Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

If tories get in again we'll be headed for the American insurance model to separate out the rich from the poor. If labour get in I assume it'll mean more "public/private" partnerships which I don't see as being as bad but costs will go up and service levels go down. Again.

If tories get in again we'll be headed for the American insurance model to separate out the rich from the poor. If labour get in I assume it'll mean more "public/private" partnerships which I don't see as being as bad but costs will go up and service levels go down. Again.
public private partnerships mean the public funding private companies to do less efficiently and more expensively what was done in the public sector before. dk why you don't see that as a bad thing

Yvette Cooper not sounding too comfortable:

He's got them lying for him, too. Clearly an instruction to refuse to say he's U-turned on anything. You can tell they're lying whenever they say "I've been very clear on this ...". She says "What Labour was very clear about ...". No in that particular case - as with all the U-turns - what Starmer was very clear about when trying to get voted labour leader was scrapping the two-child benefit cap.

Wes Streeting thinks the solution is commissioning the private sector more and more and that somehow digital will save the health service. In reality it means eye watering sums handed over the shareholders, anything remotely profitable or minor in health will be farmed out to the private sector, and you'll need private insurance to get seen for anything non-emergency but serious as the rest of the health service rapidly falls apart. It's no better than the Tories in practice.

Wes Streeting thinks the solution is commissioning the private sector more and more and that somehow digital will save the health service. In reality it means eye watering sums handed over the shareholders, anything remotely profitable or minor in health will be farmed out to the private sector, and you'll need private insurance to get seen for anything non-emergency but serious as the rest of the health service rapidly falls apart. It's no better than the Tories in practice.
worse in fact

Indeed - I still don't think it'll be as bad as the US insurance model, though. I've seen stories of women having to divorce their husband so they're not landed with a bill of hundreds of thousands of dollars for terminal care when they die. We'll doubtless be headed that way, but I can see the tories doing it within one parliament.

The Thinking Big will also doubtless involve AI taking over medicine (and teaching and civil service etc.) whether it'll work properly or not, and rather than using it to improve services with properly skilled oversight we'll see tens of thousands thrown out of work instead.

They aren't training remotely like the number of healthcare professionals needed just to stand still so unless we start training masses of people immediately (they aren't going to train masses of people immediately) we're going to have to manage with ChatGP (and ChatCBT and ChatPharmacy etc) anyway.

Indeed - I still don't think it'll be as bad as the US insurance model, though. I've seen stories of women having to divorce their husband so they're not landed with a bill of hundreds of thousands of dollars for terminal care when they die. We'll doubtless be headed that way, but I can see the tories doing it within one parliament.

The Thinking Big will also doubtless involve AI taking over medicine (and teaching and civil service etc.) whether it'll work properly or not, and rather than using it to improve services with properly skilled oversight we'll see tens of thousands thrown out of work instead.
Someone I know is working on something AI related with the NHS, to do with diagnosis pathways I think. Birmingham is the test case - if it works there it can work everywhere apparently.

They'll be worse than the Tories. Look at what they do to people within their own party they disagree with. It'll be turbocharged Toryism with a race to sell the last bits of family silver before the country collapses, plus Starmer never met a violent police officer he didn't like.

They, objectively, won’t be. On some things: employment rights, investment in carbon neutral, green energy (publicly owned), taxing private schools, taxing non-doms they will be better.

On most other things, they will be the same, but with the promise of being technocratically better managers.

I properly detest Starmer in a way that I can’t even summon up for the likes of Sunak or Hunt. His politics is as bad as theirs but he’s worse because he really means it. He wants to hurt people.

He wants to treat people like he treats alpacas.

Someone I know is working on something AI related with the NHS, to do with diagnosis pathways I think. Birmingham is the test case - if it works there it can work everywhere apparently.
And if it doesn't work - it's only Birmingham, not like properly rich people would be affected. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Apparently having weed smoke wafting near an open widow is the worst thing ever. Only I had a neighbour who said that he could smell my smoke and could he have the number?
It’s not as obnoxious as cigarette smoke on people, especially unwashed folk who smoke in their houses.
And what of people with legal prescriptions?

Starmer really is a reactionary no-fun stuffed-shirt killjoy

The child benefit is the final fucking straw for me. I was willing to put up with a lot of bullshit in the name of chasing down voters who aren't already voting Labour, but a Labour Party that can't even stand up for children in poverty - when the Torys' own research says it's done nothing for employment and just made poor children poorer - isn't useful to anyone. This isn't some economic policy that may do this or may do that. This is saying "We can help children in poverty, but we've decided not to." I'm going to have a helluva time figuring out where my vote will have to go to now.

I'm sure he'll win the election anyhow, and I hope he fucking chokes to death on it live on telly.

Back
Top Bottom