Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

First time I've watched United in a very long time. Looks like I chose a good one. The goalkeeper needs to go, nowhere near the quality you'd expect at the club but there's a couple of decent players there (Garnarncho and Fernandes). Rashford looks like his fame has gone to head a bit, having tantrums when the ball wasn't played to him etc. They're not passing it to you because you're not very good Marcus.

I hope they give ten Hag a bit more time and let him clear out of some the deadwood there.

What an impact from Ratcliffe…
In a way a typical performance at the minute - you just don’t know what you’re going to get from any of them.

People forget Ten Hag turned up and finished 3rd last season and won a cup. And we’re still above Newcastle, Chelsea amongst others with managers who were the second coming and have spent a fortune. Getting rid of the manager would be madness - he’s not the problem. Let’s hope Ratcliffe and co get the diabolical transfer strategy in shape.

People forget Ten Hag turned up and finished 3rd last season and won a cup. And we’re still above Newcastle, Chelsea amongst others with managers who were the second coming and have spent a fortune. Getting rid of the manager would be madness - he’s not the problem. Let’s hope Ratcliffe and co get the diabolical transfer strategy in shape.
Agree with that, in the sense that even with some adults in charge it's going to be a long job getting the club anywhere near. Ten Hag is at the point where he'd be sacked in normal circumstances and he doesn't seem to have a clear philosophy, though as you say, no obvious point in sacking him. Only thing is when things get so bad, it's fairly rare that the manager who oversaw the continuing shitshow is the one who brings it back. Suspect he'll be gone at or before the end of the end of the season and an overseas bod in.

What an impact from Ratcliffe…
In a way a typical performance at the minute - you just don’t know what you’re going to get from any of them.

Ratcliffe took over the biggest team in cycling and since then they have bombed and are now years behind the top ranked team... UAE Team Emirates :D

Agree with that, in the sense that even with some adults in charge it's going to be a long job getting the club anywhere near. Ten Hag is at the point where he'd be sacked in normal circumstances and he doesn't seem to have a clear philosophy, though as you say, no obvious point in sacking him. Only thing is when things get so bad, it's fairly rare that the manager who oversaw the continuing shitshow is the one who brings it back. Suspect he'll be gone at or before the end of the end of the season and an overseas bod in.
I don’t disagree. Hard to see why it’s been so all over the shop this year after a positive start last year. There have been a lot of injuries but the 1st half yesterday was far worse than it should have been considering the players still available.
The maddest thing is we’re still 7th.

Ally McCoist really is a dreadful commentator. Even worse than Dion Dublin in stating the obvious.

My favourite bit of Dion Dublin commentary was when I was listening to Man City-Liverpool on the radio and he was going on about how what both teams were lacking was a physical presence who could hold the ball up up front - basically that in his view what they needed wasn't Sergio Aguero or Mohamed Salah, it was Dion Dublin. :D

Ten Hag truly is a terrible man/ego manager. Both Ronaldo and Sancho are world class. And both gone. Ronaldo setting records in his new league and Sancho was a 50 goal a season scorer before he came under ten Hag's management. They're both utter twats. But it's a business. You need goals.

Ronaldo scoring bucketloads in a retirement home of a league, and Sancho has barely scored 50 in his entire career let alone per season.

Ten Hag is a lousy man manager and completely out of his depth though, I'll give you that.

Ronaldo is now playing in a pub league. The manager needs to be in charge. Sancho had plenty of chances and never delivered. He’s also a crap trainer according to multiple reports including England camp. Ten Hag did the right thing.

Ronaldo is now playing in a pub league. The manager needs to be in charge. Sancho had plenty of chances and never delivered. He’s also a crap trainer according to multiple reports including England camp. Ten Hag did the right thing.
Yes, I don't think Ten Hag is going to succeed at United, though we'll get a better sense now he gas a few players back. But absolutely right on those two.

First time I've watched United in a very long time. Looks like I chose a good one. The goalkeeper needs to go, nowhere near the quality you'd expect at the club but there's a couple of decent players there (Garnarncho and Fernandes). Rashford looks like his fame has gone to head a bit, having tantrums when the ball wasn't played to him etc. They're not passing it to you because you're not very good Marcus.

Sancho had plenty of chances and never delivered. He’s also a crap trainer according to multiple reports including England camp. Ten Hag did the right thing.

More on the culpability of Onana, Sancho, Rashford and of course, Pogba, in this analysis:

"Recruiting has-beens, missing out on world-class stars of the future, as well as a lack of identity and clear game plan have all contributed to many years of underperformance ..."

Why Man United’s midfield chaos began in the days of Alex Ferguson

And they also got rid of the greatest player of all time, because the manager couldn't manage him. I know it's the Saudi league (it's actually not that bad) but like every other league he's played in, he's crushing every record there.

And they also got rid of the greatest player of all time, because the manager couldn't manage him. I know it's the Saudi league (it's actually not that bad) but like every other league he's played in, he's crushing every record there.
Shouldn't have bought him back. The only way it works is with the team set up to allow him to score. No manager could put up with that or his tantrums.

Shouldn't have bought him back. The only way it works is with the team set up to allow him to score. No manager could put up with that or his tantrums.

Yeh they should. When they're that good. He's proving useless at managing the egos of his superstars. Fergie was a master of it. This guy is definitely not.

Yeh they should. When they're that good. He's proving useless at managing the egos of his superstars. Fergie was a master of it. This guy is definitely not.
Probably true about Ferguson v TH, but Ronaldo at his age was never a good idea. It isn't just about how many he scores, it's the restrictions he puts on the team. It was telling that City didn't buy him.

What superstars do we actually have...?
Ronaldo was always intent on going to Saudi anyway despite that awful Piers Morgan interview..

Well Ronaldo is an utter dick but is absolutely the greatest player I've ever seen play in person. They could have had a transition period, let CR score his 25 goals while rebuilding around him.

Well Ronaldo is an utter dick but is absolutely the greatest player I've ever seen play in person. They could have had a transition period, let CR score his 25 goals while rebuilding around him.
Worth remembering that while he got 18 goals in 30 league games 2021-22, he only got 1 in 10 the following year (though admittedly' some of those were as sub). And the set up was pretty much 'you stand there in front of goal Mr Ronaldo and we'll run round and pass it to you'.

I'll say one thing for Man Utd, as a neutral, since Ferguson has left they're an interesting conundrum to folllow. The only question being will they take as long as Liverpool did to get their shit back together..

Back
Top Bottom