Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Well, he's certainly winning approval in some quarters:
(paywall-busted version here, if you really want to read the wretched thing)
Put this crude comparison between Johnsonism and Starmerism to the leader’s confidants and they embrace it. “Which party’s manifesto will look most like the 2016 Vote Leave and 2019 Tory offer?” one of Starmer’s closest aides put it to me last week. “It’s ours.”

Starmer is a very shadowy individual. Extrapolate that thirst to control every facet of the Labour party, the compliance and partnership with the ruling class and their media organs, and you have someone serving themselves from behind a veil. And almost certainly an opaque lack of accountability. I think he is bad for the Labour Party (putting them more firmly on the wrong side) and will be bad for the country. The way he ostracised the Newcastle Mayor speaks volumes of his lack of a moral compass and of his emptiness.

It's honestly not a hard beat at this stage. So to throw it all up, sell people out in his party so readily, and more to the point us the electorate, is a dead end and short-sighted.

They are literally no use to us. And are expediating their demise by this betrayal. By this courting of anti-working class and anti-labour interests. He is just a jobsworth clinging to and barking at the behest of the ruling class.

He won't help the economy, he will facilitate it's embezzlement and carrying away into dank, dingy corridors. Nobody will be better off.

It'll be streeting next, stick a tenner on it ;)
Talking of which, I never used to like Hattenstone's style of interviewing, but over the years I've warmed to it. This today on Streeting is pretty good:

Does he think he’s boring? “No, I don’t think I am boring. Hahahahaha! God, I hope that isn’t the headline. Hahahahaha.” He seems to laugh more when he is challenged than when he finds things funny.
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 17.05.20.png

Barney Crockett, former Aberdeen Council Leader and senior Scottish Labour figure quits over Starmer's oil and gas plans saying he is worse than Thatcher.
tbf this plan of Starmers is a good one IF accompanied by the creation of a shitload of green jobs in Scotland during the long transition period - which was going to be the plan, but how much of a row back happens remains to be seen

tbf this plan of Starmers is a good one IF accompanied by the creation of a shitload of green jobs in Scotland during the long transition period - which was going to be the plan, but how much of a row back happens remains to be seen
It can't really be a 'long' transition period, this is becoming ever-more evident, although clearly not within the political class. In terms of green jobs though, it's pretty clear what many of these are going to be and where they are going to be located - much like earlier industrial transitions geography is pretty important - you can't just create a CCS cluster in, say, Leicestershire - many of these jobs depend on locations of existing industry and particular geographic features. So Scotland is massively well placed for these future industries and will likely benefit regardless of government action - but government intervention can both speed things up and potentially favour some of these locations over others (as already seems to be happening - funding has been allocated to some areas and not others in terms of hydrogen and CCS, and IIRC Scotland has missed out on the first round)

It can't really be a 'long' transition period, this is becoming ever-more evident, although clearly not within the political class.
Do you mean it Can't because of the urgency of climate change? That's an opinion (one I share), but Labours No New Oil policy leaves existing fields active for many years yet...I forget what I read now but it was at least 20 iirc... Possibly more

Do you mean it Can't because of the urgency of climate change? That's an opinion (one I share), but Labours No New Oil policy leaves existing fields active for many years yet...I forget what I read now but it was at least 20 iirc... Possibly more
Yep - of course stopping new development is the absolutely essential first step, but really there has to be more thought put into how a declining industry is to be carefully managed out of existence. I'd have to check the Committee on Climate Change projections but I don't think anything other than a miniscule rump oil industry is likely compatible with net zero, so that's 26 years left maximum, which isn't really that long in the scheme of things.

Useful list ... I think a massive round up of everything Starmer has done would be a good resource, for prosterity if nothing else

Back
Top Bottom