Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

King Charles III's time is up

Any group of people who are keen on a significant reduction in the powers and wealth of the monarchy, and who see untimely deaths as a potential ally in this cause, should really understand the rules of succession and what a regent or a governor-general is and does.

Now that Sass has theead-flounced, presumably everyone still posting is in that group?

King of Canada forsooth. Queen Meghan and King Andrew likewise.

Unless we get really lucky with William and all three of his children, which would take an incident of Nepalese proportions.

Last edited:
Any group of people who are keen on a significant reduction in the powers and wealth of the monarchy, and who see untimely deaths as a potential ally in this cause, should really understand the rules of succession and what a regent or a governor-general is and does.

Now that Sass has theead-flounced, presumably everyone still posting is in that group?

Unless we get really lucky with William and all three of his children, which would take an incident of Nepalese proportions.
A series of 'untimely' axe-, rope- or gun-related deaths, perhaps outside the banqueting hall on Whitehall would seem to leave scant possibility for the rules of succession to be provided in the usual spirit. However in the absence of the cancer of the royal family being cut out from the nation, deaths from a series of serendipitous cancers or whatnot would from my pov be an acceptable alternative

Fucking Harry has shown scant interest in doing something to accelerate his advance toward the throne.

The sycophancy on the radio last night whilst I was driving around was just off the charts. I think the BBC have a bloated Premier League-style squad of doctors, religious quacks, "royal commentators", "royal historians", "constitutional experts" all to come on and plagiarise one another in an endless doom loop of platitudinous inconsequence. They're probably even blue-lighted to Broadcasting House in a souped up Volvo with fluorescent markings and ROYAL COMMENTATOR written on the side.

Fuck's sake.

The sycophancy on the radio last night whilst I was driving around was just off the charts. I think the BBC have a bloated Premier League-style squad of doctors, religious quacks, "royal commentators", "royal historians", "constitutional experts" all to come on and plagiarise one another in an endless doom loop of platitudinous inconsequence. They're probably even blue-lighted to Broadcasting House in a souped up Volvo with fluorescent markings and ROYAL COMMENTATOR written on the side.

Fuck's sake.

That’s what the BBC is for. It’s the Guardian live-blogging it that astounds me.

It's certainly a distraction from the Sunak et al war mongering in Gaza.
The British tv stations are going wall to wall Charles and Kingy stuff.
Why didn't he keep it quiet ? His mum wouldn't have blurted it out to all and sundry.

I think people here are getting too hung up on the ‘rules of succession’ in an almost FOTL manner. After all the establishment just makes them up to suit the political circumstances of the day. Look at George the 1st. He was like 52 or 53 in line to the monarchy . Or William and Mary (TBF having a navy blockading key ports and a foreign army on British soil probably helped a bit with that one…)

I don't think it'd be that hard. Either Harry would move back to the UK - changing residency isn't difficult - or they'd move on to Edward. Regency is something that can be refused without it being a big deal and I think they're jus smart enough to know it'd be the end of the monarchy.

The monarchy ending would be quite nice in a lot of ways, of course, but I'm not sure that'd be the best method. Just let them gradually have fewer powers and rights - paying more taxes would be a start, especially because it would probably lead to other supposed charities paying tax - and become more like Scandi royals. There are way more important things to change than who does the ceremonial stuff.
I'm all for that, I don't want a president, but also important to nationalise all royal estates

Or perhaps we could go for a modern day re run of Bosworth with Harry rocking up at Northolt with five C130s full of Executive Outcomes types. I’d watch that on TV.
If he rocked up over central London with an ac-130 and blasted the fuck out of Buckingham Palace and Whitehall that'd be grand

That’s what the BBC is for. It’s the Guardian live-blogging it that astounds me.

The Guardian generally just runs with the pack now. The days when they lessened their royal coverage to compete with The Independent print edition - which regularly relegated royal reporting to small slots inside - have long gone.

Back
Top Bottom