Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Country Show 10 and 11 June 2023

Actually quite missed the cheesey announcer guy and his bad puns over the PA.

Chucklehead medium cider only avalaible by pint (£6) or half, at the "traditional cider bar". Was sold out by 7.30 yesterday, assuming they'll have a restock today. This is the cheapest pint inside the wall

Actually quite missed the cheesey announcer guy and his bad puns over the PA.

Chucklehead medium cider only avalaible by pint (£6) or half, at the "traditional cider bar". Was sold out by 7.30 yesterday, assuming they'll have a restock today. This is the cheapest pint inside the wall
Oh yeah what happened to him? Hats off to Lambeth the show was brilliant this year despite the fence etc. Tippa Irie and MakaB were great today.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Post fence, that was the only decent value way of getting pissed once past the completely unnecessary (albeit friendly to be fair) security checks.

I had a fascinating discussion yesterday with a lady who is the biodiversity person for Friends of Brockwell Park. Apparently the first year that the security checks/barriers were introduced for the Country Show, more than 30 jettisoned knives were found in various bushes. :eek: The council doesn't actually have any choice but to have the fences or checks because it would not be able to get insurance for the event otherwise.

No insurance=no event.

(She also told me all about how they protect the cygnets from the foxes and all kinds of other interesting things.)

I had a fascinating discussion yesterday with a lady who is the biodiversity person for Friends of Brockwell Park. Apparently the first year that the security checks/barriers were introduced for the Country Show, more than 30 jettisoned knives were found in various bushes. :eek: The council doesn't actually have any choice but to have the fences or checks because it would not be able to get insurance for the event otherwise.

No insurance=no event.

(She also told me all about how they protect the cygnets from the foxes and all kinds of other interesting things.)
What a shame there are so many wankers out there feeling the need to bring a knife to a family friendly community festival. There was a stabbing yesterday outside the park, just as well it wasn't inside the fence or next year would be in jeopardy.

On a more positive note i noticed that plenty of people had managed to bypass the no booze rule, particularly yesterday with whole picnic boxes full of bottles of spirits and fizzy stuff being drunk at the mainstage. Might have to try and do the same next year, as i felt like a right muppet spending £6 on a can of Brewdog beer from very bored looking bar staff at the sometimes almost deserted bars.

Chucklehead cider had sold out when i arrived so got a pint of the Moonshine alternative.
interested to know more about this brand i went online to find out more...online shop sells it for
from £2.40 a litre, just my opinion, it was rank and something in it ( maybe the 'sweeteners' ) gave me and O/H a massive migraine...

Last edited:
Still a great event and lovely to see so many local people out.

Norman Grant (twinkle brothers) was amazing... He must be knocking on for 80 soon, bossed the stage is if he was 30.

Highlight of the day for me was an older woman who had come right up the front stage in her enclosed mobility scooter. She also needed some kind of breathing tubes. When Aswad Warrior Charge dropped she was moved enough to squeeze out one dance, before retreating back to the scooter.

We went Saturday afternoon and enjoyed it. It’s not the same as it was pre-fence but still a fun day out. I thought the bars were expensive- until we went to a gig at the forum in Kentish Town that evening (first time there since pre-Covid). £7.50 for a can of san Miguel ……

No insurance=no event.

They got insurance before for years no problem. What changed?

Terrorism? They can't run the risk of someone coming in to a crowded public event and running amok with a knife. The London Bridge stabbings were in 2017 and the barriers came into force around then iirc.

Terrorism? They can't run the risk of someone coming in to a crowded public event and running amok with a knife. The London Bridge stabbings were in 2017 and the barriers came into force around then iirc.
Terrorism was never cited as a reason for the fences.

Who wants to bet the police stuck their oar in?
That was my recollection. The police wanted more control. They cited people bringing drink and drugs and getting wasted. They insisted on the fence and Lambeth Council (who hate people) agreed and added some bullshit of their own.

Local authorities are usually self-insured up to the first few million. I'd be surprized if Lambeth wasn't. Insurance isn't the issue here.

Alcohol sales are probably the main motivation, but to be fair to them there was that Lorry that rampaged through a Christmas Market in Berlin in 2016, killing 49 people. You wouldn't want to be the on the organising commmittee and have that sort of thing happen.

And the fairground got a security fence at around the same time. The Windrush Square bollards came later, but their introduction wasn't related to alcohol sales either.

presumably all the knives they found wouldn't have helped. though I guess we can't rule out the idea this woman didn't know the full facts/was gossiping (including the knives thing).

presumably all the knives they found wouldn't have helped. though I guess we can't rule out the idea this woman didn't know the full facts/was gossiping (including the knives thing).
Every time the police do a knife sweep in the park they find lots of knives. No evidence they were dropped or stashed by attendees of the show who baulked when they saw security.

Every time the police do a knife sweep in the park they find lots of knives. No evidence they were dropped or stashed by attendees of the show who baulked when they saw security.

...do you think maybe 'lots of knives' found in routine searches of shrubbery might be a good enough reason to put a fence up for a busy public event...just thinking about this in context of the recent stab attacks on strangers in town centre, in particular the fatal one on stockwell park walk ?

Last edited:
...do you think maybe 'lots of knives' found in routine searches of shrubbery might be a good enough reason to put a fence up for a busy public event...just thinking about this in context of the recent stab attacks on strangers in town centre, in particular the fatal one on stockwell park walk ?
No I don’t. Fence all busy events in public parks? No.

There are bag checks in art galleries now. And public tours are no longer allowed at the BBC. The world has changed.

Got there about 430 on Sunday, and it did not seem rammed. The security was present but clearly checking for weapons not booze. (metal detector guy found all my decent size metal bits)

The row of breweries was much appreciated as it never had a q. 6.75 a pint is pub prices for "craft" beer but I accept that is still outrageous.

Lots of people with cans and honestly you could have thrown cases of beer over the fence and sold them inside.
Never seen the Twinkle Brother before and really appreciated them.
I have complicated food requirements and found at least 4 stalls i could eat at so that was amazing.
The queue for the veg parade was quite something. I avoided it.
The tiny DJ booth by the brewery row was doing jungle when I needed it, and then I ran into Maggot and friend and we saw the evening out.

DSC_0320_11.JPGDSC_0327_10.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0323_10.JPG
    DSC_0323_10.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 8
Just realised my friend must have been at this on Sunday - she sent a video of her and some of her friends dancing to the Venga Boys!

No insurance=no event.

I think we need more info about the cygnet protection! As of yesterday evening 8 out of 8 have survived so they are doing something right.

No insurance=no event.

Are your two statements related?

I don't doubt that there has been violence in the past. But when that violence has taken place, can the person make a claim if they come out worst at the end of the blade?

The council has public liability insurance for the operation of the park. Will a claim be made against them for events like the following two?

It sounds to me like some form of hysteria whipped up by curtain twitchers to justify what has been an overreaction to a small number of events, but leads to massive commercial benefits for the council and its stallholders.

Back
Top Bottom