Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC are probably waiting for 100% confirmation before announcing.

Hollande said he knew who did it but didn't announce names. Simple assumption or already been confirmed?

Apparently military folk being sent in - I wonder how quickly they can put in place a plan to make an assault on the concert hall.

Is it true that these attacks have the dual aim of killing enemies and causing a backlash which drives other innocent but persecuted people into the arms of IS? And if this is blindingly obvious, why do so many play into the second aim?

And officially closing the borders will mean lots of nasty shit for people trying to cross them. Particularly inconveniently Muslim people

I think its been fairly clear that France has been hosting some very active islamist cells for a long time. There are many Arabic speakers from north Africa which makes connections to the ME far easier than say for UK Bangladeshi or Pakisatani jihadis who I've heard get a harder time and may be more on the perifery of current events

I think its been fairly clear that France has been hosting some very active islamist cells for a long time. There are many Arabic speakers from north Africa which makes connections to the ME far easier than say for UK Bangladeshi or Pakisatani jihadis who I've heard get a harder time and may be more on the perifery of current events

Much easier to get guns there as well, a reporter just said. Not that she was a mate.

Aljazeera reporting a total of 4 separate attacks: Cambodian resto, stade de France, bataclan and rue de charon.

Schengen was pretty ill as it was, this might well finish it off?

Perhaps this discussion should be on another thread, but I was more thinking that this will strengthen it - "ever closer union" was always going to lead to a point where the member states had to decide whether or not to actually amalgamate. The refugee crisis by itself (but supported by the attacks that France and other EU states have seen over the past few years) suggests that we are at that point now. (edit) States like France and Germany can, after all, no longer leave

Perhaps this discussion should be on another thread, but I was more thinking that this will strengthen it - "ever closer union" was always going to lead to a point where the member states had to decide whether or not to actually amalgamate or not. The refugee crisis by itself (but supported by the attacks that France and other EU states have seen over the past few years) suggests that we are at that point now.
Yes, probably for another place/time, but it's been obvious that states have been looking to close free movement...this gives them the opportunity.

Perhaps this discussion should be on another thread, but I was more thinking that this will strengthen it - "ever closer union" was always going to lead to a point where the member states had to decide whether or not to actually amalgamate or not. The refugee crisis by itself (but supported by the attacks that France and other EU states have seen over the past few years) suggests that we are at that point now.
People have been predicting a 'fortress Europe' for many years now. Full-on, with gunboats patrolling it. It does feel like we may be at a tipping point at the moment - walls going up, etc. This can only fuel that. :(

Yeah, worth starting a Future of Schengen thread. I see your point but don't agree, and this doesn't seem to be the place to be talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom