Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Le Mans 24 hours 2024

weltweit

The world famous sports car race is set to run on 15 - 16th June 2024 at the Le Mans circuit in France.

Race build up starting to get going

Last year was good:

For some reason they were calling that the 100th running of the race but the internet is saying that this 2024 version is the 92 running of the race. They can't both be right.

I used to go to the race, and for a few years went every year, it is a grand spectacle the kind of which the French are very good at, think the Tour de France, Paris Dakar etc .. It used to be a busy weekend but well worth the effort of going there.

Anyhow, a shiny new thread for things Le Mans 24 hour ..

I am trying to work out the schedule of the coming week, I know there will be scrutineering and various practice sessions and qualifying during which the whole circuit is closed for racing and I think there is a moment when the cars are presented with their drivers in the Le Mans town.

Microsoft Co Pilot tells me:

Copilot
The Le Mans 24 Hours 2024 schedule begins with free practice 1 on Wednesday, June 12 at 1pm. After that, there will be qualifying at 6pm on the same day. On Thursday, June 13, free practice 3 will take place at 2pm1. Enjoy the excitement of the race! 🏁🚗💨

Copilot
Le Mans Hypercar

The Le Mans Hypercar (LMH) class features exciting sports prototype race cars that compete alongside LMDh entries in the FIA World Endurance Championship. Here are the key specifications for LMH cars:
  • Powertrain: Manufacturers have design freedom for the powertrain, which can be hybrid or non-hybrid.
  • Maximum Power: Up to 671 bhp (500 kW).
  • Minimum Weight: 1030 kg.
  • Aerodynamics: Teams enjoy design freedom within an “aerodynamic performance window.”
  • Development Freeze: Once cars enter the WEC, further development is frozen.
  • Close Racing: Balance of Performance changes ensure competitive racing.
Interestingly, LMH cars are more akin to pioneering Le Mans efforts of the past, allowing for creativity and innovation. For instance, Peugeot’s 9X8 Hypercar doesn’t even have a rear wing, relying on ground-effect for downforce12. 🏎️🏁

That looks genuinely interesting. I don't really watch F1 or anything but might tune in for this.

I mean, not the whole 24 hours.

I'm going to brush up my French because, I'm told, they can struggle to get enough marshals for the event. I need more courses and attendances first though.

Here is a famous named driver.

Valentino Rossi (he off two wheels!) is racing in the team 46 BMW M4 GT3 car

46 Team WRTBMW M4 GT3 Valentino Rossi
Ahmad Al Marthy
Maxime Martin

Also Mick Schumacher, son of Michael. in the Hypercar category

36 Alpine Endurance TeamAlpine A424 Nicolas Lapierre
Matthieu Vaxiviere
Mick Schumacher

I can remember being at the circuit when Michael Schumacher was in a Mercedes, it was immediately apparent just how fast he was, the car absolutely flew round the track.

ah okay i didnt know that
What quite often happens in the race is that one driver proves much faster and they often double stint .. in the pro am class for example there are professional and amateur drivers on the same team. The pro drivers are typically much faster.

Just a note to say that my ancient 13 year old computer seems to to have finally given up the ghost.

So all I have is this phone and I don't think I'm going to be able to follow the race properly.

Shame because I had bean looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom