Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man travels from London to Morecambe by bus in under 24 hours

Lots of peeps telling coach trip anecdotes...

Proving they totally missed the point and that they don't know the difference between a coach and a bus.

I've done the twenty four hour plus sleeper buses here (reclining seats made for people shorter than me), think I've told the story about the one that overheated crawling up and down the himalayan foothills between panzhihua and lijiang, driver opened radiator and got showered in scalding water poor sod, so he dropped his trousers right there in front of us all.

24 hours on public buses is not something I fancy. Especially as I used to regularly get London's slowest bus route from Russell Square to Putney and it could take upto 2 hours getting home (sometimes more if Chelsea were playing at home and it went on diversion).

think I've told the story about the one that overheated crawling up and down the himalayan foothills between panzhihua and lijiang, driver opened radiator and got showered in scalding water poor sod, so he dropped his trousers right there in front of us all.
By way of compensation?
I'd have preferred a free bus ticket but if that's all he was offering...

A coach is a type of bus.
Yes... But actually no.

You can use a coach as a bus but you shouldn't use buses as coaches.

I've worked with many many coach drivers (as part of the festival industry).
They really don't like being called bus drivers and will happily spend plenty of time explaining the difference to you... if you'll let them.

Yes... But actually no.

You can use a coach as a bus but you shouldn't use buses as coaches.

I've worked with many many coach drivers (as part of the festival industry).
They really don't like being called bus drivers and will happily spend plenty of time explaining the difference to you... if you'll let them.
Is this a bus or a coach?
expressway.jpg

Saul Goodman Well it might be used as a bus, but for me a real bus is the type of vehicle that is seldom used for long journeys- or at least it was seldom used until the advent of Megabus. That is certainly the spirit of the journey undertaken by the man in the BBC story.

All coaches can be buses. But not all buses can be coaches. You don't travel 200 miles on one of these. And if any long route is actually served in this country by this type of vehicle, blatantly a city bus, then the bus company owners should be put against the wall first thing tomorrow morning

maxresdefault.jpg

All

I did a 27 hour bus to Prague once (in 1994!) but it included a couple of hours on the ferry. And no changes.
I did that too. Easter 1992 with a couple of mates. Just because one of them was broke.

Saul Goodman Well it might be used as a bus, but for me a real bus is the type of vehicle that is seldom used for long journeys- or at least it was seldom used until the advent of Megabus. That is certainly the spirit of the journey undertaken by the man in the BBC story.

All coaches can be buses. But not all buses can be coaches. You don't travel 200 miles on one of these. Or if any such long route is actually served by this type of vehicle, a city bus, then the bus company owners should be put against the wall first thing tomorrow morning

maxresdefault.jpg

All
Our buses are posh :D

Sheffield to Rovinj (Croatia) on a coach. It was horrendously long, possibly 36 hrs, can't remember it was so painful. Remember passing through Trieste.

I took a bus from Adelaide to Alice Springs, late 80s iirc, 20 odd hours.
Air conditioning broke down about 12 hours in.
We stopped off at a roadhouse somewhere, barman's eyes lit up when we all piled in. "Can we have 40 pints of water please mate. Then we can talk beers and food"
Most people were in just underwear by the time we arrived, bags all locked away. Fucking miserable.

We’ve done plenty of nation wide coach journeys over the years. Our longest bus ride was from Rotherham to north Leeds on a double decker, full of the in-laws family to a wedding in the late 80s. The journey home with everyone blind drunk and arguing could have been Chris Rea’s inspiration for The Road to Hell.

Just as well I didn't post my "longest train ride for £1" anecdote; that would really have set your "off topic" alarm bells ringing...
Yeah just as well. I might have countered with my 6 flights for under a tenner anecdote which would have had the carbon police take over the thread.

Three day's, magic bus London to Athens.
Back in the early eighties, £26 open return for a year.
Used to change drivers while the bus was moving.
You didn't want to get thrown off in yugoslavia.
No bunks and no air con.
The orange pickers favourite.

I did a 27 hour bus to Prague once (in 1994!) but it included a couple of hours on the ferry. And no changes.
Yeah I've done the same length to Eastern Europe... The first 16 hours were ok, but after that it was hellish as tired and can't get comfortable / cramped for sleep

I love this quote from Mr Council Worker:
I started to lose grip on things on the Number 8 from Manchester to Bolton.

i did some mad & ludicrous bus rides when I visited Java, you could've taken the plane but you'd have missed out on the local action.
I recall a weird over night bus in Myanmar with the locals throwing up over the course of journey. I think it's because going on a bus it's unique event and they're not used to it.
The morning dawn coffee after we got off was bliss.

Back
Top Bottom