Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

the usual "BANNED FROM THE BOOKFAIR" crowd immediately outside the door
The usual "BANNED FROM THE BOOKFAIR" crowd i.e. The SPGB and ICC didn't turn up. Though for reasons I've never understood the CWO who are more openly Bolshevik than the ICC were allowed to have a stall, as they were at the old bookfair.

The people immediately outside the door were from the ACG who were in fact banned from having a stall or their literature on other people's stalls. The ACG didn't exist when the last bookfair was held so can hardly be called the usual "BANNED FROM THE BOOKFAIR" crowd.

And the political stall out the front had old bookfair organisers on it, so again, definitely not the usual "BANNED FROM THE BOOKFAIR" crowd.

Due to the organisers vow of silence we can't be certain which other groups and individuals were banned but I find it hard to believe that AK, Active and PM Press were all absent from a big anarchist bookfair because they were a bit busy that day.

The usual "BANNED FROM THE BOOKFAIR" crowd i.e. The SPGB and ICC didn't turn up.
Jesus, sounds like this bookfair really wasn't the same if it didn't have the SPGB and ICC standing outside. I think the only time I've ever seen the ICC in the flesh was outside a bookfair.
And the political stall out the front had old bookfair organisers on it, so again, definitely not the usual "BANNED FROM THE BOOKFAIR" crowd.
Not that it really matters I suppose, but was this on the ACG stall, or was there a different one?

Who are the ICC and SPGB?
When I was a youth I wrote to the various groups listed in the back of the syndicalist Tintin pastiche, Breaking Free. The ones which wrote back were Class War (loads of free stuff - back issues, stickers, The Heavy Stuff, Unfinished Business); the ACF (an Organise!, some of those dayglo orange stickers); and the ICC (~quarter million closely typed words with no pictures across various position documents, manifestos, platforms and pamphlets, and NO STICKERS).

Make of that what you will.

When I was a youth I wrote to the various groups listed in the back of the syndicalist Tintin pastiche, Breaking Free. The ones which wrote back were Class War (loads of free stuff - back issues, stickers, The Heavy Stuff, Unfinished Business); the ACF (an Organise!, some of those dayglo orange stickers); and the ICC (~quarter million closely typed words with no pictures across various position documents, manifestos, platforms and pamphlets, and NO STICKERS).

This is you and I claim my five pounds. (From here.)

PICT0185.jpg

Hang on a second...

Did the Rebel City lot get a stall booked, have it advertised as part of the official bookfair material, then find their stall was un-booked? The bloody thing's been over for days now and I'm still no closer to understanding their bookings policy. :confused:
Rebel City came out in solidarity with the ACG.

I love that book.

It's a slippery slope. You start off as a callow youth writing to dubious political groups and you end up condemned to wandering Urban P&P. FOREVER. :(

I did something similar as a youth and got loads of cool shit from all sorts. The one that stood out though was the New Communist Party who turned up on my doorstep on New Years fucking day. I'm shocked they didn't bring a tank

I did something similar as a youth and got loads of cool shit from all sorts. The one that stood out though was the New Communist Party who turned up on my doorstep on New Years fucking day. I'm shocked they didn't bring a tank
Is that the lot embroiled in all sorts of shady shenanigans? :hmm:

Thinking about it, I reckon we've solved the mystery of why the CWO get to have a stall but the other leftcoms don't:

Is that the lot embroiled in all sorts of shady shenanigans? :hmm:
Ah yes, it was something I read in NFTB and/or Green Anarchist, as mentioned here:

...Featuring Operation Washington, the Anarchist Bookfair & rival Anarchist Heretics' Fair, Alternative Green, NCP, CPGB, Searchlight, Terry Liddle, Lady Athena McHugh and a cast of thousands!

Back
Top Bottom