Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

"Get better at the job" - in the Kuenssberg piece above - that's how Starmer sees his role, Labour's role isn't it. To get better at the job of running the country. This is our alternative, what will save us .. better administration :thumbs:

Starmer writes in The Guardian.

Starmer says
Only by sweeping away the entire, failed Tory approach can we rebuild our country.
Then fifty words later
If we are to turn things around, then economic stability must come first. That will mean making tough choices, and having iron-clad fiscal rules.
Er…

He's been thinking big by getting rid of all the left wingers from the party though. Give him that.

Last edited:
(I wanted to post something about Starmer’s mean-spirited, small-minded, low-expectations 'offer' that we're all expected to vote for, but even thinking about it makes me feel horrible so best left alone really. Apathy feels less grim than desperation)

Last edited:
Starmer's strategy of not scaring the horses is good for disrupting the Tory vote and it consolidates his wing/faction so it's locked in. I don't think it's worth bemoaning this reality but I think it is worth looking at the consequences of a long term consciously no-to-hope authoritarian Labour government. I think we're going to be looking at the return of the far right as a counter - historically that's what happened in Europe with similar governments and to an extent here under New Labour. The culture war stuff the Tories are trying to tap into now is still pretty marginal and it won't work for them at the next election, but I'm thinking about what it will look like in 5 years time. I think in the current climate there is also an opportunity for a left of Labour politics that there wasn't 20 years ago, but I really don't have much faith that anyone will get it together.

And a reminder to be nice to Tory voters.

If Labour are going to win the next election they are going to have to persuade a lot of people especially working class voters who voted Tory last time to vote Labout this time around.
"You're all class traitors, we hate you and hope you burn in hell" is not going to win many over tbh.

It's (more) posturing bollocks. He's making snide implications about the dedication and common sense of people who have been doorknocking for Labour for years for the sake of a cheap headline aimed at the sort of dipshit who he reckons will turn their vote if he says enough nasty public comments about lefties. As though grassroots Labour activists were previously all engaged in bricking known tories' windows ffs.

Back
Top Bottom