Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Anyone know what they will do? All we've heard is what they won't do. Then there were a few policies, then we found out that they weren't doing them either. It's a shambles.
I suspect the process goes like this:

1) Tentatively agree to a policy.

2) Introduce policy to a carefully selected focus group of their target demographic (elderly Tories living in marginal constituencies).

3) Find focus group doesn't agree with policy.

4) Drop policy.

A Labour Spokesperson said:
That’s why the next Labour government will put in place a new model with the independence needed to meet the challenges of the 21st century, and reinstate the 0.7% aid target as soon as the fiscal environment allows.
Seriously angling for the selfish racist cunt vote then :thumbs: in fact they think they'll lose, without that vote.

Last edited:
Labour ditches pledge to bring in rent controls.

Also apparently backing right to buy at the same time.

ETA: the Indie link does mention it but a long way down and not in the headline. Basically she says the same thing as every government since i.e. "right to buy is great we just need to build more social housing along with it" which mysteriously no government has actually done.

Last edited:
Neal Lawson suspended from Labour for retweeting a lib dem MP. Meanwhile Luciana Berger is welcomed back despite standing as a lib dem candidate.

I was staggered by this. Compass are soft left group. Neal Lawson has been around for years. Decent guy.

And where does it leave party members who also support Compass? They are under threat now. Or MPs who take part in public meetings organised by Compass?

There was no need to do this unless it's to stop any debate in party . This can't be be said to have anything to do with rooting out anti semitism. It's purely factional.

Listening to Owen Jones few weeks back and he was ranting that it's the soft left next to be expelled. I thought he was getting carried away. But turns out he was right.

So any member of labour party who even thinks of working with the greens is going to get kicked out. Anyone who votes labour on basis it's a broad church now is going to have to think if they will vote for Labour government when the party leadership is expelling members who deviate in any way from them

I can't vote for a party that does this to people.

Lawson is right on what the party has become under Starmer.

Last edited:
All the chance in the world the next election may be a lot tighter than people, or polls, are predicting.

Just apart from anything, I don't see Starmer doing too well in head to head debates.
he kicks the shit out of Sunk at most PMQ's - which says more about how fucking useless Sunk is than about Starmer. It will be closer than '97, but it won't be close.

All the chance in the world the next election may be a lot tighter than people, or polls, are predicting.

Just apart from anything, I don't see Starmer doing too well in head to head debates.
I think from the last GE the Tories have already given up on head to head debates. Probably won't happen at all this time.

I'm always unsure as to how much difference they make at all, and the press always give a very preferential summary anyway (which is what people not mad enough to watch the things will read). Boris performed shockingly in debates around the last election and yet got almost uniformly good write-ups.

eta: which is potentially good for Starmer as he could be a complete plank and if he has the press on his side will be said to be doing well

A lot of my left mates are using “ at least they aren’t the Tories” when I point Starmer has supported most of Sunaks moves.
They often revert to “ vote Starmer in and make Labour left again “ .
I then point out they they did a great job stopping Starmer eviscerate the party by sacking 50% of the membership and is continuing to do so.

So the last time we were in this position (pre-97 election), Labour at least appeared to have some newish ideas and enthusiasm and energy.

This lot really, really don't -- it's just so clearly about not scaring the horses and there are just no ideas at all apart from...dont scare the horses. Which isn't even an idea. :rolleyes:
That Labour manifesto in full:
1. Don't scare the horses
2. Scare the shit out of the alpacas.

Back
Top Bottom