Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Legitimate criticism of Islam

But what they actually did is wrap bacon around some door handles. Jailing them because you reckon they probably do other worse shit too is not on.

Yes it sounds trivial when divorced from any kind of social context. It's not though, and it contributes to a culture of hate.

I'm quite happy to jail potentially dangerous people. I'd be happy to jail people who make rape jokes and threats online - we'd catch plenty of unconvicted rapists. If a few non-rapists get caught up in it, well boo hoo. Same for people like these who demonstrate a reckless disregard for the emotional security of others.

Yes it sounds trivial when divorced from any kind of social context. It's not though, and it contributes to a culture of hate.

I'm quite happy to jail potentially dangerous people. I'd be happy to jail people who make rape jokes and threats online - we'd catch plenty of unconvicted rapists. If a few non-rapists get caught up in it, well boo hoo. Same for people like these who demonstrate a reckless disregard for the emotional security of others.
Jailing people for what you think they might be doing is a really dangerous road to go down. Wrongheaded.

When they come to your door because you said you wanted the Queen's head on a stake, what will you do?

Criticism of Islam isn't a form of racism, but islamophobia is and that's what he is pandering to. It will continue to be racist until people dissociate Islam with Arabs, which let's face it, isn't happening any time soon.

What would you say if they had urinated or defacted on the steps of the mosque? Because I think in the eyes of the people of they mosque they are similar things.
I would say similar. No jail.

Ozzy Osbourne was arrested in the US for pissing on some monument. He was asked what he would think if Americans went and pissed on Buckingham Palace. He replied that he wouldn't give a shit.

I would say similar. No jail.

Ozzy Osbourne was arrested in the US for pissing on some monument. He was asked what he would think if Americans went and pissed on Buckingham Palace. He replied that he wouldn't give a shit.
I am fine with them being jailed for a year.

It would certainly prevent crime if we put everybody in prison.
Actually only the living commit crimes...
Dark-judges-spread.jpg

ok. I'm not.

Joe Orton and Kenneth Halliwell were given two years for drawing cocks in library books in the 60s. I thought we'd moved on from that. But clearly we haven't.
I don't think that's the same because it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I don't know. Maybe a year is a bit long. But a jail sentence is ok for me given that it comes within the context of many many incidents of harassment against mosques. It is harassment basically. Talking about "offence" allows you to forget that.

You'd blow a gasket if the Government announced it was going to intern potentially dangerous young Islamists tomorrow.

Only because it would inevitably involve racial profiling. I'm happy with jailing people for violent rhetoric though, whether pro- or anti- Islam.

Then you're a fucking idiot.

a clash of civilisation will see islam annihilated within hours. it lacks thought, education, technology and 1000 other thingys

This thread is quite special.

It's a shame. The question of how to challenge ultra conservative Islamist views without fanning the flames of bigotry is an interesting one and I thought Left made some good points in the op, but the thread seems have descended into rants about Richard Dawkins and jailing twats for harrasment.

It's almost as if the left are too embarrassed to discuss legitimate criticism of Islam.

Jesus.

I'm somewhat surprised at the replies to that comment of mine. I know men in general will go to bat for their right to tell rape jokes, but I thought people here were more enlightened.

To get this thread back on topic: Islam is shit! Ban the burqa! Mohammed was a paedophile!

I'm somewhat surprised at the replies to that comment of mine. I know men in general will go to bat for their right to tell rape jokes, but I thought people here were more enlightened.

To get this thread back on topic: Islam is shit! Ban the burqa! Mohammed was a paedophile!

You started the thread, why don't you take it seriously?

Back
Top Bottom