Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

From that account he sounds like an absolute tosser tbh. Nevin's experience with the cocteau twins is a tad more classy that Marcus's night(s) out in Belfast
I always knew Nevin was a man of taste but he's gone up in my estimation for liking the Cocteaus.

It's a shame Rashford has been acting like such a douche, because I had a lot of time for him over the free school meals thing. I live in the area where the mural is and I remember the outpouring of support when it got graffitied and loads of people putting stickers and messages on it. I'm not even a United fan and even I did it. I like seeing his giant face looking down on me when I do my shopping. But the goodwill towards him won't last. One thing about Ferguson's team was that they were a team, they had each other's backs, the Beckham fallout after the World Cup being an example. This United squad are the opposite. And Ronaldo's weird fanboys seemed to not understand that it's ten Hag's job to pick the team, not Ronaldo's.

Ronaldo is a prize twat but he is the greatest player of all time and is still banging in hat tricks so if ten Hag couldn't manage his ego then that's absurd. Should have sacked the manager not your best player.

Ronaldo is a prize twat but he is the greatest player of all time and is still banging in hat tricks so if ten Hag couldn't manage his ego then that's absurd. Should have sacked the manager not your best player.
Nah. It was a panicked buy and always going to be a poisoned chalice for the manager. In buying him they ensured everything had to be about him, the way the team played, the wage bill, leaving the manager unable to criticise him without it leading to the inevitable departure. And whilst he got a decent return in his first season - 18 out of 30 in the Prem - it wasn't enough to justify all that effort with a fading star. What was really wrong was United's hierarchy and ownership and the lack of an actual strategy for success. Also, he's a prize twat (and worse).

He's right up there as the best player ever, certainly in the top 2 or 3, but that doesn't mean it's always a good idea to buy him.

Edit: another factor was Ten Haag inherited Ronaldo, From memory, things had already started to go pearshaped with Ragnick's notion that Ronaldo might have to do a bit of running. Ah, Ralf Ragnick, another spectacular appointment...

Last edited:
I always knew Nevin was a man of taste but he's gone up in my estimation for liking the Cocteaus.
He has excellent musical taste. Part 1 of his autobiography has some great tales of him bunking off to gigs and sleeping on railway station benches before matches.

Now that's not something you'd expect from your average PL footballer!

(On topic, I like the fact that de Gea is a metalhead.)

Nah. It was a panicked buy and always going to be a poisoned chalice for the manager. In buying him they ensured everything had to be about him, the way the team played, the wage bill, leaving the manager unable to criticise him without it leading to the inevitable departure. And whilst he got a decent return in his first season - 18 out of 30 in the Prem - it wasn't enough to justify all that effort with a fading star. What was really wrong was United's hierarchy and ownership and the lack of an actual strategy for success. Also, he's a prize twat (and worse).

He's right up there as the best player ever, certainly in the top 2 or 3, but that doesn't mean it's always a good idea to buy him.

Edit: another factor was Ten Haag inherited Ronaldo, From memory, things had already started to go pearshaped with Ragnick's notion that Ronaldo might have to do a bit of running. Ah, Ralf Ragnick, another spectacular appointment...
It was a terrible idea for Manyoo to buy Ronaldo, for all the reasons you've said. It helped to set your club back several seasons, and from an already dire (by previous standards) situation.

'Failsworth/ Oldham' Jimbo, probably the world's scruffiest bllionaire, is apparently trying to address the mess left by the complacency of the previous regime, but he has to overcome, while still being answerable to the Glazers, the kind of gullible fan-placating, decision making that led to appointing Ole, whose only record in England was relegating Cardiff.

I doubt he's there for the long term, as he's dealing with people who appear to have mistakenly thought that the one-man dictatorship that United were under Ferguson could provide a recipe for ongoing success, and are happy with consistent top four qualification., thus bringing in the money that keeps the whole racket going.

United, previous to the PL era where money became the decisive factor, have mostly been a frequently good cup-winning side. It also appears to be your future, unless Pickman's model's predictions of a 2025 world war come true, and then all bets are off. At the moment my by bet is with Pickman's.

Last edited:
If you overcome Coventry tomorrow, I half expect your pretty dire, if astronomically expensive, team to beat us in the final, if only because things rarely happen twice.

He isn’t the greatest player of all time, he’s well up there but by no means is he the greatest. He’s a product of the modern - stat padding - game. Haaland’s the same, albeit not as good a footballer.

Also Ronaldo was causing chaos at the club and getting rid of him was one of Ten-Hag’s best achievements.

Fucked him off and reclaimed a lotta respect. Same with getting rid of that little wanker J-Lings… ‘J-Lings’ tho :facepalm::D:rolleyes: Wanker.

I've been reading some of the older posts and wow, did not know that about Matic wanting to spend fine money on a party. Read the room, bellend.

Also, Ronaldo is banging in hat tricks in the Saudi league, which is kind of a world away from La Liga or the Serie A. He's not exactly got much competition. Meanwhile, Lingard is in South Korea and failing to set the world alight. I know he has a lot of personal shit going on but wasn't he part of the whole toxic dressing room culture at United?

Nope, he's the greatest player ever. Any other suggestions? Messi was a one club, one league great.
By the by, why do you think Ten Haag got rid? Don't you think he'd have kept him if he'd been playing well and making a positive contribution to the team/club?

In all seriousness I think Modric is better than Ronaldo.

Without Wax-Head Madrid still win all those trophies circa: 2009 - 2018. Without Modric, nah.

Modric doesn’t play football, he subjugates it.

Messi
Pele
Maradona
Cruyff
Di Stefano
Puskas
Charlton
Beckenbauer
Dalglish
Best
Ronaldo Nazario
Zidane
Platini

etc

Messi played in one league for almost his entire career. Then failed when he tried another one. Ronaldo played everywhere and won everything. Again and again.

a bloke i worked with, who was most wise, every time i said any player was the greatest, would say "is he any good in goal?".
if you are the greatest player ever, surely you should be able to play any position on the pitch. i can't remember seeing any compilations of great ronaldo tackles.

a bloke i worked with, who was most wise, every time i said any player was the greatest, would say "is he any good in goal?".
if you are the greatest player ever, surely you should be able to play any position on the pitch. i can't remember seeing any compilations of great ronaldo tackles.

O'Shea was pretty decent in goal for the few minutes he was required that time.

He didn't really need to tackle did he? The sheer number of goals was enough. There must a compilation of his dives somewhere though, which in football is an art form in itself.

ronaldowink030706_228x173.jpg

how can you be the best player if you can't tackle?

He probably can tackle. He's a forward so no, that's not why he's in the team really. I agree, I can't remember any spectacular goal saving tackles. I can certainly remember him at Old Trafford a few times just tormenting others trying to tackle him before he bangs it in.

how can you be the best player if you can't tackle?
I mean they had a similar thing with Messi didn't they, you get light duty on tracking back, whatever else because we want you to have full energy to do your magic with the ball when you do get it. At a certain point its optimising your best output rather than expecting the same of everyone. Some goalkeepers are fantastic free kick takers but it would lead to a rather sketchy position if they took all of them.

I mean they had a similar thing with Messi didn't they, you get light duty on tracking back, whatever else because we want you to have full energy to do your magic with the ball when you do get it. At a certain point its optimising your best output rather than expecting the same of everyone. Some goalkeepers are fantastic free kick takers but it would lead to a rather sketchy position if they took all of them.

It's a pretty silly argument alright. You might as well question why someone like Van Dijk isn't regularly beating three defenders and curling it into the top corner like Ronaldo does. That's not his job. His job is to keep things safe at the back.

It's a pretty silly argument alright. You might as well question why someone like Van Dijk isn't regularly beating three defenders and curling it into the top corner like Ronaldo does. That's not his job. His job is to keep things safe at the back.
Does make me remember the outliers, like that goalkeeper in I think Paraguay? Or Steve Bruce holding the record for the most goals scored by a defender in a single Premier League season with 19 goals. Bonkers numbers now I would be happy if our striker got that many lol

what is silly is claiming someone is the best footballer in the world, only assessing them on a fraction of what makes the game.
Well yeh its hard for eg a defender or goalkeeper to particularly stand out stats wise unless the rest of the team fails in the idea of keeping the ball so get a high shots faced or high saved required. Best team in the world could get no shots and make Jim the kit man look amazing stats wise with all his clean sheets while he sat on a deck chair and smoked a pipe or went to play false 9 for extra players. Already seeing goalkeepers way up the pitch like acting like a sweeper/libero.
Look at Joe Hart once he left City, impressive record until he left the club and the defense he had was less than ideal. Then it all fell down.

Back
Top Bottom