Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man travels from London to Morecambe by bus in under 24 hours

I once took a circular journey around London on buses. It was during the gap between my A levels and Uni. I can’t remember much about it but it did start and finish in Orpington, I went anti clockwise and past the Dome and through the Blackwall tunnel. I remember waiting for a bus in Streatham near the end of the trip.

I must have used one of those all day bus tickets. No idea why I did it though.

I once took a circular journey around London on buses. It was during the gap between my A levels and Uni. I can’t remember much about it but it did start and finish in Orpington, I went anti clockwise and past the Dome and through the Blackwall tunnel. I remember waiting for a bus in Streatham near the end of the trip.

I must have used one of those all day bus tickets. No idea why I did it though.
because it's there

I once looked at the time from Brighton to Portsmouth on the 'Coastliner 700', and it was almost four & a half hours for a 50 mile journey, and thought - fuck that. :D

Just over an hour by car.

I used to get the National Express from Victoria Coach station to Scarborough. It takes a whopping 8 hours but was so cheap, I honestly didn’t care, I’d make myself a bento box and settle in. I also recommend the award winning busroute, The Coastliner, that goes Leeds -York - Scarborough- Whitby-Guisborough. When we’re boating we use the Rome2Rio website to plan travel to and from the boat, it’s great at obscure routes. Airport buses are often included in these routes, they tend to run for 24 hours a day and are dead handy.

Yeah its so different now, even have USB ports to charge up your phone and tablet, on many of these routes, Nat Express even has telly and films if you download their app.

I did a 27 hour bus to Prague once (in 1994!) but it included a couple of hours on the ferry. And no changes.
New Millennium Tours ? We did the Prague one and a longer one to Brno, around the same time . The Prague one was advertised as 10 days in Prague for about £120 ( 3 of the days were on a bus!)

I did a 27 hour bus to Prague once (in 1994!) but it included a couple of hours on the ferry. And no changes.

urgh.

Longest coach trip I did was from Bristol to Berlin, via ferry.

Going was OK I spose but on the way back I was sat in the back corner, under a speaker playing a French film a bit too loud to hear my walkman, my feet were hot and head was cold.

We did stop at services in Holland, fortunately.

Fuck long bus journeys.

New Millennium Tours ? We did the Prague one and a longer one to Brno, around the same time . The Prague one was advertised as 10 days in Prague for about £120 ( 3 of the days were on a bus!)
Fuck knows. I bummed along with a trip from the uni where my mum worked. My first serious drinking holiday.

I used to regularly get coaches to and from London and Coventry to Edinburgh when I was a nursing student, but my longest ever trip was Coventry-Perpignan in southern France as a teenager, which was about 26 hours.

The two worst were a trip returning from Edinburgh after a party so epic that I had to go to the toilet every 20 minutes to throw up; I looked so bad I was convinced someone was going to think I was shooting up in the loo and turf me off the bus somewhere random. Even worse than that was a London -Edinburgh overnight trip wedged next to a Spanish couple who kept trying to get heavily amorous every time they thought I was asleep. Longest night of my life.

I once did a coach trip from Boston ( not the Lincolnshire one) to San Francisco. Not direct either but down the East Coast across the bottom of the US and up through the Natiional parks. Took almost three weeks but that’s because most days were spent hiking in the wildernesses…Was with a bunch of hippies and was excellent. And pretty cheap too.

They still exist:

London to Belfast via the Stranraer to Larne ferry in the early 90s. It was absolute hell, my then boyfriend got shitfaced and almost thrown off the bus somewhere in Scotland for attempting to steal a sandwich from the on board refreshments. Never ever again! Long bus journeys are shit! I can sit on a train for days though, I really want to do the Indian -Pacific or The Ghan, but its about $5000 for four days.

Afternoon tea at the Midland looking out over the sea is fantastic - worth a trip there for that alone. We went in the off-season so the place was a bit dead, but it was a good day out nonetheless.
I've stayed there. It's interesting but the rooms are not that comfortable. Not forgetting Eric Gill had a hand in it 🙄

Morecambe is pretty cool tbf. Guess you've likely not spent much time there.
Au contraire. I was a Lancaster student 20 odd years ago - Wednesday nights at the Carleton nightclub, Saturday afternoons at Christie Park for the football, plus far too many day trips. It had a certain charm back then, can't say i'm too familiar with it now :D

Back
Top Bottom