Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is seeking to adopt refugee children a legitimate response to the 'refugee crisis'?

If you flee hundreds of miles from daesh controlled territory with half your family dead and bombs being dropped by assad etc with no water no food and bearded lunatics running around trying to kill you and you get on a boat and just about manage to make it on to dry land where you are herded into a squalid refugee camp, and you receive some food, or some medicine, is your first thought really gonna be 'oh no these vitamin tablets are not vegan!' Christ these people

I have to try hard to reign in my natural sarcasm. It's really hard though!

I'm deeply uncomfortable with children being separated from their parents as they're deemed a priority and we can afford to take only them. Not saying the op is suggesting that, but a comment piece in today's Standard clearly was despite initially appearing to show glimpses of humanity.

Yes, that's certainly more unequivocally the wrong response than what I was talking about in the OP, which was absolutely only in relation to orphaned children.

But it does seem that for too many supposed do-gooders it's not that big a leap from 'help the orphans' to 'well, if those parents are going to be irresponsible enough to put their children at risk in the first place...', which obviously tells you all you need to know about how superficial some people's grasp of the situation is.

I know people mean well but some people in the Facebook group where talking of 'adopting' people in the jungle so that when they got to the UK they could take them out for dinner and who them around, some others were talking about becoming their penpals and others were agonising over whether to donate tins of tuna as too much fish is apparently bad for them.
Haha I saw that.

Did you see the two page diatribe about baby food that someone added to the bottom of the required items list and requested that everyone ensured remained on the document whenever it was shared? She was quietly ignored....

Actually, as a parent (sorry, couldn't resist) it does raise an interesting question. If you were in that situation and someone came along and said 'give me your son, he'll be safe and warm and fed'- would you?

Actually, as a parent (sorry, couldn't resist) it does raise an interesting question. If you were in that situation and someone came along and said 'give me your son, he'll be safe and warm and fed'- would you?
I hope not - I'd hope nobody would ask, persuade, or force anyone to do that.

I hope not - I'd hope nobody would ask, persuade, or force anyone to do that.

Perfect response. Anyone who would do so in such circumstances is by definition demonstrating that they're not capable of thinking entirely unselfishly/empathetically.

Back
Top Bottom