Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

The child benefit is the final fucking straw for me. I was willing to put up with a lot of bullshit in the name of chasing down voters who aren't already voting Labour, but a Labour Party that can't even stand up for children in poverty - when the Torys' own research says it's done nothing for employment and just made poor children poorer - isn't useful to anyone. This isn't some economic policy that may do this or may do that. This is saying "We can help children in poverty, but we've decided not to." I'm going to have a helluva time figuring out where my vote will have to go to now.

I'm sure he'll win the election anyhow, and I hope he fucking chokes to death on it live on telly.
Tories could make him look a tosser before the election by removing the 2-child cap.

In certain circumstances I find fag smoke intimidating. On the tube, on the bus, in the public areas of my work. More about the attitudes of those doing it that bothers me.
Aye, same with the weed. At my last workplace, there was a small garden and yard in front of the main doors and young ruffians used to hang around, using the free wifi and smoking weed and it put off a lot of people from entering the building.
‘when I was a lad’…we avoided adult scrutiny as much as possible, hiding in the woods to have a smoke. I suppose the lack of free wifi deters them from doing the same

Good luck to him

Really lays into Starmer in the letter. I don't blame him. He's been treated very shoddily for the crime of being on left of party and a competent Mayor. As he implies having someone on the left whose successfully held an important post is not what the Starmer faction want.

Last edited:

Good luck to him

Really lays into Starmer in the letter. I don't blame him. He's been treated very shoddily for the crime of being on left of party and a competent Mayor. As he implies having someone on the left whose successfully held an important post is not what the Starmer faction want.

I think its appalling he didnt describe himself as politically homeless, "I didn't leave Labour, Labour left me" etc etc

Good luck to him

The revisionist Starmer clique have selected a racist cop in his place. I hope Discoll wipes the floor with this repugnant lump of filth:

Last edited:
I think Starmer has no concrete aims beyond actually winning, his policies seem to flip flop according to what he thinks (or various focus groups tell him) people most want to hear from him. I have a feeling he knows that he isn't popular but is only so far ahead in the polls because the Tories are about as popular as the Black Death. If their popularity starts to rebound then his lead will evaporate very quickly.

I think Starmer has no concrete aims beyond actually winning, his policies seem to flip flop according to what he thinks (or various focus groups tell him) people most want to hear from him. I have a feeling he knows that he isn't popular but is only so far ahead in the polls because the Tories are about as popular as the Black Death. If their popularity starts to rebound then his lead will evaporate very quickly.
I think you are absolutely right in your middle sentence however I don't think he is driving the Labour agenda, it's the backroom. He's made a pact to be PM .

I was trying to read Polly Toynbee defence of Starmer and the two child limit. Sorry I gave up reading Polly a while back as she so winds me up. So could not stomach reading all of this. A privileged member of middle class liberal elite telling me the error of my ways. Fuck off.

However she did post up a poll.

Sadly the poll says that even Labour voters are not against the two child limit.

Going through the poll all groups ( age / sex / politics) support the limit.

Im guessing that Starmer back room lot looked at the polls and thought no its not worth the hassle to oppose it. Might even lose votes over it if leadership comes out to say it will ditch it.

So even though the evidence base of NGOs and charities who work on the frontline put rational case that the limit is not good overall for the country Starmer is not going to argue the case to Joe Public.

This is concerning of two levels.

Evidence based policy to reduce poverty is out the window with this move by Starmer.

Starmer has no interest in moving the political terrain in a more liberal direction. Attempting to change opinion. Build a support for more humane attitude.

Its politics based on opinion polls. This from a section of the political class who complain about "populism" of left and right. One of their criticisms of the rise of Corbyn and Boris.

I cannot see anything but that politics based on opinion polls is being "populist". This time of a right wing version.

Last edited:
Tbh it’s the Tories that have got to persuade ‘especially working class voters who voted Tory last time ‘ not Labour
I disagree. They've already made that mental leap and switched allegiance. And moreover they voted for candidates of a Conservative Party led by Boris Johnson. So they're quite a way down the rabbit hole.

It's Labour who are going to have to persuade those voters, but they're not giving them anything to vote for.

Holding down public sector pay, keeping the two child benefits cap. All that economic prudence stuff about not spending.

And yet, the aim is to create wealth.

Why is it that whenever politicians talk about creating wealth, they're not talking about putting money in the pockets of teachers or social workers or nurses or doctors or railway workers, they're talking about what's, effectively, corporate welfare. Letting companies pay poverty wages, topped up by benefits, so those corporations get their wage bills subsided by the taxpayer, but it's the little people who are demonised for being benefits claimants, for being shirkers and skivers.

And then there's tax breaks. And putting money in the pockets of their big business buddies.

Meanwhile lots of families are struggling because of childcare costs (as well as bills and other cost of living increases).

Starmer's giving those working class folk nothing to vote for.

I mean you save the bricks til after the election clearly.

Seriously it is like he's moved on from wanting to piss off every local candidate and onto wanting to piss off any party member who might have been happy to knock on doors and do the real work.
It's like if Starmer wanted to destroy the Labour Party, if he planned and set out to do so, purging Lefties - not the looney Lefties of old, just people who believe in human rights and a decent standard of living - and so getting rid of lots of activists, and then alienating even more of them by telling them they're not welcome.

Just who does he think is going to do all the door knocking and phone canvassing when he's turning off and turning away more and more?

It's like he doesn't really want to win, he's going through the motions.

I was trying to read Polly Toynbee defence of Starmer and the two child limit. Sorry I gave up reading Polly a while back as she so winds me up. So could not stomach reading all of this. A privileged member of middle class liberal elite telling me the error of my ways. Fuck off.

However she did post up a poll.

Sadly the poll says that even Labour voters are not against the two child limit.

Going through the poll all groups ( age / sex / politics) support the limit.

Im guessing that Starmer back room lot looked at the polls and thought no its not worth the hassle to oppose it. Might even lose votes over it if leadership comes out to say it will ditch it.

So even though the evidence base of NGOs and charities who work on the frontline put rational case that the limit is not good overall for the country Starmer is not going to argue the case to Joe Public.

This is concerning of two levels.

Evidence based policy to reduce poverty is out the window with this move by Starmer.

Starmer has no interest in moving the political terrain in a more liberal direction. Attempting to change opinion. Build a support for more humane attitude.

Its politics based on opinion polls. This from a section of the political class who complain about "populism" of left and right. One of their criticisms of the rise of Corbyn and Boris.

I cannot see anything but that politics based on opinion polls is being "populist". This time of a right wing version.

This was Toynbee’s assessment of Labour in the aftermath of the 2019 election:

“Labour was disastrously, catastrophically bad, an agony to behold. A coterie of Corbynites cared more about gripping power within the party than saving the country by winning the election. The national executive committee, a slate of nodding Corbynite place-persons, disgraced the party with its sectarian decisions.”

When she refers to NEC members ‘gripping power’ she means being elected and ‘sectarian positions’ means reflecting what the members supported. But of course what she’s doing here is feeding the narrative that Labour under Corbyn was cult-like and authoritarian, even though Corbyn rivals in the party faced zero repercussions for their dissent. But in her new piece not even a pip of concern about the Starmer clique’s unprecedented levels of control freakery and deselections and expulsions of people who slightly depart from the Starmer line. She’s a clown.

Last edited:
rachel reeves is on the 'my grandad was a shoemaker in kettering' shit. Even came to town to do a photoshoot at a shoe factory. Didn't look anywhere near as fucking ecstatic as she did on the visit to wall street.

Back
Top Bottom