Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liz Truss’s time is up

Nile Gardiner is a British conservative commentator. He is director of the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom at The Heritage Foundation, and was for a time an aide to former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. He is also a commentator on U.S. and British television; he is a frequent contributor to the Fox News network and to the London Daily Telegraph.[1] Gardiner is co-author with Stephen Thompson of the book, Margaret Thatcher on Leadership: Lessons for American Conservatives Today (Regnery 2013).
:D

329552051_497475165792680_246583608203816772_n.jpg

I don't know why people are finding Truss' comments so mind twisting. When Dorres was kicked out of the ERG WhatsApp group and the exchanges became public, this post from Marcus Fysh caught my eye:
Screenshot_20230206_104949_Samsung Internet.jpg
For the ERG loons the pay off from Brexit (and I don't want to start that debate again - many people voted for Brexit for many reasons) was to break with the EU model of capitalism so they could undertake radical supply side reform: cut taxes & slash regulations, with the unwavering belief that this will bring 'growth'. They were never happy with Johnson who, despite being the public face of Brexit was never really on board with this. Truss won the leadership by promising to do this from day one. Which she did. And the international markets said 'no', seeing it as the idealistically driven nonsense that it is. She was kicked out and replaced by Sunak, a man of the international markets.

The establishment that she's railing against is the western (specifically EU flavoured) international global capitalist system and the politicians, officials, the institutions that make it up and support it. What's left and right depends on where you're looking from and this system, which from everyone here's point of view is very much to the right is to the left of the headbangers she represents.

I don't know why people are finding Truss' comments so mind twisting. When Dorres was kicked out of the ERG WhatsApp group and the exchanges became public, this post from Marcus Fysh caught my eye:
View attachment 362196
For the ERG loons the pay off from Brexit (and I don't want to start that debate again - many people voted for Brexit for many reasons) was to break with the EU model of capitalism so they could undertake radical supply side reform: cut taxes & slash regulations, with the unwavering belief that this will bring 'growth'. They were never happy with Johnson who, despite being the public face of Brexit was never really on board with this. Truss won the leadership by promising to do this from day one. Which she did. And the international markets said 'no', seeing it as the idealistically driven nonsense that it is. She was kicked out and replaced by Sunak, a man of the international markets.

The establishment that she's railing against is the western (specifically EU flavoured) international global capitalist system and the politicians, officials, the institutions that make it up and support it. What's left and right depends on where you're looking from and this system, which from everyone here's point of view is very much to the right is to the left of the headbangers she represents.
I think that's a great stab at rationalising it, but it still doesn't really make sense. The international global capitalist system runs according to the dictates of what is good for capital. The ERG-type loons misunderstand this point if they think capitalist markets scuppering their plans are in any sense left-wing. They don't get what it is that capital needs from the state - stuff like healthy workers, functioning infrastructure, etc. Even regulations aren't necessarily anti-capital - harmonising regulations through institutions like the EU makes so-called frictionless trade possible, which is very good for capital.

She may as well have claimed that the ghost of Hayek made her do it, and that would have been much closer to the truth.

Then again even Hayek left a little room for there to be some kind of welfare safety net. And since the markets ultimately doomed Truss, Hayeks favourite forces actually turned on her.

I think that's a great stab at rationalising it, but it still doesn't really make sense. The international global capitalist system runs according to the dictates of what is good for capital. The ERG-type loons misunderstand this point if they think capitalist markets scuppering their plans are in any sense left-wing. They don't get what it is that capital needs from the state - stuff like healthy workers, functioning infrastructure, etc. Even regulations aren't necessarily anti-capital - harmonising regulations through institutions like the EU makes so-called frictionless trade possible, which is very good for capital.
Your critique of their position misses, from their point of view, one very important thing: they are right, they know they are right, and anyone who says otherwise is standing in the way of growth, obviously because they're some kind of lefty.

Capital isn't a monolithic block though, and while the stuff that you list has traditionally been seen as beneficial or even necessary to most capitalist interests, there has always been a significant strand which sees its interests being better served by cutting the state and regulation as much as possible.

That's the strand which Truss is seeking to represent.

What I don't think Truss and the tory membership that voted for her didn't get and the markets did. Is that UC is propping up a lot of key workers. From the comments at the bottom of the Internet they seem to think it's just the unemployed in receipt of government 'hand outs'..its not half of UC claiments are working

Then you get to this winter of Discontent. Inflationary pressures ARE causing real economic problems. You can argue the need to resist a nasty feedback loop of inflationary pay rises but to cut benefits to the already struggling and taxes to the well off was beyond tone deaf it was incendiary

From the Polling thread
LP maintaining 50%

Give it a couple of days for the Liz comeback bounce
Truss and her supporters seem to have forgotten about the democracy part. They seem to think it is their right to rule and enrich themselves and their mates while screwing over the working and middle-class voters. But there aren't enough people who would vote for Truss's team. So she and her acolytes are deluded. They are assuming that UK is like the USA.
I don't know what their plan is.

It will be interesting to see next week's polls and how people react. I'm guessing badly.

Back
Top Bottom