Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Laurence Fox. The twat.

Have never understood why Guyanese people (Lammy's parents, he's British of course) are Carribean and not South American. I mean, I understand that it was a British colony so it's culturally connected to Carribean islands more than Brazil or Venezuela but surely being pedantic about geograhy is more important?
I think it's access to the Carribbean sea.
A thick jungle makes it difficult to get to neighbouring countries over land. Trinidad etc is a lot easier to get to, hence there is more cultural exchange.

Lammy has dual nationality. Which is Fox's 'I'm not really a racist' angle on this one (I'm not arguing that he's not a racist, just that that's his angle). Parliament don't keep a list of MP's or cabinet members' other nationalities. I'm sure there's quite a few.

To be fair to Johnson, and it pains me, he did renounce his citizenship when he found out he was American. The story of how he discovered this is amusing. He was flying with his family somewhere that involved a stopover in the US, and an official noticed that he had been born in New York. That made him an American citizen, something he had never realised. And US laws say that you have to use your American passport to enter and leave the country, no matter what other nationalities you have. So he couldn't continue his trip. (Either they've cracked down on this post 9/11, or I was lucky, as in 1994 I travelled to the US on my British passport, which gives my American birthplace, and nobody said anything.)

To be fair to Johnson, and it pains me, he did renounce his citizenship when he found out he was American. The story of how he discovered this is amusing. He was flying with his family somewhere that involved a stopover in the US, and an official noticed that he had been born in New York. That made him an American citizen, something he had never realised. And US laws say that you have to use your American passport to enter and leave the country, no matter what other nationalities you have. So he couldn't continue his trip. (Either they've cracked down on this post 9/11, or I was lucky, as in 1994 I travelled to the US on my British passport, which gives my American birthplace, and nobody said anything.)

Had similar, a customer's dad is British, his mum holds Austrian and US citizenship. The kid had travelled in and out of the US all his life on his UK passport. He got a place in Uni in the US and needed a student visa, applied only to be told that he is a US citizen due to his mum, they granted him a US passport the very next day.

or, they were named after old home towns, which is understandable. or the deliciously sonorant native names were kept. but y'know, septics.
Then there’s places like Hell, Boring and Truth Or Consequences. I’ll never get bored looking at maps of the states (or anywhere else on land tbf)

(Don’t you mean sonorous rather than sonorant, btw? Unless there’s somewhere in South Dakota called Mmmmmmmmm)

or, they were named after old home towns, which is understandable. or the deliciously sonorant native names were kept. but y'know, septics.

In Birmingham's case, it was because the president of a land company building a new city where a railroad under construction would come close to iron ore and coal deposits was very impressed by the other Birmingham

....the most conclusive evidence points to Powell. This is supported by the fact that he had recently toured Birmingham, England, that country’s second-largest city and the leading center of the Industrial Revolution, and was inspired by the massive iron works there. In 1930, Powell’s daughter, Mary Powell Crane, recalled in her biography of her father that he was “greatly impressed by the industries” of the English city and “never tired of telling about his visit” there.

Also probably because the rest of the shortlist wasn't too inspiring: There was also Powellton and Morriston, as well as Muddtown, the last after Judge William S. Mudd, also a shareholder in the Elyton Land Company

Never understood the animosity towards the US using names from the Old World.

Give you a map and ask you to come up with 20,000 names for places on that map, off you pop…

Back
Top Bottom