Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LGBT in schools vs religious parents

i think really children should just be told that " these people exist, they are just like us, just a bit different, respect them ", and generally, most of the time, thats what happens, and i dont think making people aware is really that bad.
Except that’s still defining ‘them’ as separate from ‘us’, not part of society’ when we should be saying that ‘they’ are not ‘just like us’, they ARE us.

i think really children should just be told that " these people exist, they are just like us, just a bit different, respect them ", and generally, most of the time, thats what happens, and i dont think making people aware is really that bad.
oh look the 'centrist dad ' approach, let me guess Seperate but Equal ...

The vast majority of the planet are religious people, rightly or wrongly.

About 65% are actively religious. Only 10% say they are atheists and the rest are either unsure or don't care about god/religion.

So yes. Atheists are by far the minority globally, which is unsurprising because at it's extreme, it's a supremely ignorant position.

About 65% are actively religious. Only 10% say they are atheists and the rest are either unsure or don't care about god/religion.

So yes. Atheists are by far the minority globally. which is unsurprising because at it's extreme, it's a supremely ignorant position.
And considering China, which is the most populous country on earth, religion is basically banned. You have to worship whoever is at the helm of the party, or simply the party itself. So there’s some forced atheism to account for.

And considering China, which is the most populous country on earth, religion is basically banned. You have to worship whoever is at the helm of the party, or simply the party itself. So there’s some forced atheism to account for.
This is not true; there's temples all over the shop and folk religious practices. They crack down hard on international links and the religious practices of restive minorities, but if it's not seen as threatening state power you can fill your incense burner.
Obviously could write an essay but that's about it.

The CPC can’t see them as a threat then. Unlike the Uygurs who have been rounded up and sent for re-education.
Out of interest, what religion are you?

None. Baptised in the CofE but didn't have any say in that. Mrs Spy is Sikh, so culturally more that than anything else. I'm not a believer in a personal god who judges you in an afterlife but leave space for the concept of a creating force which some might call "god".

Over 200 million Buddhist in China though.

Yeah there's other south-east Asian countries where communism might rule, but religion, especially Buddhism, is more than tolerated. Vietnam, Laos.

Buddhism has been around China for 2000 years. It's ingrained. The CPC attitude is about not wanting to piss off something of massive historical, cultural and intellectual effect.

The uyghurs are muslim. Nothing like the same numbers or historical impact.

Bit off topic mind.

This is not true; there's temples all over the shop and folk religious practices. They crack down hard on international links and the religious practices of restive minorities, but if it's not seen as threatening state power you can fill your incense burner.
Obviously could write an essay but that's about it.
Yeah fair enough. I was more thinking of the Uygurs who clearly are seen as a threat and then maybe confusing it with the party worship of North Korea.

None. Baptised in the CofE but didn't have any say in that. Mrs Spy is Sikh, so culturally more that than anything else. I'm not a believer in a personal god who judges you in an afterlife but leave space for the concept of a creating force which some might call "god".
I’m similar to you then. I’m not anti-religious but I am an atheist. I do object to characterising that as ‘ignorant’ though. I’m interested in the beliefs of others. I just don’t share those beliefs.

I’m similar to you then. I’m not anti-religious but I am an atheist. I do object to characterising that as ‘ignorant’ though. I’m interested in the beliefs of others. I just don’t share those beliefs.

Well if you believe the same as me, you're obviously not ignorant. You might even be a genius. However, there are many definitions of atheism. The one that says there is no god or gods, absolutely, is the ignorant one.

Well if you believe the same as me, you're obviously not ignorant. You might even be a genius. However, there are many definitions of atheism. The one that says there is no god or gods, absolutely, is the ignorant one.
Hang on. Having made a pronouncement about the ignorance of atheists, you now say there are many definitions? Which is it?

I want to know how ignorant I am.

:D

However, there are many definitions of atheism. The one that says there is no god or gods, absolutely, is the ignorant one.

Top trolling.

I suspect that most atheists, like me, characterise their position as an absence of belief. Atheism rooted in the original meaning of the word agnostic, defined by the man who coined the term, TH Huxley, as a method by which one 'does not believe anything without reason to believe it'.

I’m not a militant atheist who marches around telling everyone that there is no god. I respect others’ beliefs. Whilst privately thinking it’s a load of bollocks.

Of course you do need to provide a definition of 'god' before you can start. There doesn't seem to be an obvious one to me. But I'm a non-believer. Not my job to provide a definition of a concept I have no need for. ;)

So yes. Atheists are by far the minority globally, which is unsurprising because at it's extreme, it's a supremely ignorant position.
not really they just don't believe in one more God than rest of the planet though in the case of Hindus it's more like 5000001 God's

There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists.The others are silly made up nonsense. But not yours. Yours is real. Ricky Gervais

Back
Top Bottom