Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

It is a difficult situation for the clubs who employ players alleged to have done things like this - yes, they've got their "brand" to consider but they are at the end of the day his employers (in his case since he was a kid) and so do have a duty of care for him (as well as all the other children and young adults they exploit). He is not the only PL player going through something like this at the moment and I think its better that the clubs engage appropriately with them and any safeguarding issues, rather than just binning them out the door as if these young men are nothing to do with them.

The second one though is really difficult - I mean, what do you do with someone like Lee Hughes?
He’s 20! Not a child!

I wasn't saying he is a child, just that he has been with United since he was six. In terms of how his life has gone up to this point they bear a big share of responsibility for that and for him.
I’m uneasy with that. Your employer can’t be responsible for your moral compass.

When you are in the workplace maybe, but outside?

Either - I am not talking about responsibility for your actions, but responsibility for you (as in making sure you are ok, have the necessary support when you are ill or in crisis or facing something like this).

I’m uneasy with that. Your employer can’t be responsible for your moral compass.

They can be.

Youth footballers don't just train at football. They are trained in how to deal with the media, and have mentors to act as a moral compass for them as they spend so much of their time at the club. This includes general teaching of subjects they would normally learn in school, videod role plays of media interviews, lessons in how to use social media without putting a burden on the club and general behaviour issues with being in a wage that outstrips ordinary people and the way you work/interact/respect the society that you are in.

For the club not to have picked up on this before it's hit the press is a major failure in their duty of safeguarding from a young age.

He was arrested for kidnapping her/keeping her against her will a while back but she didn't want to press charges. So the club have known. But I agree it's not as easy as some suggest, there's still a duty of care and there's also the fact it's unlikely to be that easy to terminate contracts.

He was arrested for kidnapping her/keeping her against her will a while back but she didn't want to press charges. So the club have known. But I agree it's not as easy as some suggest, there's still a duty of care and there's also the fact it's unlikely to be that easy to terminate contracts.
I'm pretty sure it be very easy for Man U to terminate his contract if they so wish, but they'll be clinging to the hope that they can still realise a transfer value in their asset.

For only the second time in their Premier League history, Manchester United have failed to win back-to-back matches despite being ahead at half-time in both, having last done so in December 1998.

Surprising stat that

Can anyone recommend any longish interesting articles about United that they've seen anywhere recently?

Back
Top Bottom