Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man travels from London to Morecambe by bus in under 24 hours

Yeah I've done the same length to Eastern Europe... The first 16 hours were ok, but after that it was hellish as tired and can't get comfortable / cramped for sleep
I shared my journey with 60-odd late teens. I was 28. At one point in the wee small hours one floppy haired pranny produced an acoustic guitar and I (quite out of character) explained how difficult it would be to pluck after I'd rammed it where I was going to ram it should I hear the merest note while I was trying to sleep.

The longest voluntary all-bus trip I’ve ever done was Heathrow to Tulse Hill. We landed on a surprisingly sunny and warm morning from a long haul flight and decided on the spot to bus it all the way home rather than taking the tube.

It took at least 3 buses, perhaps even 4. This was before smartphones and I can’t remember how we worked out the route. I suspect it can be done on just two bus routes, but our journey took us through various leafy suburbs that included many river views. Door to door it worked out just short of 3 hours, versus 1h 20m by tube, but it was worth it.

spend many a year in hounslow during my late teens and early twenties
so used to go clubbing and end up coming down early in the mornig catching the vomit comet of the N91 bus route on the way home

was better than kipping outside the national gallery till the tube started.

so can tell you their was a night bus from tulse hill to T Square

Last edited:
one of my former colleagues retired around the same time as the national (england) bus pass for senior citizens came in, so he celebrated retirement by going round england by bus going as close to the edges as was possible (this was before the post 2010 cuts, so probably easier then) - think it took him 2 - 3 weeks.

i did (and can't remember why now) on an urban thread a few years back work out how you could do the south circular by bus (think it would involve 10 - 12 separate buses and a couple of bits of walking) and have been threatening to invite urbanites to join me on this. life, work and lockdowns have meant this hasn't happened yet...

as regards the bus or coach debate - there are some legal differences in UK law, both in terms of vehicle standards (although both are subject to the same operator and driver licensing systems), and how you license running the service (a ' local bus' service where you commit to running at certain times and people can just get on and pay a fare is more regulated than an 'express service' where an operator can pretty much do what they like when they like.) and the drivers hours' rules are different for local bus and you don't have to do tachographs.

would have thought that most people would recognise the difference between the sort of thing that national distress use for long distance services and the sort of thing that (in london at least) is red and stops every few hundred yards. Although aware that in some parts of the world, having a different word for each is not a thing.

The first weekend of September would have been a good weekend to visit - they usually have a big vintage weekend festival with loads of fun events on - but it's been cancelled this year.
That is unfortunate. Morecambe could have been a lovely break for me and Mrs S. after the last two years.
Thanks for the info, maybe next year.

Google maps reckons it‘s 23 hours by bike (264 miles), that could be an interesting race...

My first taste of freedom was getting a Red Bus Rover at the age of 9 (25p, I think), and travelling the length and breadth of London with it. I did this fairly often, and only once nearly got stranded at the end of the day (resolved by a bit of a walk to a bus route that didn't finish in the early evening).

I did the London Country equivalent a few times, too, but given the Polo mint shape of that network, it was less rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom