Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Legitimate criticism of Islam

Although I do respect your right to have an imaginary friend, Cheesy. I don't see why 'hoping for good things to happen to people' has to be prayed for to an imaginary being.

Is any of that bible stuff really necessary? If we all abided by one rule 'Don't be a cunt', the world would be a better place. We could even expand on that rule and have a bash at 'Try to be nice'.... One commandment, with an option of a second. Surely that's all we need?

Although I do respect your right to have an imaginary friend, Cheesy. I don't see why 'hoping for good things to happen to people' has to be prayed for to an imaginary being.

Is any of that bible stuff really necessary? If we all abided by one rule 'Don't be a cunt', the world would be a better place. We could even expand on that rule and have a bash at 'Try to be nice'.... One commandment, with an option of a second. Surely that's all we need?

i dont necessarily subscribe to religious beliefs :). But i do believe that the human power of 'good will' has an affect on others. The amount of times some athiest or agnostic pal of mine has asked me to pray for them....is countless!!! Prayer does work.

as for the Bible....i think if we all try and live by the basic values of Jesus Christ, we'd be better people.

i dont necessarily subscribe to religious beliefs :). But i do believe that the human power of 'good will' has an affect on others. The amount of times some athiest or agnostic pal of mine has asked me to pray for them....is countless!!! Prayer does work.

as for the Bible....i think if we all try and live by the basic values of Jesus Christ, we'd be better people.
I have no problem with anyone wishing good tidings on another person. It's a nice thing to do but that just falls into the 'try to be nice' option. What I don't understand is why you have to attribute your 'being nice' to how some guy who lived a couple of millennia ago may or may not have lived? Why not just live by the 'Don't be a cunt' rule, and attribute your 'not being a cunt' to the fact that you're not?

The. Call to pray can be annoying ,and, some Muslims want to fast during Ramadan when due to health problems they shouldn't.

I actually enjoy being in an Islamic country and hearing the call to prayer. It has a romantic feel. That said, I also enjoy the music of the Kings of Leon. Both are guilty pleasures, equally as meaningless as the other.

Article 18.
  • Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Declaration of human rights....

What do you think praying for people is going to achieve exactly? I don't get it. I was raised a Catholic myself. I was even made an altar boy to try to curb my questioning of the priests about how nuts and full of shit the bible was.

You might as well believe that the Lord of the Rings is based on actual events.

With respect if you dont get it and others do why do you feel the need to trivialise them?

"Try to be nice" ... the overarching message of Jesus was and is "love your neighbour as yourself" "the greatest of these is love"

"If I speak in the tonguesaof men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,bbut do not have love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 12..13

The overarching message of Mohammad, Buddha, Vishnu, was of love and prayer to God.

"prayer is the very soul and essence of religion, and therefore prayer must be the very core of the life of man." Ghandi

The fact that humans constantly ignore the message of love and use their religions to create hatred is indicative of their cuntishness....
IMO

I actually enjoy being in an Islamic country and hearing the call to prayer. It has a romantic feel. That said, I also enjoy the music of the Kings of Leon. Both are guilty pleasures, equally as meaningless as the other.
it's one thing to like the muzzein and quite another to like kol. you should be ashamed of yourself for the latter.

Bubbles, I'm sure you are aware that other quotes are available. ;)

Yup...I am.. but I'm not getting into a pro or anti God stance on a thread that's biased against religious belief.
I've put one out there and I'll leave it there as it is the greatest and most recent of them in terms of bible ... it's one quote I'd aspire to keep in my mind as a way to live.
That is all.

Last edited:
No but "love thy neighbour as thyself " is.

Well, it seems to have been successfully co-opted, despite predating Jesus by a couple of thousand years iirc.

Though according to Certain interpretations it's not possible to predate Jesus, so he could have just passed that on to the ancient Chinese, I suppose.

Well, it seems to have been successfully co-opted, despite predating Jesus by a couple of thousand years iirc.

Though according to Certain interpretations it's not possible to predate Jesus, so he could have just passed that on to the ancient Chinese, I suppose.

The fact others past, present and future have tried, are trying and will try to promote this message doesnt invalidate the it :)

Legit criticism of islam as its always going to be seen through a filter of race/culture the middle east etc.

Like the muslim patrol pratts 6 idiots out of a couple of million muslims:facepalm:

The. Call to pray can be annoying ,and, some Muslims want to fast during Ramadan when due to health problems they shouldn't.

Islam tells Muslims that they need not fast if they aren't well enough to do so. Fasting is a choice, Muslims observe it because it's important to them. But it's not compulsorary.

Wearing the hijab is also a choice, or at least is presented as such by the young women I work with. They choose, as they approach puberty, whether they want to be observant of that part if the practice of Islam. We have sisters at school where one does and one doesn't.

Now I'm sure in extremist families these things aren't presented as a choice. Some families of all religions and none are difficult, controlling places to grow up. But Islam itself, as practiced by most of the hundreds of young people I have known, is flexible and humane and realistic. It's perhaps worth observing that for a Muslim family to want to emigrate to the uk, it is often because the observance of Islam here can be more flexible than in their country of origin.

I'm an atheist. I think religion has no place in education or in providing exemption from laws (see homophobic B&B owners et al.). I think a lot of stuff done in the name of each religion is terrible. I have never felt less able to articulate this about Islam than I have about Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, or any other superstition. But I think you have to come from a position of knowledge about that which you are challenging.

Unfortunatly saudi has billions to push its intolerant flavour of islam.
You've seen how much damage a few evangelicals have managed to do in uganda:mad:
Just think how much damage could the rev ian paisley do with a billion a year thats whats coming out of saudi and paisleys a bleeding heart liberal in comparision.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom