Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
surely the intelligence arm operate on the 'know them, watch them' thing on the idea that
1) they've done nothing yet and may lead you to bigger fish
2)if you nab the ones you know before something happens its internment (always a winner eh) and they'll be replaced by people you don't know

thats why I recon they are always known. Another did just occur to me- arse covering. 'We knew of him but we didn't know he planned this' presumably sounds a lot better than 'we didn't have a scooby.
i think having an ak and being disciplined enough to calmly gun down scores of people, that doesn't come from nowhere and is a cut above the 7/7 bombers. likely to have been well known and at some point actively monitored.

Cameron talking, "continue to provide our intelligence agencies all the resources they need" ..
For sure they will.

It's going to be instructive to see exactly how this plot was planned - sophisticated, encrypted electronic comms or something more mundane - and how the state works from that for a request for greater powers.

For sure they will.

It's going to be instructive to see exactly how this plot was planned - sophisticated, encrypted electronic comms or something more mundane - and how the state works from that for a request for greater powers.

As far back as the IRA, indeed, no doubt before them, the way of transmitting ultra-sensitive information was face to face.

I am no technical wizard, but even I can think of many ways to circumvent government electronic data gathering. It is possible to transmit information within a jpeg, so put up 50 photos in a Photobucket, or any other free picture site, one of which contains the message. Old technology such as a microdot under a postage stamp on an envelope still works. Once you move away from direct electronic communication, detection becomes much more difficult.

As far back as the IRA, indeed, no doubt before them, the way of transmitting ultra-sensitive information was face to face.

I am no technical wizard, but even I can think of many ways to circumvent government electronic data gathering. It is possible to transmit information within a jpeg, so put up 50 photos in a Photobucket, or any other free picture site, one of which contains the message. Old technology such as a microdot under a postage stamp on an envelope still works. Once you move away from direct electronic communication, detection becomes much more difficult.

One thing I learned from watching a programme about foling plots was that even if you type on a Word doc and then delete the text without saving, they can still find out what you typed. At least that's what I understood. Is that right? If so, it would make you lean towards old-fashioned techniques.

Numbers stations and a man in the field with a one-time pad is still hard to beat but that's out of the range of possibilities for these cells.

One thing I learned from watching a programme about foling plots was that even if you type on a Word doc and then delete the text without saving, they can still find out what you typed. At least that's what I understood. Is that right? If so, it would make you lean towards old-fashioned techniques.

Those edits will be saved in the document file to allow the Undo and Redo functions to work, I guess.

It's Islam itself that caused these attacks according to the editor of the Spectator.

However, those who are claiming this racist bullshit are also engaging in faux-offence taking over the much more accurate analysis that the very existence of ISIS in its current form would be impossible without the 2003 invasion.

Pam Geller's Eurabia conspiracy theories are being main-streamed today in the liberal media by very prominent journalists, this is going to filter down into attacks on people in the street and what's more I think they know it.

have you seen the very interedting book "decoding the ira"?

Keith Hart just posted this on FB

After the Paris attacks. A letter to my daughter, Lou Hart.

Sophie and Constance are shaken, S more moved by all the calls from kin and friends, poring over images of the carnage, but also thinking of what it means to be gunned down in a bar, asking why people would throw down blankets to cover the dead, but not come down to do it themselves. C was very agitated last night, now working out her instagram message.

I was reminded how safe we are in this apartment. I retweeted a clip from the stadium and people thought I was there. I can't bear this latest fad to declare yourself safe in a Nepal earthquake. It's an extension of the daily TV news: disasters in three places -- thank god it wasn't me. Now amplified by projecting personal insecurity onto people you know where the disasters happen. Maybe it's human compassion, a sentiment not to be underrated. But I fear that this sentimentality will be exploited by the powers to escalate their controls over society, not least against the North Africans.

The fact is that the French killed 1 mn people in the Algerian war of independence, the second genocide they got away with (the other being Vichy). They have now made themselves the US' closest ally in bombing North Africa and the Middle East, invading Mali, Central African Republic etc. In radio discussions here no-one ever questions their right to do this. They might ask how much it all costs. Western Europe has been neighbour to wars and revolutions in the East and in the Mediterranean for several decades, some instigated by them and the Americans. They have been insulated from the consequences so far. No longer, with this war at home, the refugee crisis and Putin. Not going to save the euro, is it? In addition the French have been militantly anti-religious, banning the veil in public etc. There are up to 2 mn Algerians in France, being harrassed daily by the cops in the suburbs, targeted for racist attacks in the South by the National Front (now bidding for majority power). France is the most depressed country in Europe (30%, Britain second); its economy and politics are stagnant, going down.

I see some hope that this conflict (which has only just begun) will lead to political change within France and with its neighbours. But more likely there will be a security crackdown, as after 9/11, and people will acquiesce in another notch towards fascism. These messages of sympathy to people of your own kind have an echo in a Guardian headline today: Secular land that has lost so many to radical Islam, in other words us vs them, no mention of how many muslims have been killed by the French in their murderous colonial and postcolonial campagins or of how hard it is to be a muslim youth in contemporary France -- unemployed, harrassed by police, demonised as threatening aliens. Well it's going to get worse, but eventually perhaps something other than a delusive politics of evasion will come out of it.

Sophie describes this as cynical. She told me as she went out for yoga, don't be cynical in your replies. So maybe writing all this to you will reduce the chance of being cynical with others. I call it realism. You have to see the world as it is, look it in the eye, and still find room for hope. I do have hope for a better world and expect to write towards that end, but not without much more conflict than this. I care about you and Constance, especially her, entering this world as a teen with none of the advantages we had. I have to find a way of opening her eyes without depressing her. And yours perhaps.

and theres always one time pad encryption. I don't think they've built a computer that can crack that yet.

Nope. I remember my late father talking about one time pads, he was a cipher operator in the Royal Corps of Signals in WWII.

The easiest form of 'one time pad' is a book. You both have a copy, then correspond by page number, line number and word number.

There are over 1000 books in the house, and that is just the paper versions. Many thousands if you count Kindle versions. Best of luck in trying to find out which one it is.

Keith Hart just posted this on FB

I was reminded how safe we are in this apartment. I retweeted a clip from the stadium and people thought I was there. I can't bear this latest fad to declare yourself safe in a Nepal earthquake. It's an extension of the daily TV news: disasters in three places -- thank god it wasn't me. Now amplified by projecting personal insecurity onto people you know where the disasters happen. Maybe it's human compassion, a sentiment not to be underrated. But I fear that this sentimentality will be exploited by the powers to escalate their controls over society, not least against the North Africans.

I think he answers his own question here. It is human compassion. And yes, of course there is the fear that this will be used to ratchet up the fear and division. Yes, the fight continues against the actions of the US and French and British and other governments. But it is possible to do both - to express solidarity with those in Paris and with those in Syria, Iraq, etc. Doing one doesn't mean you don't do the other.

Even the use of the French flag today is not some sign of European or white supremacism. Generally, the motivation will be way simpler than that - just a sign of solidarity, using a symbol that is to hand, but not an exclusive one, not 'we show solidarity with the French and not North Africans or Syrians or Iraqis'. Not necessarily. Some politicians may do that. But most people are not politicians. Their motivations are simpler and better. They have seen something happening to people like them (not as in European, but as in people living lives like their lives) and yes, that is no doubt one reason why the feeling is stronger - they (we) can imagine themselves in their place. And again, the reason - at root, human compassion.

All this intellectual stuff about French flag profile pics - at least the second strand of the thread where we've allowed it to become all about one poster - overlooks the fact that you only have to press a button, right there for all, in order to have FB apply it for you.

On an FB note I woke up this morning to the FB notification that various friends of mine - I used to live in Paris - had been declared safe. Weird but I'm not going to criticise the mechanism as someone did above.

I think he answers his own question here. It is human compassion. And yes, of course there is the fear that this will be used to ratchet up the fear and division. Yes, the fight continues against the actions of the US and French and British and other governments. But it is possible to do both - to express solidarity with those in Paris and with those in Syria, Iraq, etc. Doing one doesn't mean you don't do the other.

Even the use of the French flag today is not some sign of European or white supremacism. Generally, the motivation will be way simpler than that - just a sign of solidarity, using a symbol that is to hand, but not an exclusive one, not 'we show solidarity with the French and not North Africans or Syrians or Iraqis'. Not necessarily. Some politicians may do that. But most people are not politicians. Their motivations are simpler and better.
or at least those of the people who agree with us are purer and simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom