Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Country Show is back! Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th July 2022

I haven't really been for the last few Country Shows but I'm assuming the crowd has changed as there's no longer a massive queue for Chucklehead.

Hugely disappointed with the vegetable animals this year.

As well as the relatively small number, I was especially surprised to see almost no political dioramas this year. Usually you could expect at least one member of the cabinet being ridiculed via the medium of parsnips and punnery but I was left wanting. I seem to remember 2019 being fairly sparse in this regard as well but I'll need to consult my photos to confirm.

I wasn't there for very long (wilting in the sun) but there seemed to be fewer people there today than I was expecting, did it busy up any later in the afternoon...? I did wonder if the weather had put people off.

Had that tree got a fence around it or am I looking at the wrong tree?
Oops just seen this! :D

It was lovely to see you! :)

Yes I think the circle of trees towards the bottom of the hill between the lido and the HH exit is a really good place for shade, so we spent a few hours there.

Will probably head for there during the hot part of the day.

Nice vibe yesterday I thought! Pretty chilled and friendly, not rammed like sardines.

Gonna go as soon as it opens today to check out all the rural sh*t ;)

I'm going to go to see some music both evenings. What is it you are allowed to bring in these days? Surely water is allowed?
We were allowed to bring filled water bottles in (and yes there are refilling stations) and also cartons of drink and snacks. Just no booze/open containers that could be booze.

I don’t know if it was coincidental but the crowd there looked a bit more like the crowd of old compared to the first couple of years after the fence and strict security.

Reactions: han
Also nagapie if you’re thinking from a kids’ perspective, the water fountains by the ponds are on. If we go again today the plan will be get there at 12 and move to the fountains by 2.

Did anyone see if all the main toilets outside the LCS were still open as usual? I’m sure I have a memory of them being closed on previous occasions when there was an event happening.

Was going to come again today for Cleveland Watkiss, Horace Andy and the farm to touch sheep but I've decided to hide indoors instead. The bus home was too hot and I had a cracking headache. Too much mojito :oops:

I dont like to whinge about the heat (ill miss it when its gone) but yesterday I could only manage to sit in the shade so basically didn't see anything. With the music traditionally much better today I'm hoping for a good knees up at the main stage. Hoping for some clouds!

I've posted up some pics of the vegetable sculptures so you can decide whether it's worth the wait in the heat

vegetable-sculptures-brockwell-05.jpg

I think I will plot up outside with loads of prohibited items. Beer, weed,cookies, tunes.
I think I may go in. Planning to drink my beer, eat three cookies and, smoke my two spliffs then hide my weed stash outside the fence for later. Then put on normal face and go in.

Mate has just called. Another pal who has a gaff on the back of the park near the cinders is raging about the fence and a sound is being set up right now in his garden. Should be on in an hour or so. Proper party in the park! All welcome. :)

Reactions: han
Didn't feel as busy as other years. the entry via security was pretty robust, did that put alot of people off or was it the heat?
enjoyed Cleveland Watkiss and the Empresses of Reggae.

Horace Andy was amazing as was his band, despite the technical hitches.
Didn't really bother with any of the other main stage music but the Malawian band at the Village Green on Saturday, last act, were pleasant.

We had a superb afternoon there yesterday. The atmosphere was great. Horace Andy was amazing to round off the whole thing.

The only issue is that I had some fairly aggressive D&V in the night. I started feeling unwell around 7pm. Could be the heat.... The only other things I consumed were 2 pints of Chucklehead and several big cups of water from the tanks.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tales of intestinal unpleasantness or whether it was just me reacting weirdly to something.

Well I have to say, I went both days, and I thought it was pretty bloody lovely.

Yes, it's disappointing that you're not officially allowed to take booze in (though obv some people managed it).

But apart from that it's still free (thank fuck, and I hope it always stays that way) very diverse in terms of community representation, and the programme of stuff on was great.

Nothing is ever as it used to be. That's the nature of everything, the law of the universe.

It's changed, it's not the same as when I used to go 20+ years ago but overall it's still good, imo.

Didn't feel as busy as other years. the entry via security was pretty robust, did that put alot of people off or was it the heat?
enjoyed Cleveland Watkiss and the Empresses of Reggae.
Combo of both for me. Wasn't going to be there for long because of the heat. And the thought of security faff turned me off just wandering in and out for short visits as I often do. Mostly the heat with a dog and a 5-year old though. I was quite happy dozing on the trampoline at home.

Well I have to say, I went both days, and I thought it was pretty bloody lovely.

Yes, it's disappointing that you're not officially allowed to take booze in (though obv some people managed it).

Nothing is ever as it used to be. That's the nature of everything, the law of the universe.
Increased authoritarianism is not inevitable and should be opposed.

Spent most of our time at the Groove School booth away down towards the Tulse Hill end. Some nice tunes, decent sound system, plenty of shade :)

Did anyone find a place that was returning your cup deposit? i was told by several bar staff that there was no refund for the extra money they charge you as mandatory for the already very expensive (£6.50) pint.

Back
Top Bottom