Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Another candidate is felled.

Done under the "rooting out anti semitism"

Same with the Mayor Driscoll

The net that covers rooting out anti semitism is now so wide and factional that means pretty well anyone on left of party can find their political careers ended.

Driscoll - doing public interview with Ken Loach about his films.

Rahman- voting ( as was his democratic right) the "wrong" way at NEC.

This does not apply to those on right of party like Steve Reed.

Its factional.

First half of Novara media covers the Starmer and the two child limit/ Driscoll and Rahman.

What had me choking on my dinner was sight of Starmer at event with Blair who was interviewing him. Event was by Blairs think tank.

So Starmer who has taken hardline on left of party has no problem being chummy with someone who took this country into a disastrous war based on lies. Even if one excuses the lies the fact that the outcome of it was a disaster I would have thought meant that Starmer would have at the very least put some distance between himself and Blairs think tank. Out of sensitivity to Labour voters who opposed the war. Its like hes ( like in the New Labour years) deliberately antagonising left Labour voters.

Footage of Driscoll twenty minutes in putting case for the work hes done as Mayor -wiping the floor with the guy the Labour party put up. Rightly implies - what is so wrong with what Ive been doing as Mayor. Rationally shouldnt any leader of the party be praising the work hes done as example of competent government with results.

Last edited:
Appears on arms spending no sign of fiscal rules.

I have not hard Starmer repudiate increased spending on armaments. No lectures about lack of money to hold this up.

Funny how there is always money for wars. But children in poverty? Tough choices.

Appears on arms spending no sign of fiscal rules.

I have not hard Starmer repudiate increased spending on armaments. No lectures about lack of money to hold this up.

Funny how there is always money for wars. But children in poverty? Tough choices.
growth growth growth

Guy is completely fucked. He may well win the next GE, but literally nobody likes/supports him. It will go pear shaped very, very quickly.

Yes! Bring on the next tory government led by Suella Braverman and Alex Chalk that I've been forecasting for so very long! I mean, we'll be out in the streets swapping our shoes for a bag of mouldy potatoes, but I told you so, and that's the main thing!

Would prefer a kind of John Smith transition.

James_Hacker.jpg

"...And you can arrange that?"

I mean one thing we can be sure of with the modern Labour party is that they give not a single tiny shit about what you want if they think you are going to vote for them regardless. They lost Scotland that way, they lost big chunks of the North, they have learnt precisely fuck all. So I see no benefit in saying "oh well I'll vote for you regardless but I'd love it if you didn't do all the things you're talking about".
You hit the nail right on the head.

I properly detest Starmer in a way that I can’t even summon up for the likes of Sunak or Hunt. His politics is as bad as theirs but he’s worse because he really means it. He wants to hurt people.
Is it better to want to hurt people, or to be only doing it for the perks?

Yes! Bring on the next tory government led by Suella Braverman and Alex Chalk that I've been forecasting for so very long! I mean, we'll be out in the streets swapping our shoes for a bag of mouldy potatoes, but I told you so, and that's the main thing!
Warning in advance is not the same as "told you so".

So, the line being taken by Toynbee etc is "vote Labour even if you disagree with their manifesto of nothing because they'll probably be lying anyway and they'll definitely do the things you want". :hmm:

So, the line being taken by Toynbee etc is "vote Labour even if you disagree with their manifesto of nothing because they'll probably be lying anyway and they'll definitely do the things you want". :hmm:

This was often the view expressed in the run up to 1997. Many on the liberal left believed that once Labour was elected that it would quickly pivot to social democracy and abandon its stated aim which was to work with, support, get out of the way of and unleash the potential of the market and neoliberal orthodoxy.

So widespread was the view that Labour’s stated position was merely a ruse to persuade people to vote for them that Blair felt it necessary to clarify matters for the cloth eared by stating on election night "we campaigned as new labour, and we will govern as new labour”. Starmer is making the same point plain now. He is, to be fair, only making abundantly clear the truth: which is that Labour’s role and politics is in essence in lock step with the demands of the market and the orthodoxy. Theiroffer is better management of the state's role in suppprting the market than the Tories have managed. That's it.

The most disappointing thing about the whole outrage with Starmer over the past few days is the number of people stuck in the dead-end of labourism. They might be on twitter now rather than marches and meetings, but the disorientation in the same. What did these people expect? There is over a hundred years of history and lived experience that tells us that this is always what happens. That this is labourism. That no matter how many motions passed, CLPs captured, ‘left’ MPs elected, articles knocked up trading on the radicalism of the past etc that this is what Labour is (and always has been and always will be) and that anything better can only occur outside of it.

The fact that building anything credible, resonant, uncaptured by cranks and with agency outside of Labour seems apparently impossible to conceive of doesn’t mean that it’s not the only option.

Remember when the Guardian was all 'when Boris Johnson gets in he's going to be all nice and liberal'?

This was often the view expressed in the run up to 1997. Many on the liberal left believed that once Labour was elected that it would quickly pivot to social democracy and abandon its stated aim which was to work with, support, get out of the way of and unleash the potential of the market and neoliberal orthodoxy.

So widespread was the view that Labour’s stated position was merely a ruse to persuade people to vote for them that Blair felt it necessary to clarify matters for the cloth eared by stating on election night "we campaigned as new labour, and we will govern as new labour”. Starmer is making the same point plain now. He is, to be fair, only making abundantly clear the truth: which is that Labour’s role and politics is in essence in lock step with the demands of the market and the orthodoxy. Theiroffer is better management of the state's role in suppprting the market than the Tories have managed. That's it.

The most disappointing thing about the whole outrage with Starmer over the past few days is the number of people stuck in the dead-end of labourism. They might be on twitter now rather than marches and meetings, but the disorientation in the same. What did these people expect? There is over a hundred years of history and lived experience that tells us that this is always what happens. That this is labourism. That no matter how many motions passed, CLPs captured, ‘left’ MPs elected, articles knocked up trading on the radicalism of the past etc that this is what Labour is (and always has been and always will be) and that anything better can only occur outside of it.

The fact that building anything credible, resonant, uncaptured by cranks and with agency outside of Labour seems apparently impossible to conceive of doesn’t mean that it’s not the only option.

At least they're consistent

Politician says they'll do thing X you want if elected, and then they don't = pretty commonplace

Politician says they won't do thing X you want if elected, and then they do = struggling to think of an instance of this happening

Back
Top Bottom