Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

A Fergie esque win to paper over the cracks. Maguire to McTominay for the winner... Desparate times. But hey good to enjoy the moment.
Was weird as anything, barely saw Mount at all yet again, kept seeing Maguire popping up where I thought Mount should be. Also my stream worked absolutely perfectly the entire match until 91mins in then it glitched its way through both goals while I tried to reload pages.

Bobby Charlton, RIP. :( Always referred to as a genuinely decent bloke. That always came through in his interviews, nothing flash about him. Could play a bit as well. Given that he got his goals from midfield, sort of, he's well up there with the best.

Seems poignant that I started this thread off noting Denis Law had got dementia.

As an extra layer my Mum, who was a Red, always said Bobby Charlton was the same age as her. He had dementia and so did she. :(

No idea how tonight will end, suspect they might win, but this already feels like another wasted season. I keep coming back to the ownership, which has now moved into the farce stage. I mean, the manager and team should be able to, like y'know, still play football when the club is owned by incompetent scummers but, it's not really about that. It's a corporate failure to put in place the conditions and structures that would allow the team to thrive. We are nearly at the point where United move on to being called a 'sleeping giant' or somesuch. No expectations by anyone that they will succeed.

I fear that's already happened... Being born in the 80s I have to remind myself the kids now can barely remember us winning anything let alone dominating. We're like Liverpool were in the 00s.

Anyway. Made up for Maguire and especially Onana. Enjoyed his interview saying he was just doing his job and matter of factly saying we should be playing better and winning these games anyway. Too right.

I fear that's already happened... Being born in the 80s I have to remind myself the kids now can barely remember us winning anything let alone dominating. We're like Liverpool were in the 00s.

Anyway. Made up for Maguire and especially Onana. Enjoyed his interview saying he was just doing his job and matter of factly saying we should be playing better and winning these games anyway. Too right.
Yeah, the way Maguire has been treated has been really shitty.

the Chelsea result was worse but understand you may not want to post on your team's thread ;)

telling that Chelsea and United are in the shit and both teams are being 'run' appallingly by clueless people at the top. I have no time for City's owners but at least, like Spurs, Arsenal, they seem to keep out of the football and just put the money in to get the right structure. ETH needs to start taking some blame, with the players, but clearly the whole club is a mess under the Glazers and hard to see it changing.

the Chelsea result was worse but understand you may not want to post on your team's thread ;)

telling that Chelsea and United are in the shit and both teams are being 'run' appallingly by clueless people at the top. I have no time for City's owners but at least, like Spurs, Arsenal, they seem to keep out of the football and just put the money in to get the right structure. ETH needs to start taking some blame, with the players, but clearly the whole club is a mess under the Glazers and hard to see it changing.
This is the first thing I've seen speculating about ten Haag losing his job (though, to be honest, I don't read much football journalism).

As it says, the owners are not likely to sack him given the state of the club, but it's getting into the territory where more trigger happy owners might start at least glancing towards the EJECT button. It's also getting the 'feel' of the late Solskjaer and Ragnick periods. 'Hapless' managerial interviews after each loss and a team that doesn't seem that motivated.

Edit: and of course individual players in difficult positions: Sancho, Antony (of his own making of course), Maguire getting abuse everywhere, Martial should have gone a couple of years ago etc.

Plenty of talk now. Too many bad results. We could easily lose to Fulham and then Copenhagen and then he really could be in trouble. If you start losing the players - 300k per week and they can't be arsed but it is what it is - and you're losing matches, the death spiral can be hard to get out of. Nothing will change under the Glazers unless perhaps INEOS and Big Jim get the football bit in order. Such a mess. Makes me angry to think about why they've done to the club these leeches but best not to think about it.

sorry boys, that was dreadful. thinking back to the machine that SAF developed, this is shambolic. They couldnt be arsed by the look of it. ETH seems to be a decent manager- the whole structure looks to be rotten however. thanks for the win BTW

We haven't seen the details of the Ratcliffe deal yet, but it looks like an extraordinary arrangement for the Glazers. Something along the lines of he gives a billion or two and then takes on the football side, which probably means him taking the flack for both the football being shit and the continued existence of the Glazers. Who, meanwhile, carry on taking wheelbarrows of cash and drift even further away from having to face the fans. At some point over this interminable process, he was supposed to be taking a stake and then maybe taking a majority stake later. Is that still on the cards?

We haven't seen the details of the Ratcliffe deal yet, but it looks like an extraordinary arrangement for the Glazers. Something along the lines of he gives a billion or two and then takes on the football side, which probably means him taking the flack for both the football being shit and the continued existence of the Glazers. Who, meanwhile, carry on taking wheelbarrows of cash and drift even further away from having to face the fans. At some point over this interminable process, he was supposed to be taking a stake and then maybe taking a majority stake later. Is that still on the cards?
Eventually yes, but there's nothing (publicly) concrete other than 'in 5 years'.

'In 5 years we've got having a better kind of billionaire owning the club to look forward to. Might be able to drag us back to our former glories, having a chance at winning the League Cup'.

I think, and this is only my assumption, the Glazers are planning for the other bloke (I've forgot his name) to come back with a better (ie full) offer.
It's a hell of a gamble, as (and again it's an assumption) in five years Spurs would be a far more attractive purchase then anyone else in the league.

Lads, it's tottenham... Do me a favour. Just because they've had a half decent start (again). They lost at home to a Chelsea team in disarray!

Wilf be fair, we won that last year and these are not the glory days.

Ten Hag isn't the problem. It's the Glazers and the structure.

Lads, it's tottenham... Do me a favour. Just because they've had a half decent start (again). They lost at home to a Chelsea team in disarray!
Are you channelling Roy Keane? :hmm:

Ten Hag isn't the problem. It's the Glazers and the structure
Indeed. He's a good manager and he probably has the toughness to take charge of a dressing room. It's just that the squad is beginning to feel a bit like it has at various points in the last couple of years - flat, no fighting spirit. I thought he'd managed the trick last year and was combining a bit of mental toughness with a team ethic. Now, I dunno. But yeah, the rot starts at the top.

United are the form team in the prem over the last 5 games (4 wins). :eek: Not quite sure how that happened, surrounded as it was by several cup defeats.

Bobby Charlton's funeral today. Real sense of the passing of an era, particularly for anyone of my age (62). I saw him play a couple of times, after the European Cup win when they were on the slide. Same time, I've no real memory of him on the pitch, same as George Best who I must have seen a couple of times. As well as being a gent, he also embodied that idea of football being rooted in working class communities (regardless of how long it is since he actually lived in Ashington). Could play a bit as well.

This will be 5/6 wins in the league. World beating... ah, come on, give the other teams a go. ;)

Apparently the united fans are 'poverty chanting' (guardian feed). Cunts. Just about the only vile chanting you can get away with at football nowadays. :(

Back
Top Bottom