Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Laurence Fox. The twat.

It's like when even the local rags refer to 'Adur & Worthing Council', they have made that shit up, there's no such council, there's Adur District Council and Worthing Borough Council, they share services, so it would be acceptable to refer to them as 'Adur & Worthing Councils', but not 'Adur & Worthing Council'! :mad:

They've done exactly the same with Lewes District and Eastbourne Borough councils, and it proper pisses me off. They have one phone number and one call centre. The twats in the call centre always send out Eastbourne forms for stuff, even when the address they are sending them to is in Lewes district.

Lewes and Eastbourne don't even share a boundary ffs, there's a big chunk of Wealden District council in between.

I used to work in local government, and when I left a London borough to work for the county council here, I couldn't get over what a ridiculous waste of money and time the two-tier system is. I've been in Sussex over 30 years now and I still think it's stupid and wasteful.

But, before we get back to mocking Fox and enjoying LeytonCatLady 's take downs, following a comment in here yesterday...in area the London Borough of Bromley really is a monster LB, isn't it?

For those less familiar these suburbs, at it's furthest North it reaches up to the same latitude as Brockwell park, further South than Whyteleafe in Surrey, further East than Old Bexley and further West than Peckham.

Unfortunately, on this rendering of the OS's 'Election Maps' neither Orpington or Bromley are labelled.

1729419572581.png

They've done exactly the same with Lewes District and Eastbourne Borough councils, and it proper pisses me off. They have one phone number and one call centre. The twats in the call centre always send out Eastbourne forms for stuff, even when the address they are sending them to is in Lewes district.

Lewes and Eastbourne don't even share a boundary ffs, there's a big chunk of Wealden District council in between.

At least Adur & Worthing Councils share a border, and letterheads and vehicles, such as the bin lorries, all have the 'Adur & Worthing Councils' branding, I was relaxed about them sharing services, loads of senior manager jobs were cut, which together with our savings, protected frontline services, I just get pissed of at reporting describing them as one council, just because they share services, when politically they very much remain two councils.

I used to work in local government, and when I left a London borough to work for the county council here, I couldn't get over what a ridiculous waste of money and time the two-tier system is. I've been in Sussex over 30 years now and I still think it's stupid and wasteful.

Where I am now, it's a three-tier system - parish, district and county councils!

It's not only a waste of money, but people don't tend to understand which councils do what, e.g. borough & district councils are responsible for collecting household waste, county council for disposing of it and running recycling centres/tips. County councils oversee on street parking, borough & district councils run most car-parks, etc.

Oh, don't remind me! The town council where I live accounts for around £300+ of my council tax, and all they seem to do is maintain a cemetery and two buildings that can be hired for events.

Luxury, our parish council doesn't even look after the village hall or community centre, both have their own separate charities managing them, nor the management of the privately maintained roads, there's another separate road association for that, which is another £90pa on top of the council tax. They are public roads, which the county council refuses to adopt, because they don't have pavements, that doesn't stop them maintaining country lanes, it's just a fucking scam. :mad:

All they seem to do is look after the tennis courts, play equipment on the village green, and other things that are normally down to the district council. They don't even have elections, because not enough people want to be parish councillors, so everyone that does gets appointed, then they try to co-op others onto the parish council.

You need to be careful drinking in any of the pubs if there's a parish councillor about, otherwise you could wake-up in the morning to find you're one of them, it nearly happened to me a couple of months ago, surprising how it seems like a good idea after 4 or 6 pints! :D

Back
Top Bottom