Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

Ignoring the laboured 'jokes' in this piece, it makes a good point at the end about any incoming manager at United and their top priority:

So what comes next? For three years, United have been driven by the logic of the theme park but at some point, very soon, even the nostalgists must surely accept that there is need for a change of leadership. After all, however much the punters may love Mickey Mouse, nobody expects him to run Disneyland.

This is where the true nature of the club will be revealed. Are they even about winning football matches and trophies any more? Or has the business of content production taken over? Because whoever takes over, whenever that transfer of power happens – and there was no sign before Sunday it was imminent – the new manager will have to deal with the problem of Ronaldo. Perhaps there is a way he can be used as a weapon to devastate lesser sides, or as a last-throw-of-the-dice substitute in bigger games, but he has no place as a guaranteed starter against high-class opponents.

But can Manchester United heritage industries face the prospect of losing two of its biggest stars?

Feels a bit like kicking a puppy at the moment, but thinking back to Solskjaer's post match interview yesterday, there was confirmation that he's trapped in a failed vision. When asked why he was trying to press Liverpool he said something like 'the fans want to come here and see us on the front foot'. Maybe, but it's your job to put a team out to do well against Liverpool, not hide behind what the fans want.

To be honest, kieth and Ole do share a look of quiet desperation. Kieth's critical support for johnson's covid strategy also was mirrored by the support Harry Maguire offered to Mo Salah yesterday.
the final nail in solskjaer's coffin will be a knighthood for services to football.

Talk of Conte being 'interested', without a quote from 'those close to him', 'his mum' etc. Perhaps more telling, that players are semi-publicly questioning his coaching skills:

I'd have previously said he'd have the rest of the season, if they could get to something like top 4, but my spidey senses are suggesting he's 2 losses away from the drop now. AKA 2 games away from the drop.

Talk of Conte being 'interested', without a quote from 'those close to him', 'his mum' etc. Perhaps more telling, that players are semi-publicly questioning his coaching skills:

I'd have previously said he'd have the rest of the season, if they could get to something like top 4, but my spidey senses are suggesting he's 2 losses away from the drop now. AKA 2 games away from the drop.

Doesn't it go Spurs (who beat you 6-1 last October?), Atalanta away, Man City? Then Villareal, Chelsea and Arsenal in the mix.

They sacked Mourinho with a load of 'easier' games coming up and Solskjaer started off with a blinding run against mediocrity - and became the Messiah very quickly. Could history repeat itself and he's sacked after Chelsea (or Arsenal)?

Be interesting to see how much legs the Conte story has. His tactical ability and desire to win is renowned but he comes at a cost in terms of his quite ruthless man management which would upset many at United and what would be a fractious relationship with the board over new signings . He could well waffle enough about agreeing with ‘United’s legacy’ however he’d forge the team in his identity . He likes his own philosophy and his own playground and doesn’t suffer fools gladly . In terms of who is out there to turn United into a team that might win something he’s the best candidate by far but the ride , whist being spectacular would be rough.

Doesn't it go Spurs (who beat you 6-1 last October?), Atalanta away, Man City? Then Villareal, Chelsea and Arsenal in the mix.

They sacked Mourinho with a load of 'easier' games coming up and Solskjaer started off with a blinding run against mediocrity - and became the Messiah very quickly. Could history repeat itself and he's sacked after Chelsea (or Arsenal)?
Yep, with Watford somewhere in the middle.

Be interesting to see how much legs the Conte story has. His tactical ability and desire to win is renowned but he comes at a cost in terms of his quite ruthless man management which would upset many at United and what would be a fractious relationship with the board over new signings . He could well waffle enough about agreeing with ‘United’s legacy’ however he’d forge the team in his identity . He likes his own philosophy and his own playground and doesn’t suffer fools gladly . In terms of who is out there to turn United into a team that might win something he’s the best candidate by far but the ride , whist being spectacular would be rough.

He's the perfect man. They need someone to shake a few egos, tell it straight. Make them come begging to play in the shirt.

They are lucky he's available.

I don't think this has been posted, astounding stats.

Tackles won 61 Premier League Rank 20th (bottom)
Errors leading to shots 8 Premier League Rank =20th (equal bottom)
Clean Sheets 1 Premier League Rank =18th
Goals Conceded 15 Premier League Rank =16th

I think their running stats are really low too but then they do have Ronaldo.

Hands on hips/vague 'nothing to do with me' wave 116. Premier League Rank 1st.

I don't think this has been posted, astounding stats.

Tackles won 61 Premier League Rank 20th (bottom)
Errors leading to shots 8 Premier League Rank =20th (equal bottom)
Clean Sheets 1 Premier League Rank =18th
Goals Conceded 15 Premier League Rank =16th

I think their running stats are really low too but then they do have Ronaldo.

Hands on hips/vague 'nothing to do with me' wave 116. Premier League Rank 1st.
You can see why I want him to stay

They've got the best part of a week to train and possibly revert back to what they are best at ie counter attack. The next three games are against a fairly toothless if fairly well organised Spurs with a draw or win possible, followed by a must don't get beat game at Atlanta that puts them in a good position to qualify from the CL. Then the City game where tbh City recently haven't had the best results in a game that often is more about the occasion than the game itself. and any result than a tonking will be acceptable. Possible for Ole to emerge from these fixtures behind the wheel?

I've been wondering what "the Rest" in the OP is: promotion from the Championship for next year?
If it meant booting the glazers out, I'd be happy with a relegation to League 2. In fact, ancient as I am, I think the year I went to most games ever was when they were in the old division 2 (74-5?). Tommy Docherty - nostalgia mode - 'attack, attack, attack!'. Nowadays, 'press, stay still, doh!'

tldr? Jumpers for goalposts.

Back
Top Bottom