Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

The end of that weasel Starmer as the leader of the Labour party and his henchpeople might be the only good thing to come of all of this, that and maybe the acknowledgement that silencing criticism of the state of Israel is unhealthy and leaves many people feeling powerless. Just need to keep the pressure on, though it doesn't seem there's too much widespread discussion of these resignations at the moment.

BREAKING: Thousands of British Muslim councillors, imams, doctors and other professionals have signed an open letter saying they have lost confidence in
@Keir_Starmer
as the leader of the Labour Party, following his comments on Gaza.
https://twitter.com/Taj_Ali1/status/1714360877397221717/photo/1
Letter here

Dunno. My cynical side wonders if there's another 'nowhere else to go' strategy as regards muslim voters...

They seem to be relying on an awful lot of people having nowhere else to go while pitching everything at tory voters who have, well, who have the tories to go to.

The maths of it doesn't work. You'd think one of their army of market research drones would have puzzled that out by now but no.

Isn't he in one of the safest Labour seats? Much as I'd be delighted I can't see it happening.
He won't lose to a Tory that is for certain, but he is vulnerable to an independent left candidate and we will be standing one. In Holborn St Pancras basing your entire general election strategy on "vote Labour or get a Tory" is a losing formula if you also unreservedly support Israeli air strikes on Gaza and overturn a policy commitment to end student tuition fees. That's well over a third of his potential voters already pissed off with him and his main campaign message is absurd in a local context. Elections don't only take place in TV studios. We are already out on the streets and as from tomorrow the doorsteps. Whereas the local Labour Party there is rapidly becoming moribund as councillors and activists who won't toe the leadership line unquestioningly resign or are expelled. The Green candidate is a councillor mainly concerned with holding on to his council seat, the Lib Dems and Tories are nowhere and seem to be barely bothering. It is basically Labour versus OCISA and while Starmer is making enemies we are making friends and gaining new supporters every week. Yes his seat is safe from the Tories, but not from us.

He won't lose to a Tory that is for certain, but he is vulnerable to an independent left candidate and we will be standing one. In Holborn St Pancras basing your entire general election strategy on "vote Labour or get a Tory" is a losing formula if you also unreservedly support Israeli air strikes on Gaza and overturn a policy commitment to end student tuition fees. That's well over a third of his potential voters already pissed off with him and his main campaign message is absurd in a local context. Elections don't only take place in TV studios. We are already out on the streets and as from tomorrow the doorsteps. Whereas the local Labour Party there is rapidly becoming moribund as councillors and activists who won't toe the leadership line unquestioningly resign or are expelled. The Green candidate is a councillor mainly concerned with holding on to his council seat, the Lib Dems and Tories are nowhere and seem to be barely bothering. It is basically Labour versus OCISA and while Starmer is making enemies we are making friends and gaining new supporters every week. Yes his seat is safe from the Tories, but not from us.

have fun

although i still think there should be a candidate campaigning in an alpaca costume...

:p

They seem to be relying on an awful lot of people having nowhere else to go while pitching everything at tory voters who have, well, who have the tories to go to.

The maths of it doesn't work. You'd think one of their army of market research drones would have puzzled that out by now but no.
The team around Starmer believe totally in some complete fantasies. They believe that elections are won nationally by what happens on TV alone, and that no local factors or local campaigning are at all relevant. They believe that if they get support from Murdoch they will romp home, despite the Sun's circulation figures having plummeted. They believe that every time you screw over a minority of people to please a supposed majority, that is always positive. That last being a probably fatal error because whilst people generally forget what they saw on TV or read in the newspaper last week, they can hold a grudge for years, and everybody is in at least two or three minorities. I trained as a political organiser under Mandelson, so I know what a total fantasist he is. Sadly, while I asked awkward questions while I was being trained, my fellow trainee David Evans (Labour Party General Secretary) just swallowed everything uncritically. They really have no idea what they are doing.

Numbers-wise, I think it probably will work alas.

This is why IMO Jeremy Corbyn should stand in Starmer's constituency (no obviously he won't but should should should)

Maybe I'll get a petition going. Jezza loves petitions.
Jeremy will stand in Islington North and nowhere else. I've known him since 1982 and he takes the responsibility to represent his electors extremely seriously. He just doesn't play those sort of games. He doesn't need to. Assuming Starmer doesn't restore the whip to him and Diane Abbott before the election they will both win comfortably as independents. Whereas from what we are hearing on the ground pretty much anybody who can prove they are a functioning adult human being will trounce Starmer in Holborn St Pancras.

Whereas from what we are hearing on the ground pretty much anybody who can prove they are a functioning adult human being will trounce Starmer in Holborn St Pancras.
I think you're wrong. He has a very large majority and even if there was a great candidate standing against him, they don't have the party machine*, the name recognition etc that he has. Winning a Parliamentary seat as an independent is very, very difficult, if not near impossible these days.

*Much diminished as party boots on the ground etc are, experience running for elections counts.

Is there any precedent in recent decades of a leader of the two main parties being ousted in their constituency? I would say that's 'fantasist'. Or a very tall order.

Would be a spectacular fuck up.

I think you're wrong. He has a very large majority and even if there was a great candidate standing against him, they don't have the party machine*, the name recognition etc that he has. Winning a Parliamentary seat as an independent is very, very difficult, if not near impossible these days.

*Much diminished as party boots on the ground etc are, experience running for elections counts.
Yeah sadly I think this is spot on. Corbyn can win in Islington, imo, but that's with 40 years of solid track record in the constituency behind him. Someone against Starmer without that? A few thousand votes at best. Starmer's majority is 20k+.

Yeah sadly I think this is spot on. Corbyn can win in Islington, imo, but that's with 40 years of solid track record in the constituency behind him. Someone against Starmer without that? A few thousand votes at best. Starmer's majority is 20k+.
I would add that this OCISA group is politically dodgy.

I would add that this OCISA group is politically dodgy.
In what sense? Simply slinging mud? Doesn't 100% line up precisely with your personal ideological requirements? Or from decades of useless left initiatives falling part in factionalism and through the opportunism of big egos making you paranoid and pessimistic? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter in which case I urge you to actually do some research to find out the track records of those of us involved in it, and what actions are currently being taken. It's all fairly transparent, there's not really an alternative when you largely organise through social media and absolutely know that if you even get close to succeeding every single possible allegation will be made against you, and if at all possible taken to law.

The experienced election organisers are largely no longer in the Labour Party. An awful lot of us have been expelled or have resigned. We have two former Labour Party constituency agents on the core OCISA team as well as several more as members but more concerned with working outside of Holborn St Pancras. We've been building our "non-party machine" for six months, currently we are the only organisation out on the street in the constituency. Starmer's CLP are haemorrhaging members. Camden councillors are resigning and being expelled from the Labour Party. If Starmer has a party machine left in HSP it's in desperate need of work by some competent mechanics. Unless Labour pull campaigners from all over the country to save Starmer's seat then we already outnumber them on the ground there, and we have currently got more experience and expertise focused on Holborn St Pancras than the Labour Party has. If Labour choose to sacrifice other MPs to save Starmer then what happens to Reeves, Cooper, Reed, Kinnock, Coyle, Lammy, Streeting, Ashworth, Kendall, all of whom there are plans to challenge. Expelling tens of thousands of members on spurious grounds has consequences.

Back
Top Bottom