understand (to a point) the concept of the boycotting Israeli products, it seems like every time I turn around, someone somewhere is boycotting a country's stuff.

I have (old world) Japanese friends who now have made it a joke that they read stuff carefully, as to not have anything Chinese around. The joke is because now that the matriarch is getting up there in age, the family has let a few things slip over the last couple years and hoped she wouldn't really mind.

Personally, I feel people can do what they want in support or anti-support of countries / products. I do look at labels, but I am not trying to discern country of origin. If it's food and something I can or cannot have, I will either buy it or I won't (and look for an alternative). If it's household products that can get my place clean and sanitized, I'm going to get it. Things come from all over the world. Just because a bar code says one thing, doesn't mean the product came from there (I've read plenty of packages that say "Made In" or "Product Of" and it's not a place I would have normally associated the item to be coming from.

I learned something new: Muslims break their fast with dates during Ramadan. I don't know much about Ramadan in general, but this is definitely a new lesson for me.

While I understand (to a point) the concept of the boycotting Israeli products, it seems like every time I turn around, someone somewhere is boycotting a country's stuff.

I have (old world) Japanese friends who now have made it a joke that they read stuff carefully, as to not have anything Chinese around. The joke is because now that the matriarch is getting up there in age, the family has let a few things slip over the last couple years and hoped she wouldn't really mind.

Personally, I feel people can do what they want in support or anti-support of countries / products. I do look at labels, but I am not trying to discern country of origin. If it's food and something I can or cannot have, I will either buy it or I won't (and look for an alternative). If it's household products that can get my place clean and sanitized, I'm going to get it. Things come from all over the world. Just because a bar code says one thing, doesn't mean the product came from there (I've read plenty of packages that say "Made In" or "Product Of" and it's not a place I would have normally associated the item to be coming from.
Nah, for me, boycotting Israel isn't a nuanced thing - it's a nailed-on deal. Entitlement + full-on right-wing government + victim status = Just No.

Nah, for me, boycotting Israel isn't a nuanced thing - it's a nailed-on deal. Entitlement + full-on right-wing government + victim status = Just No.

Everyone has their stance and I am not saying people are right or wrong for boycotting anything. I find it uniquely fascinating when the conversation gets going on the "why" and "why not", but I also am not of the right mind for full on debates because I would be a hypocrite if I tried to talk myself out of the conversation. Like I said, I read packaging, but I don't not get something if I don't have to.

Everyone has their stance and I am not saying people are right or wrong for boycotting anything. I find it uniquely fascinating when the conversation gets going on the "why" and "why not", but I also am not of the right mind for full on debates because I would be a hypocrite if I tried to talk myself out of the conversation. Like I said, I read packaging, but I don't not get something if I don't have to.
Fair enough. The point of boycotting is that it's a voluntary act.

Other ways of rationalising the idea that people should do nothing are available.

Boycotts like this do nothing to change the politics in Israel though. It's just a way to make people to feel they're doing something. There's nothing wrong with that but in terms of political effectivness it's pretty sterile. My dad used to boycot Israeli and South African products. I'd take the mick because back in the 70s and 80s the only stuff to come out of those countries were Jaffa oranges and the occasional tin of fruit, so boycotting them was a piece of piss. Israel is still easy for people to exclude without really having to do much. To maintain any kind of consistency you'd need to boycott the US too, but that'd impact on people's computers and smartphones which is a completely different proposal.

If I were to boycott states whose regimes stink, China, Iran and Russia would top that list, closely followed by the rest of the arab states and pretty much any country with "stan" on the end of its name. And that's without considering African states like Chad, Guinea, and Burundi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom